Ovation Confusion....

We are booked on Ovation for next June to Alaska.  We are currently in cabin 11718 which I thought was starboard side.  Was told that for these cruises it is better to be on portside.  I called to see about a change to portside and the operator said that we WERE on portside.  I'm not sure that this was correct information.  Can someone who understands "ship lingo" better than I tell me where I am.....and if it is worth making the change where we are currently located.  Thank you for the help!!!

4 minutes ago, dman1 said:

We are booked on Ovation for next June to Alaska.  We are currently in cabin 11718 which I thought was starboard side.  Was told that for these cruises it is better to be on portside.  I called to see about a change to portside and the operator said that we WERE on portside.  I'm not sure that this was correct information.  Can someone who understands "ship lingo" better than I tell me where I am.....and if it is worth making the change where we are currently located.  Thank you for the help!!!

11718 is the last balcony cabin aft on the starboard side of the ship.  Easy to remember is port is left side of ship and both have four letters.  Right is starboard side of ship.

• Like 2

Port is the left side and right is starboard. Looks like your cabin is starboard. I don’t think that either side is bad. We had amazing views from out starboard balcony on Ovation in 2019 and booked a starboard cabin for our cruise Ovation  next may. 

Edited by WxNerd

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of your feedback!  Just curious...I went to look at booking excursions and the only days that are accessible on the site is Day 4 and Day 8.  Will they add the other days over time? Never had this issue before.

32 minutes ago, dman1 said:

Thank you for all of your feedback!  Just curious...I went to look at booking excursions and the only days that are accessible on the site is Day 4 and Day 8.  Will they add the other days over time? Never had this issue before.

Yes....more excursions will be added as RCI finalizes with different port providers.

Also find your rollcall for your ship/dates you might join with other's that have arranged private group tours or as things open up book your own tours with providers. Do some research..often booking your own is a better option than with the ship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dman1 said:

Same for our May 26 cruise, I think there have been some issues with excursions this season so they are probably working on new contracts. 

Lots of great discussion about excursions in the Alaska section of the Ports of Call board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/). 

In 2019 we booked our own excursions and will likely do the same next summer. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, WxNerd said:

I think there have been some issues with excursions this season so they are probably working on new contracts. 

They did when we were on Ovation this last May.  We had an excursion canceled and did not find out until after boarding the ship.  They said it had to be canceled because the one they contracted with could not find enough people willing to work the excursion.   We were able to book a different excursion.

19 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They did when we were on Ovation this last May.  We had an excursion canceled and did not find out until after boarding the ship.  They said it had to be canceled because the one they contracted with could not find enough people willing to work the excursion.   We were able to book a different excursion.

On Ovation last month our Skagway excursion was cancelled after boarding. Only found out when I noticed the refund on our account.

• Like 1