Shuttle Edinburg

sovilav01

For Edinburgh

(by the way you say it “burra” not “bowro”) 😀

In the past they either had a shuttle which dropped you off at Waterloo Place which is at the beginning of Princes Street or one time they gave guests a day pass for the local buses. The bus from the shopping centre by the port (22) goes into town. At Princes Street it’s a left turn over a bridge being dug up (there’s a theme here) and at the next intersection it’s the Royal Mile. Turn right for the castle and left for the Palace. You’re at about the midpoint at the top of North Bridge. 

Im not sure how they’re going to tackle it this year as outside the cruise terminal is dug up and the road is closed. Then the route from Leith into town is one way traffic (ok going in, coming back is on diversions). It’s all because the tram route is being extended right to the cruise terminal. Don’t try and walk it, it’s a long couple of miles and currently no pavements in places

I just hope the port agents have told Azamara about the disruption but as other ships have been there recently they will have solutions 

• Thanks 3

We were there in May, asked the kind volunteers at the port the best way into town and were told to take the number 11 bus, they accepts credit cards.

Make sure you walk through the group selling the HOHO bus tours, the stop is on the other side of the road just left from the zebra crossing. The stop you need is Princes Street near the Scots monument,  you can see the castle from there its a nice uphill.

Have a nice day the Royal Mile is amazing.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

We were there in May, asked the kind volunteers at the port the best way into town and were told to take the number 11 bus, they accepts credit cards.

Make sure you walk through the group selling the HOHO bus tours, the stop is on the other side of the road just left from the zebra crossing. The stop you need is Princes Street near the Scots monument,  you can see the castle from there its a nice uphill.

Have a nice day the Royal Mile is amazing.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

Good idea to ask the volunteers- the 11 is on a divert just now and they’ve moved the stop at Leith again this last few weeks.  We natives spend so long playing hunt the bus stop every Monday 😂😂

Given the scale of the walking and the fact that the middle of Edinburgh is in fact 3/4 way up a hill and you dock at sea level, the HOHO is a good shout as you can get to the Castle direct on it, come off walk down the Royal Mile to the palace after you’ve visited the castle (outside or outside an inside depending on your wishes). Only the uphill walking lovers go to the Palace then walk up to the Castle. 
The Royal Mile is a Scots mile by the way (1.8 km) it’s over a mile! 

The Castle Esplanade is covered in scaffolding because of the tattoo but make sure you go behind the stands on both sides. Really gives a great view first to the north and the river and then on the other side to the south and the hills. Tourists sometimes get confused, we are water and beach north and hills south. 

The hoho has the advantage it will also go round some of Georgian areas between Princes Street and the north and also over past Greyfriars Bobby etc in the other direction.  There is no direct transport down the Royal Mile, it’s pedestrian only (unless you are HRH) in one section. 

If you are sure you want hoho it’s cheaper to buy tickets ahead online. 

PS. Most buses only take credit cards if you have contactless cards, they can’t work with signed for or PIN numbers. A day saver is the best option.  

There’s good bus guidance here and the app might be a good idea to add to your phone as it will be up to date re routes including emergency diverts 

https://www.lothianbuses.com

Edited by uktog
Added LRT link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Another Edinburgh resident here. The Hop on hop off bus is a really good suggestion for tourists. They go to all the best sights and give good information via the headsets. I wouldn't bother trying to negotiate the local buses right now. The routes are diverted and messed up by road works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Another Edinburgh resident here. The Hop on hop off bus is a really good suggestion for tourists. They go to all the best sights and give good information via the headsets. I wouldn't bother trying to negotiate the local buses right now. The routes are diverted and messed up by road works.

I'm up on the train to Edinburgh tomorrow just for a couple of days and have bought two hoho tickets. It's a while since I've been there and am looking forward to it. I'll report back here on how I get on. I know there are lots of roadworks around Edinburgh just now. 

Phil 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sovilav01 said:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I was sure Cruise Critic would be the best place to ask 😀Regarding roadworks, same in Montreal, it’s awful 😣 

Your comment reminds of the two seasons in Canada: Winter and Roadworks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, nordski said:

Your comment reminds of the two seasons in Canada: Winter and Roadworks.

Made me laugh - guests wont be driving much or cycling in town but we have a third season - potholes although they could be counted as pre roadworks but the rate of infill these days with the government spending cuts that pre period is years now.  It needs to go to mini sinkhole before anything happens

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, uktog said:

Made me laugh - guests wont be driving much or cycling in town but we have a third season - potholes although they could be counted as pre roadworks but the rate of infill these days with the government spending cuts that pre period is years now.  It needs to go to mini sinkhole before anything happens

And in Quebec (province), we have big orange cones, I am surprised you also have potholes as your weather is milder than our.

Edited by sovilav01
Add text

Sounds like our area of NY - we are glad we have a Subaru now instead of our smaller cars (Fiat 500, Honda Fit, etc.).  But having just been in Quebec province,  the roads were better than ours except for all the work in Montreal and Quebec City.   

Enjoy Edinburra - wonderful city, esp. If it doesn't rain. We had 6 glorious days almost completely rain free on a land trip but our one day cruise stop it was torrential.   Wishing you a great cruise and fair weather. 

Edited by the mice
to finish my reply
  • Thanks 1

The above sounds like much of east coast New South Wales this year, where we drive on what's left of the road, bound to be worse again after the third disaster level flood this year!

We are lucky to be in an elevated area.

• Like 3

Have tickets for the Tattoo on Wednesday August 10th with Wallace prepackage at the Scotch Whiskey Experience.  Not too concerned about transport from Dock into downtown, am wondering on any advice on what transport to use to return to Quest after the show.

