The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 5th, 2022

richwmn

Hello from beautiful Gander, Newfoundland,  we are having a great time!  Lobster yesterday, and moose stroganoff today.  We are so lucky that DD ‘s boyfriend is a great chef,  he reminded us while we watched Come From Away that he cooked for three days after 9/11, kosher chili!  We went to the Aviation Museum this morning and saw the piece of the Twin Towers that was sent to Gander in thanks for all they did.

the restaurant yesterday nearTwillingate

B08B8170-F3D5-4A1E-ABBB-0644C102A9EE.thumb.jpeg.88bea45762d2c60592a26caad67b5a75.jpeg

F610D98A-FA8C-4142-A81C-C9A3239DA592.thumb.jpeg.483eb4d1b6a3df4812ecf04e6d80ecfa.jpeg

Typical scenery!

227E05ED-D6B7-46F2-981C-F0BC7038B2D7.thumb.jpeg.53c67979e29a7b0028db919f74b504eb.jpeg

Planes converging on Gander, 9/11

7FC68A80-F0A6-4B86-94EE-6779D333A3FB.thumb.jpeg.93922bab977f14605898fd28f06c5a62.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Hello from beautiful Gander, Newfoundland,  we are having a great time!  Lobster yesterday, and moose stroganoff today.  We are so lucky that DD ‘s boyfriend is a great chef,  he reminded us while we watched Come From Away that he cooked for three days after 9/11, kosher chili!  We went to the Aviation Museum this morning and saw the piece of the Twin Towers that was sent to Gander in thanks for all they did.

the restaurant yesterday nearTwillingate

B08B8170-F3D5-4A1E-ABBB-0644C102A9EE.thumb.jpeg.88bea45762d2c60592a26caad67b5a75.jpeg

F610D98A-FA8C-4142-A81C-C9A3239DA592.thumb.jpeg.483eb4d1b6a3df4812ecf04e6d80ecfa.jpeg

Typical scenery!

227E05ED-D6B7-46F2-981C-F0BC7038B2D7.thumb.jpeg.53c67979e29a7b0028db919f74b504eb.jpeg

Planes converging on Gander, 9/11

7FC68A80-F0A6-4B86-94EE-6779D333A3FB.thumb.jpeg.93922bab977f14605898fd28f06c5a62.jpeg

Any luck on Pat's medicine?

Roy

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Any luck on Pat's medicine?

Roy

Absolutely!  Shoppers called Victoria, and immediately gave him 30 days’ worth.  Easy peasy!  

Thanks for thinking of us.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I looked up the airports that received diverted flights that day. Halifax received the most flights, Vancouver the most passengers (because of very large planes on Pacific routes). Transport Canada attempted to keep flights from landing at Toronto Pearson, Ottawa, or Montreal Dorval because they are large, busy airports, but some were eventually routed to them. There was little choice with Pacific flights because Vancouver was the only airport that could handle some of the aircraft. Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg received flights from transpolar routes.

Lufthansa named an A340 Gander–Halifax in honor of the two that received Lufthansa flights.

Data according to Nav Canada[17]
Airport Airport Code # of Planes # of Passengers
Halifax International Airport YHZ 47 7,300[21]
Gander International Airport YQX 38 6,600
Vancouver International Airport YVR 34 8,500
St. John's International Airport YYT 21  
Winnipeg International Airport YWG 15  
Toronto Pearson International Airport YYZ 14  
Calgary International Airport YYC 13  
Montréal–Mirabel International Airport YMX 10  
Greater Moncton International Airport YQM 10  
Stephenville International Airport YJT 8  
Montréal-Dorval International Airport YUL 7  
Canadian Forces Base Goose Bay YYR 7  
Edmonton International Airport YEG 6  
Hamilton International Airport YHM 4  
Whitehorse International Airport YXY 2  
Yellowknife Airport YZF 1  
Deer Lake Airport YDF 1  
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham.  When we were there we were able to walk to downtown, too.  Beautiful city.

We did well today.  I had two little pink spots on my face that she froze.  Come back in a year.  DH had a spot on his face she took a biopsy of and we hope that comes back okay.  She told him to come back in a year also, but I guess they have to wait and see what the biopsy says.  

Prayers 🙏 for the all clear on your husband's biopsy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I've taken the opposite approach.  While these incidents are far too frequent I think in the scheme of things they are relatively rare (but with some sensible measures they should be much more rare).  Part of the problem is that the press thrives on them.  I wonder if there would be as many of these people if they didn't consider it a ticket to instant fame. 

Since I got dumped off QM2 in Perth 28 months ago things have changed for me with a heart valve issue which has affected my stamina and my ability to do things.  While a repair restored much of what I lost, I can no longer do the long strings of cruises that I used to love and am staying closer to home.  I would like to put off cruising until covid is totally controlled but expect by that time I may be unable to cruise so I'm doing it now.  I know there's a risk but people are getting sick at home so I'm just accepting a little extra risk to continue living the best life I can while I can.  The protocols are annoying but they are minimizing my risk and it's a compromise that I think is right for me.

Roy

Roy, I totally agree with you. With a minor lung issue I’ve been super cautious since Covid began. I felt safer on the Rotterdam in January then I feel walking into the local grocery store. I won’t even consider getting on a plane. We’ll cruise again in November but we’ll drive to Lauderdale to get on the ship. Love you all.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 19

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I enjoy apple turnovers from Tim's, have NEVER had a bikini body, and am far too easy going to ever become a workaholic.  They tend to be type A personalities; I think I'm a D or even an E.  LOL  We've been to Stockholm on the Rotterdam and took a HO HO bus tour which we really enjoyed, especially because the weather was absolutely perfect for it.

