Ships Time - Discovery Princess

moodster

I am just trying to determine if the Discovery Princess stays on Pacific time (Seattle time) the entire voyage or if it moves to Alaska Time in the Alaska ports.  Just trying to coordinate some shore excursions along with a meeting that my wife needs to call into on one or two of the port days.

Thanks for insight!

The ship will change time to match the local time zone but don't trust any clocks you may see out on the decks. They are almost always wrong on any Princess ship I've sailed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The ship will change time to match the local time zone but don't trust any clocks you may see out on the decks. They are almost always wrong on any Princess ship I've sailed.

I have watched a Princess desk clock move one hour ahead at 1200 hours (noon) as we sailed east on the TA.  It suddenly became 1300 and the hands of the clock moved forward automatically. 

And yes, Millennials, since we know you can't tell time on a clock with hands, they weren't digital... 😄  

• Haha 3

Most of the time, Princess ships will adjust their clocks to match local time. You will need to find out from people currently on the same itinerary to see if they do so. The one time that we were on a ship that did not change to match local time was on the Island Princess on a partial Panama Canal cruise. The ship stayed on Eastern Time in Costa Rica instead of moving to Central Time. I guess they decided that passengers did not want to move ahead an hour, back an hour, and ahead an hour on subsequent days.

The other comments are correct: ship's time will adjust with local land time. We were on Discovery to Alaska in May, and the time did more 1 hour back the night before our first port (so after the day 2 sea day) and then returned to Pacific Time after day 6 and before our arrival in Victoria on day 7.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Warning about time. Don't trust your phone, it can pick up the incorrect time. Use a watch or set your phone to manual.

The above is very true, and something to watch out for. I've had this happen on several ships, including Discovery in May. I'm told it may have something to do with the location of the land link to the satellite the ship connects to for wifi service. Don't know if that's true, but my phone kept thinking it was somewhere in Kansas, and would automatically set the time accordingly (to US Central Time).  So, I had to set my phone time manually whenever on board and in Airplane Mode.

I would note that, when on shore, with full phone services turned on, the time would adjust to the correct local time after a couple minutes of being connected with local cellular service. But, I had to reset it manually once I'd returned to Airplane Mode onboard the ship.

Hope that's helpful.

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Warning about time. Don't trust your phone, it can pick up the incorrect time. Use a watch or set your phone to manual.

We ALWAYS set my phone to manual mode, paying very close attention to whether or not we have received one of the little cards the steward leaves on the bed when you come back in the evening.  My phone then becomes the "alarm phone".   The next morning I always compare my phone time with the time shown on the TV.  I've never known the TV time to NOT be properly set to ship time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skynight said:

Yep. One time while in the middle of a Panama Canal transit my phone decided I was in Paris. No idea why but the time was definitely not correct. 🤪

• Like 1

Agree with Thrak.  Sometimes you can get a wacky time.

I always have my iphone in my pocket mostly for time & to take pics onboard.

But I learned years ago to also bring a wristwatch.

I bought one of those cheapies onboard, and its traveled with me past

several cruises.  I set it to ships time, when my phone might have other ideas.