Princess Book with Confidence & Covid19 Protection Program Discontinued?

PacnGoNow

These programs on Princess show they are valid on voyages through Sep 30, 2022.

Some cruise lines have extended their programs through Dec. 31, 2022.  But, I don’t show Princess has done that.

Has anyone heard what Princess is going to do?  Just let it expire?  If it does expire,

then whatever insurance you have purchased will kick in, if needed? 

Just now, MileHighAko said:

If they let it expire then they must do away with the pre-test requirement.

I don’t think the pre-cruise requirement is Princess’ to let lapse. Isn’t it controlled by the country if embarkation?  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don’t think the pre-cruise requirement is Princess’ to let lapse. Isn’t it controlled by the country if embarkation?  

Yes it is.  Or, in the case of cruiselines that operate in and out of US waters, which of course includes Princess, it’s based on the CDC cruise ship guidance.

12 hours ago, ebeluga said:

I am only aware that Hal extends their policy to end of 2022.  Any other lines?

I was hoping Princess would extend it but looks like they are going to let it expire on Oct 1.

I searched the CCL owned lines, and could not find an extension of these policies, except HAL. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Has anyone heard what Princess is going to do?  Just let it expire?  If it does expire,

Before counting on your insurance, make sure it covers a cancellation due to a declared pandemic disease.  🤧

Maybe Princess will offer some type of insurance (for cost) if you test positive and are denied boarding.  🤷‍♀️

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Before counting on your insurance, make sure it covers a cancellation due to a declared pandemic disease.  🤧

Maybe Princess will offer some type of insurance (for cost) if you test positive and are denied boarding.  🤷‍♀️

That IS covered under PVP, at least for now.  If you made final pymt and bought PVP,  then it should be covered.

It also covers trip interruption, which is a biggie right now.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That IS covered under PVP, at least for now.  If you made final pymt and bought PVP,  then it should be covered.

It also covers trip interruption, which is a biggie right now.

I was more thinking of offering a limited supplement to a 3rd party insurer.  But, you're right, keeping it in PVP may be an incentive for people to purchase their protection.  

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

From what is currently happening with cruising in Northern Europe, several cruise lines no longer requiring pre-boarding testing, I see pre-boarding testing going away very soon for all sailings.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

From what is currently happening with cruising in Northern Europe, several cruise lines no longer requiring pre-boarding testing, I see pre-boarding testing going away very soon for all sailings.

I don't think the CDC will be too eager to remove pre-cruise testing.  One thing about bureaucracies is when they have a policy they think may be working (even to a small degree), they tend to be loath to discontinue a pre-established policy.  Often times it's because nobody wants to take on the responsibility and concurrent blame if things go awry.  In a city close to where I live, police used to direct traffic at main intersections.  After the city installed traffic signals at those intersections the public safety bureaucracy kept the police in the intersections directing traffic using the traffic lights a guide as to who goes and who stops!  😵 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

What happens if they stop boarding pretesting and you have 100’s out of say 3000 guests that become positive?

How will medical handle that? They could be overwhelmed.

Where would they quarantine/isolate?  In their own cabins?  Would you only quarantine if you were really sick?  Is this the honor system? Otherwise, would you be able to go freely around the ship and infect others? 

What about the crew?  There is already a crew shortage on the ships.

How would room service handle a surge? 

At the present time, with the highly contagious Omicron, I see a non tested ship as a possible wildfire spreading covid. 

Sure, if you’re on a 7 day, you may get it when you get off or when you get home.

But, what about the longer cruises?  10+ days, 30 days, world cruises?  That could really be a mess.

There is so much to consider before changing the rules and I am glad that Princess is taking it cautiously and following the CDC cruise ship guidance.

JMHO

• Like 7

17 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

These programs on Princess show they are valid on voyages through Sep 30, 2022.

Some cruise lines have extended their programs through Dec. 31, 2022.  But, I don’t show Princess has done that.