Super late to the party today - the morning was spent getting the family ready to depart for their home in Calgary.  In addition to being very tender hearted, I suffer from separation anxiety (which apparently stems from when I was adopted at 18 months), so spent most of the morning in tears.  I'm great at hellos, but goodbyes just do me in.  This afternoon has been spent stripping beds, doing laundry, sweeping and mopping floors. Wow, those littles certainly know how to drop food and on the floors!  I'm glad we contained them to the kitchen and deck table areas.   The one thing I'm almost not wanting to do is erase the little fingerprints on the glass topped tables.   I said almost.

The sound you hear in our house today is silence . . . it's amazing how full of sound the house was with the family in it.  I have to tell you Sochi was a real trooper, being very gentle around the boys, especially the little one who just wanted to be friends - very-close-up-in-your-face-friends.  LOL  This afternoon she's off her perch on a shelf above the computer and wandering around the house.  She knew she was safe from prying fingers and loud voices when she was up there. 

Feeling such sadness for the 3 communities and the senseless gun violence that took place on a day when there should have been nothing but fun and laughter.

@Overhead Fredlove your lake photos - but that deck furniture looks just like the set we absolutely could not get put together and had to return to Canadian Tire.  The chair pieces were misaligned and were impossible to match, so back they went.

@kazuI'm glad your jam jelled; it sounds like you're super busy while there's good weather, just don't overdo it!

I like that today's menu suggestion is a dessert - yay!  We've had Mexican Wedding Cookies, as a former neighbour was from Mexico and used to make them for us at Christmas.  We're tuckered out from getting the house back into order, so it's going to be a simple dinner for us consisting of Monte Cristo sandwiches and tomato soup on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who are so brave.  We'll clink our glasses together to salute all on the celebration list.  Get your boosters, be safe, wear masks when needed and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Good, um, afternoon, all! Now we’re talking, with both the meal and one of the days being deserts! DH had an MRI this morning, so I was able to read the Daily but not really respond. Now we are having summer at last, at least for today. I’ll take what we can get. The banana plants have been watered, and the roses have been watered and fertilized. The afternoon has been spent on the phone and email with BC Ferries who have billed us for not showing up for our reservation on the ferry we took to Salt Spring. Lots of people have been talked to and copies of the corresponding receipts have been emailed to the appropriate department. They will get back to us with a decision in 3 to 4 weeks.

Tonight we are having linguine made from legume flour with pesto sauce and meatloaf. 
The banana plants are doing alright now, but not anywhere near what they were at this time last year.

This July 5.

04BED208-2F55-4B44-85B8-5AD1B1CF6F7F.thumb.jpeg.b0828ff18bf0c245e18037bd63c2adc8.jpeg

Last July 5.

72D12EF1-11B8-49FE-9321-A8410243AA7B.thumb.png.4093da0cec080592e33390583357591f.png

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Why aren’t I relaxing on a BHB right now?🤔

• Like 24

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning/ afternoon. Trust you all had a memorable holiday. Can’t remember the last time I slept till 10:30 but I did just that. Must be the sound of the breaking surf.

We had quite a array of fireworks up and down the beach and as you will see a prettier sunset last night!

Thanks for the Fleet Report. Have a great week.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cd62f89b1825fbdb567db46840348a2.jpeg

Love  the  sunset. Thank  you  for  posting  it. 

Jim.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

DD was on duty as an ATC in Vancouver on that day.  She said it was a giant parking lot!

Captain Beverly Bass from AA Flight 49.  "On final approach we're coming into runway two-two and I'm thinking 'Where am I going to park this thing?  There are planes lined up like sardines'".  I wonder, was it DD or ground crew that figured out all the parking arrangements.

Roy

• Like 16

I think that I may finally be caught up from 2020. I run a small film series, and in 2020 I had scheduled a screening of Miracle of Miracles, which is a documentary about the making of Fiddler on the Roof, to coincide with a road-company production at our local performing-arts center. The road show was, of course, cancelled, and we were closed anyway.

The arts center brought the road show here in May, and I rescheduled the documentary for June. That night the weather forecast was dire, and I postponed it again. That night, the storms were to the north and south of us but not here, and it could have taken place, except that everyone would have been afraid to go out. On the next rescheduled date, the facility was suddenly unavailable, so this was our third try.

Although I always let the credits play all the way to the end, this was the first time that everyone remained seated and watched the entirety of them.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@Overhead Fredlove your lake photos - but that deck furniture looks just like the set we absolutely could not get put together and had to return to Canadian Tire.  The chair pieces were misaligned and were impossible to match, so back they went.

Yep, Canadian Tire furniture. Luckily ours went together okay. I read their reviews before purchasing and was aware that many people had trouble putting them together. So I was prepared for the possibility of returning them. They are quite comfortable!

• Like 13

Thanks for all the reports.  Have been to Sweden and Stockholm, but not by ship.  The photo of the "Vasa" bought back happy memories.

A sunny day after rain last evening, but the wind is very cold..... feels like it is direct from the South Pole!

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14

Going to bed a little later than I wanted but I think I’m ready for my trip. Getting up at 4:15am to leave for the airport at 5:30am. I’ll have time to catch up with today’s Daily at the airport lounge. Good night!

• Like 15

5 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Going to bed a little later than I wanted but I think I’m ready for my trip. Getting up at 4:15am to leave for the airport at 5:30am. I’ll have time to catch up with today’s Daily at the airport lounge. Good night!

Safe travels and have a great time.

Lenda

• Like 5