Free Wireless anywhere on Oasis Cruise?

Will be on 9 Day 8/5/22 cruise to the Caribbean and was wondering...

Between the various spots, Labadee, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Philipsburg, St. Maarten are there places that we could log in just to check emails and our home (have multiple cameras that stream)?  Doesn't have to be HIGH Speed but just a connection.

Its not worth paying for the 'on-board' internet as we would only log in maybe 3 times?

Just now, Project-College said:

Between the various spots, Labadee, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Philipsburg, St. Maarten are there places that we could log in just to check emails and our home (have multiple cameras that stream)?

Not in Labadee, but the other ports should have some free wifi places - ask some of the staff where they go.

• Thanks 1

There won't be anything on Labadee as that's basically just an extension of the ship.

Other ports often have free wifi in shops and restaurants nearby.  You might have to buy a drink, or sometimes you can just look for a sign with the password.

Puerto Rico is included with most US based cell providers post paid plans. Unsure where you live so that may not help if you are not a US resident.

My cellular provider gives me free coverage in all those ports.  Check with your cellular provider.  Some have $10 day passes for international data or other options for international data coverage.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Puerto Rico is included with most US based cell providers post paid plans. Unsure where you live so that may not help if you are not a US resident.

My cellular provider gives me free coverage in all those ports.  Check with your cellular provider.  Some have $10 day passes for international data or other options for international data coverage.

I'm USA and with Verizon.  That's a good idea as I can maybe make a HOT SPOT an use that as well.

Make sure you turn on airplane mode when the ship leaves each port.  Once at sea the ship has a cell tower on board and the 3rd party that has roaming agreements with each cellular provider charges outrageous roaming rates that will appear on your cell bill a month later.

Smartphones consume a lot of background data.  Forgetting to turn on airplane mode each time the ship leaves port can be extremely costly.  

• Like 1

While in Puerto Rico, you might want to consider downloading an app that has end-to-end encryption to communicate with loved ones while on the cruise.  I personally haven't tried it yet, but I hear "Whatsapp" is good and free.  Discord is another good alternative.  Google will work as well, provided that you're either in the US or Canada.

Basically, it means that you can keep in touch with someone while abroad, yet the messages will not be stored by the server. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

While in Puerto Rico, you might want to consider downloading an app that has end-to-end encryption to communicate with loved ones while on the cruise.  I personally haven't tried it yet, but I hear "Whatsapp" is good and free.  Discord is another good alternative.  Google will work as well, provided that you're either in the US or Canada.

Basically, it means that you can keep in touch with someone while abroad, yet the messages will not be stored by the server. 

thks

We have a Verizon travel plan that automatically kicks in if we use our phones internationally, $10 a day, unlimited calls, texts and data (our plan at home). It’s $5 in Mexico and Canada but doesn’t work on the ship.

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

While in Puerto Rico, you might want to consider downloading an app that has end-to-end encryption to communicate with loved ones while on the cruise

If you are all on iPhones, Apple's built in Messages app uses end to end encryption.

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Why wait until Puerto Rico to download? Download at home.

In any case to use WhatsApp you still have to have internet either at a hotspot while in port or have purchased an internet package for use onboard. The best option for internet in port is the $10 a day travel passes instead of looking for a free wifi hotspot that might not be secure. When I do use a wifi hotspot anywhere to be secure I use a VPN. When you have your phone on there is going to be stuff happening than messaging. You need more than a secure messaging app. 

If you only need it for ten minutes a couple times during the cruise, you can ask in your Roll Call if anyone would be willing to let you use their connection in exchange for a drink or something.  They log off their phone, then log your phone in with their user name and PIN, then log off your phone when done and log back in on their own phone. 

Otherwise you can purchase a 24-hour period (all at once) for about $25 on the ship.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 11:08 AM, jalves said:

If you are all on iPhones, Apple's built in Messages app uses end to end encryption.

Do you mind to explain what this means to this layperson...lol?  Does it mean that if we have iPhones with iMessage that we can text for free on the ship while in airplane mode?  We only need to be able to text with my sons (also cruising with us) while on the ship and don't need a full internet package if at all possible.  All 4 of us have iPhones.

11 minutes ago, Abby323 said:

Do you mind to explain what this means to this layperson...lol?  Does it mean that if we have iPhones with iMessage that we can text for free on the ship while in airplane mode?  We only need to be able to text with my sons (also cruising with us) while on the ship and don't need a full internet package if at all possible.  All 4 of us have iPhones.

You will need an internet package. No one can text in airplane mode with iMessage or WhatsApp or any other messaging app. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, Project-College said:

Will be on 9 Day 8/5/22 cruise to the Caribbean and was wondering...

Between the various spots, Labadee, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Philipsburg, St. Maarten are there places that we could log in just to check emails and our home (have multiple cameras that stream)?  Doesn't have to be HIGH Speed but just a connection.

Its not worth paying for the 'on-board' internet as we would only log in maybe 3 times?

Just remember, from a cybersecurity perspective, there is nothing "free". Many "free" wifi in international ports are set up to take information you are broadcasting and use it for identity theft. The crew don't care. Maybe you do. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You will need an internet package. No one can text in airplane mode with iMessage or WhatsApp or any other messaging app. 

I think most know that while in airplane mode you turn Wi-Fi on, log into VOOM and then stuff starts working. 

BTW, sometimes some stuff can still sneak in without a VOOM package. 

Edited by Biker19

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think most know that while in airplane mode you turn Wi-Fi on, log into VOOM and then stuff starts working. 

BTW, sometimes some stuff can still sneak in without a VOOM package. 

Yes my intention was to be clear that an internet package was needed. There are folks on different boards who think WhatsApp works without internet.  I recall iMessage sneaking in. I think we used it on Allure of the Seas without a Voom package. But it didn’t sneak in on Harmony. Or was it the other way around? I thought they closed all the leaking. Is it sneaking in on any ships these days? 

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It seems to be very random and no one should count on any of it.

I always buy Voom but we usually sail with a group when we sail Royal Caribbean and a majority of the group  does not  buy internet they only use the app so we always check for the sneaked in iMessage. We were able to take advantage of it a couple of times. Last time though  it didn’t sneak in so we messaged with the app which was problematic……