CDC should stop punishing cruisers

PC Skier

Having spent time in medical on the Jewel a couple of weeks ago, I can tell you testing or not, COVID is prevalent on the ships. Several crew members had it.  

If you were lucky enough not to get omicron this year and cruise or go through a few airports this summer, you are probably at a pretty high risk of getting COVID. My brother and his wife fell into that category on our cruise. My wife and I had omicron this year, so we were not too worried about it.  Fortunately, with the vaccines and current treatments, it isn’t the same health risk it was 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joelheather said:

I am amazed you guys are testing for free.  we have CINGA they will only pay for test if prescribed by a physician.  So we buy the emed tests. what insurance  covers your testing without a dr.s script?

Kaiser Permanente.  Kaiser isn’t available everywhere, though.  I have a claim in now for tests taken at a lab in London. 

47 minutes ago, milolii said:

Kaiser Permanente.  Kaiser isn’t available everywhere, though.  I have a claim in now for tests taken at a lab in London. 

Though a lab in London just might be out of network.  They'll "cover it" but they might subject it to a deductible higher than the cost.

14 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Walgreens always charged.  They were getting reimbursed by either private insurance or the government.  The government support is potentially going away,

Walgreens didn't do it "for free".

We’ve tested at Walgreens for free twice.  But on their website today, it says fees may now apply due to reduced federal payments.

• Thanks 1

I'll say it again- Please stop the testing. Besides the drama trying to get a flight anywhere, and I have to worry about testing. Keep the vaccine requirement and lets start to move on.

Now many are recommending you fly in 2 days before because of massive cancellations. Adding to the expense and contact with lord knows who, please. Sooner or later we have to begin to move on. My opinion of course.

Not cruising until testing is lifted.  Please NCL-I have a pile of 'cruises I want to book.

Staying on topic-I did hear something about free testing going away on the news a bit back. Not sure I'm %100 on that??? Should of paid more attention that day.🤔

Just something I'll throw out there.....day before I board I have dinner in some restaurant and the person serving me, seated next to me, seating me, chef, bartender....pick one.... has covid. I will be bringing it with me on the ship. Glad I'm tested or glad I'm vaxxed???? Glad you're tested or vaxxed??? So many ways to look at this testing thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Debde said:

I'll say it again- Please stop the testing. Besides the drama trying to get a flight anywhere, and I have to worry about testing.

Staying on topic-I did hear something about free testing going away on the news a bit back. Not sure I'm %100 on that??? Should of paid more attention that day.🤔

Definitely not. Testing should continue for the foreseeable future. 

Testing is preventing active covid from getting on ships. If there was no testing, and more active cases on ships, there will be no cruising. Unlike the sniffles, a crew member with covid will be out of action for a week. (And that is true for me any my employer - I am out of action for 10 days if I test positive). 

And I will throw it out there that the two weeks before go on a cruise, we try to isolate as much as possible. Masks at work. Limit outside activity to minimize the chance of carrying covid onboard. Scheduling time off from work is hard. The investment in getting ready to cruise is big. We would never put that at risk by going out to dinner the night before a cruise. And we have done 7 post restart cruises with 3 more scheduled before the end of the year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We’ve tested at Walgreens for free twice.  But on their website today, it says fees may now apply due to reduced federal payments.

Just talked to my Walgreens pharmacist yesterday.  She said she just found out about the change via memo from 7/1.  What she didn’t know was which conditions would warrant free testing (i.e. age?  Physical requirements?  Etc.).

As far as not cruising because of testing, I don’t think it matters much for any of the cruise lines.  They’re starting to sail at capacity even with testing still in place.

I’ve posted this before on these boards, but it’s very relevant.

We are cruising on the Dawn in September, embarking on a Thursday. If current rules apply then we will most likely test during the day on Monday.

After that we will probably go to the pub Monday night. On Tuesday we will travel to London (2 trains and an underground). We will do something in London in the afternoon and then go to a pub for dinner. We will stay in a hotel that night and then the following morning will travel (2 more trains) to the airport and fly to Amsterdam. Another train into the city and another hotel stay. Add some more time in Amsterdam, get food somewhere and then most likely another bar or two.

When we board on Thursday we will have a test result that will allow us to board. At that point it will say very little about whether we have covid or not.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Debde said:

Not cruising until testing is lifted.  Please NCL-I have a pile of 'cruises I want to book.

I agree. I have had four shots so far and will be getting my fifth this fall. I will not do anything travel related  that requires covid testing. Time to get on with life, Covid is not going away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

That you didn't have a copy or balance does not mean it was free.  The feds paid for it.  From taxpayer dollars.  That "other people's money" thing.  Not free.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Until the islands stop requiring it, the cruise lines won't stop requiring it. It's not just the CDC.

Many of the islands that cruise ships visit stopped requiring vaccination and testing long ago. It does get murky if travelers are non USA citizens.

This list was updated June 30th. The list of islands no longer requiring any testing (or vaccination) for entry is growing daily. 

Islands with No Vaccine Requirement and No testing requirement:

Bonaire

All of BVI islands (Tortilla, Virgin Gorda, etc..)

Cayman islands

Curacao

Dominican Republic

Dominica

Grenada

Haiti

Jamaica

Puerto Rico

Mexico

St Lucia (unvaxed over 5 do require tests)

All of USVI (testing is required if not vaxed and over 5).