As I recall previous extensions were made as final payments were close to being due. However early October cruises are at final payment which might be an indication that it won’t be extended. HAL has a few things that are different such as extending this date & having a Mother’s Day 10% bonus gift card promotion in May.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall previous extensions were made as final payments were close to being due. However early October cruises are at final payment which might be an indication that it won’t be extended. HAL has a few things that are different such as extending this date & having a Mother’s Day 10% bonus gift card promotion in May.

Yes and final pymt approaching very soon for 25+ day cruises for November cruises as well.

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes and final pymt approaching very soon for 25+ day cruises for November cruises as well.

By not extending the date beyond 9/30/22 that might be a consideration for those with final payment soon when deciding whether to make final payment or to cancel a cruise.

The webpage was updated on 7/1/22 & would think if the Book with Confidence date would be extended it would have been done with that update. As posted the PVP cancel for any reason coverage has the same option to get FCC for cancelation fees & by not extending the date it might be an attempt to sell more PVP plans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

By not extending the date beyond 9/30/22 that might be a consideration for those with final payment soon when deciding whether to make final payment or to cancel a cruise.

The webpage was updated on 7/1/22 & would think if the Book with Confidence date would be extended it would have been done with that update. As posted the PVP cancel for any reason coverage has the same option to get FCC for cancelation fees & by not extending the date it might be an attempt to sell more PVP plans.

Thank you for that observation. Appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wonder if Princess has been bleeding more cash reserves due to having so many IT problems and having to spend way more in this area than would have been budgeted.  IDK if they had more Covid cancellations to provide FCC's for as well.  I know I missed the GC bonus for both Valentine's and M Day as I was planning on buying another $3K.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

What happens if they stop boarding pretesting and you have 100’s out of say 3000 guests that become positive?

How will medical handle that? They could be overwhelmed.

Where would they quarantine/isolate?  In their own cabins?  Would you only quarantine if you were really sick?  Is this the honor system? Otherwise, would you be able to go freely around the ship and infect others? 

What about the crew?  There is already a crew shortage on the ships.

How would room service handle a surge? 

At the present time, with the highly contagious Omicron, I see a non tested ship as a possible wildfire spreading covid. 

Sure, if you’re on a 7 day, you may get it when you get off or when you get home.

But, what about the longer cruises?  10+ days, 30 days, world cruises?  That could really be a mess.

There is so much to consider before changing the rules and I am glad that Princess is taking it cautiously and following the CDC cruise ship guidance.

JMHO

It will be interesting to see how they handle all of the above issues on the Northern Europe cruises???

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I know I missed the GC bonus for both Valentine's and M Day as I was planning on buying another $3K.  Oh well.

I looked for but never saw a Princess GC promotion for M Day and only on HAL.

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I looked for but never saw a Princess GC promotion for M Day and only on HAL.

Agree - when I wrote "missed", it was that I missed them not doing it; not that it got past my attention.  I was on alert for it both times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

I am in such category that you described.  Mulling over whether to buy PVP slightly out of pocket on an Oct cruise that is paid for by FCC...

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Agree - when I wrote "missed", it was that I missed them not doing it; not that it got past my attention.  I was on alert for it both times.

when are you doing your first post-'rona cruise?  wlll you be doing a "live from" detailing what is actually going on the ship?

Just now, voljeep said:

when are you doing your first post-'rona cruise?  wlll you be doing a "live from" detailing what is actually going on the ship?

OCT 01.  It's in my signature block below.  I am sure I will report on what has been hot topics of late and long such as Internet latency and speed,  Internet pricing on Day 1 (although I will pre-order closer to sail date), DMW results and TD experience, masks/no masks, Medallion features, crew service, entertainment.  And of course the cost of wine. 

But I don't do daily blogging and such, so it may be posts to specific threads as opposed to a typical "live from".  We'll see.  

• Like 1