12 minutes ago, boots2 said:

Have tickets for the Tattoo on Wednesday August 10th with Wallace prepackage at the Scotch Whiskey Experience.  Not too concerned about transport from Dock into downtown, am wondering on any advice on what transport to use to return to Quest after the show.

After the show the one thing you have to do is move away from the vicinity of the Tattoo.

What I would do is walk down the Royal Mile to Deacon Brodie Pub

Turn left there down The Mound - a twisting hill down to Princes Street

At Princes Street cross the road and turn left to the bus stop beside Boots the Chemist

Take the No 11 bus towards North Leith

Ocean Terminal by the cruise terminal is the last stop

I have mapped this based on going tonight so you can see the bus route, hope it shows

https://www.lothianbuses.com/live-travel-info/journey-planner/

Your alternative is to use Uber but when the tattoo comes out each night their prices are v high.  Uber cannot drive on Princes Street so if you are going to use them, I would suggest you follow the directions about but stop part way down and call uber from there.  Or alternatively, go down to Princes Street, cross over and go up the road opposite Hanover Street and call from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

After the show the one thing you have to do is move away from the vicinity of the Tattoo.

What I would do is walk down the Royal Mile to Deacon Brodie Pub

Turn left there down The Mound - a twisting hill down to Princes Street

At Princes Street cross the road and turn left to the bus stop beside Boots the Chemist

Take the No 11 bus towards North Leith

Ocean Terminal by the cruise terminal is the last stop

I have mapped this based on going tonight so you can see the bus route, hope it shows

https://www.lothianbuses.com/live-travel-info/journey-planner/

Your alternative is to use Uber but when the tattoo comes out each night their prices are v high.  Uber cannot drive on Princes Street so if you are going to use them, I would suggest you follow the directions about but stop part way down and call uber from there.  Or alternatively, go down to Princes Street, cross over and go up the road opposite Hanover Street and call from there.

We are very good walkers, is it safe and easy to manage to walk back to the ship?

12 minutes ago, sovilav01 said:

We are very good walkers, is it safe and easy to manage to walk back to the ship?

I would not walk all the way back to the ship just now.  Its safe for the main part, but with the tram works there is a lot in Leith Walk with no pavements, thats why the bus is going that indirect route as the road is closed to them.  At night they do some of the heavy lifting work on the tram works so even more pavement gets stopped off.  Some of the side roads are not so great in terms of being where I would walk at night.  Sadly you would be walking near where some of the homeless people hang out - and if you made a wrong turn at one point you could decide a route that takes you to where ladies will offer you services should you wish..... 🙂

30 minutes ago, uktog said:

I would not walk all the way back to the ship just now.  Its safe for the main part, but with the tram works there is a lot in Leith Walk with no pavements, thats why the bus is going that indirect route as the road is closed to them.  At night they do some of the heavy lifting work on the tram works so even more pavement gets stopped off.  Some of the side roads are not so great in terms of being where I would walk at night.  Sadly you would be walking near where some of the homeless people hang out - and if you made a wrong turn at one point you could decide a route that takes you to where ladies will offer you services should you wish..... 🙂

Thanks a lot for a clear answer, I am the lady who prefers to be offered to my husband for more than 40 years 😉

• Haha 1

I am sure many of us have bought tickets for the Tattoo on the August 10th. I haven't thought too much about getting from the ship to the location of the event. We have bought the Amber Package. I have copied the instructions from uktog to get a bus back to the ship. Don't know how often the bus runs or the cost. It is time I start thinking about getting from the ship to the venue. What are others doing? Any suggestions?

The No 11 bus runs every 20 minutes.  The single fare is £1.80 exact fare.  I would suggest you download the Lothian Bus app to your phone if you can as that will keep you up to date with buses on the day  

https://tfeapp.com

It will be easier to get an Uber to the tattoo as it is not like everyone is asking for a ride at the same time.  

You can use the reverse on the bus - No 11 from Ocean Terminal, get the bus to Princes Street, walk uphill up the Mound and well at that point follow the crowds!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

We went to the Tattoo when we were on the Journey in 2019. We followed the advice that uktog gave us about getting the bus back to the ship. It was very easy.

Glad it worked.  You know, although we were heading for a different way home, I learned that way to get out of the tattoo in the 1960s from my dear Dad, always one who knew the good routes -  I think his time serving for his country taught him that.  In the 60s the tattoo was a much smaller affair but then still "crowds" for those days.  You could even turn up on the night and buy a ticket.  My how times have changed!!!!

Anyone who has packages, just check if your package also gives you post tattoo entertainment/drinks.  They are perfect for avoiding the crowds and if you stay there for say 30 minutes,  you should then be able to pick up an Uber at Deacon Brodies.  The black cabs will still be as rare as hens teeth

• Like 2

I wouldn't count on Ubers. They are not nearly as prevalent in Edinburgh as apparently in other places. I wouldn't use anything other than a black cab if not using the bus. 

There will be an absolute avalanche of people leaving the castle after the tattoo. Everyone will be looking for transport. If the ship offers a package including transport I'd snap it up. 

PS as an Edinburgh resident I avoid the Royal Mile like the plague. It's jam packed with tourists. There are so many other, different, interesting places to go. 

Good luck anyway.

Interesting, I certainly agree the Royal Mile is busy but then, the cruise guests are the very tourists Edinburgh depends on!  If its your first time in Edinburgh the Royal Mile is an absolute must.

Our experience post tattoo was Uber was best - also we often are at Ocean Terminal needing to get back to south of Edinburgh and never had an issue getting Uber.  Getting City Cabs Central or Capital Cars, now that has been our nightmare but I have put their links below should folks want to go down the booked black cab route

https://www.citycabs.co.uk

https://www.taxis-edinburgh.co.uk

https://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1