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Still free?...Probably not. . . If you don’t meet medical necessity guidelines

• Will I need to pay for my COVID-19 test at Walgreens?

In some cases, your COVID-19 test may be available at no cost to you.* However, due to recent changes to the federal eligibility criteria, beginning July 1 patients will be required to verify medical necessity in order to receive no-cost COVID-19 testing, either through their health plan or through a federal program, if uninsured. Medical necessity includes people who are symptomatic, have a high-risk condition, are pregnant, or have had a recent exposure to a confirmed positive COVID-19 case.

If you don’t meet medical necessity guidelines, payment may be due at the time of your drive-thru COVID-19 testing appointment. If you’d like an at-home testing option that may be covered by your insurance, we recommend checking with your insurance provider for details.

* You will not have out-of-pocket costs if you meet the criteria for no-cost testing through your insurance or a government-funded program. You should contact your insurer before scheduling to confirm the test meets coverage criteria. You may be billed by Walgreens and, if applicable, the laboratory for up to the full price of the test if your insurance denies coverage or you don't meet eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

I asked my doctor his opinion.   He told me to make an appointment the day before or day I left and let them test me.  Insurance will cover 100% of the cost.  He sees it as his responsibility as a health care provider as it protects the public. 

May I suggest that if you don't have a good enough relationship with your doctor/their office to ask such a simple question that maybe you look for another primary care option.  Not sure how you have an open conversation about more sensitive topics that could save your life if you can't ask something so basic.

7 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

I asked my doctor his opinion.   He told me to make an appointment the day before or day I left and let them test me.  Insurance will cover 100% of the cost.  He sees it as his responsibility as a health care provider as it protects the public. 

May I suggest that if you don't have a good enough relationship with your doctor/their office to ask such a simple question that maybe you look for another primary care option.  Not sure how you have an open conversation about more sensitive topics that could save your life if you can't ask something so basic.

My Dr. was fine with ordering testing (my insurance will only pay if Dr. ordered) BUT only does PCR - not an option, both because of the processing time and possibility of a positive result, due to having covid in late May.  But he was willing to provide a recovery certificate - which I plan to try to use next week.  I also made an appointment for on-line monitoring with Azova ($20 for monitoring, using the free govt. test) - so should have that as well.  Figure I'll try the certificate first, just to see if they accept it!

5 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Though a lab in London just might be out of network.  They'll "cover it" but they might subject it to a deductible higher than the cost.

I don’t think so. I was told I’d be reimbursed, even for travel and for this trip and  this test. They did want the US dollar figure which the credit card statement shows.  Do you have Kaiser Permanente coverage?  Everything that is not Kaiser is “out of network”   The discussion of “cover it”  didn’t come up.  The term was reimbursement.  We’ve been 100% reimbursed before. I’ll will post when I get the check. 

We we also advised to submit a claim for “at home “ tests purchased at a UK pharmacy.  Since we purchased  4 for  £2 each,  I didn’t bother. 

Edited by milolii

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

How does that protect the public any more than a person letting their doctor focus on more important things while I just go to CVS, etc?

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

This is nonsense.  Open conversation?  Are you suggesting that some folks can't even bring themselves to discuss Covid with their doctors? 🤣 The "good" doctors are inundated with real health issues these days.  If you have a doctor that has time to focus on such trivial things, perhaps YOU should look for another primary care option.

• Like 2

julig22 thanks for mentioning Azova, hadn't heard of them. Our group is from all different states so the bundle tests will not work. Now we just have to find a six year old to help us do the online chat part. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

COVID test are 100% free at walgreens and CVS.

I wish people would stop saying covid tests are 100% free at Walgreens and CVS. We live in California and there are no tests at either of these pharmacies within 150 miles. PCR tests only with results in 3-5 days.

40 minutes ago, hoopslover said:

I wish people would stop saying covid tests are 100% free at Walgreens and CVS. We live in California and there are no tests at either of these pharmacies within 150 miles. PCR tests only with results in 3-5 days.

They're saying it because until 1 July, for the vast majority of Americans it was a true statement.  Just because you can't get one within 150 miles doesn't mean that the approx. 315,000,000 Americans who don't live within 150 miles of you can't.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, joelheather said:

I am amazed you guys are testing for free.  we have CINGA they will only pay for test if prescribed by a physician.  So we buy the emed tests. what insurance  covers your testing without a dr.s script?

Medicare.

Edited by susiesan

I have 16 free at home covid tests from my medicare insurance. Does Azova want to see when they expire before they monitor the testing? If so, I need to order a bunch more as all of them expire before my cruise in August.

25 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I have 16 free at home covid tests from my medicare insurance. Does Azova want to see when they expire before they monitor the testing? If so, I need to order a bunch more as all of them expire before my cruise in August.

If you have the iHealth ones the government sent out, the expiration date is extended 3 months.

https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/news

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, billslowsky said:

That you didn't have a copy or balance does not mean it was free.  The feds paid for it.  From taxpayer dollars.  That "other people's money" thing.  Not free.

Yes, that is true.  I misstated the situation,  I paid for it with my significant tax dollars too.

7 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

I agree. I have had four shots so far and will be getting my fifth this fall. I will not do anything travel related  that requires covid testing. Time to get on with life, Covid is not going away.

The rest of the world has moved on and accepts testing as a requirement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1