Outdoor dining options?

ew101

After a recent warm weather cruise where we took most meals poolside, is such a thing possible on Cunard?  We will be in steerage, so the room service /balcony thing may not be possible.  In the past some lines have had a branch office of the buffet outside, or lately small specialty booths.  I recall on the QM2 an upper deck dining venue near the funnel?  Would it be open on a trip to the Islands?  

On QE and QV I think there's a burger place on the aft pool deck but in any case it's easy to pick up food in the buffet and carry it through the automatic doors to aft pool deck to enjoy.  I think there's also semi-open space in Winter Garden forward of the buffet and then some tables on the pool deck.  Pretty sure I've done all 3.

I expect Queen Ann will be much the same.

QM2 is more problematic.  I especially notice it now since I prefer to eat outdoors for greater safety from a covid standpoint.  If you're looking at a Caribbean cruise the Boardwalk Cafe MIGHT be open but I think the odds are against it with the crew being saddled with other covid prevention duties (like actually serving all the buffet food).  The options I've tried require some real desire to get outside, and willingness to compromise on food that is easy to carry while dealing with heavy doors.

1. There are several chairs with little tables on Deck 8.  Access is from the stairs next to the Queens Grill:

lunch02.jpg

2. There are about 3 proper tables aft on the promenade deck that might work for breakfast items but the tables are almost sure to be taken by lunch time.

alfresco.jpg

Finally, you could take very selected items like pizza, a sandwich, or bowl of ice cream out to the promenade deck and use either a lounger or sit on one of the big boxes where they store lounger cushions.

No really good options but where there's a will there may be a way.

Roy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

On QE and QV there is also the Courtyard. We lunch there quite often, especially  when in port on sunny days.

He stated he was in "steerage", no such area, but dining in Courtyard will not be available to him.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

On QE and QV I think there's a burger place on the aft pool deck but in any case it's easy to pick up food in the buffet and carry it through the automatic doors to aft pool deck to enjoy.  I think there's also semi-open space in Winter Garden forward of the buffet and then some tables on the pool deck.  Pretty sure I've done all 3.

I expect Queen Ann will be much the same.

QM2 is more problematic.  I especially notice it now since I prefer to eat outdoors for greater safety from a covid standpoint.  If you're looking at a Caribbean cruise the Boardwalk Cafe MIGHT be open but I think the odds are against it with the crew being saddled with other covid prevention duties (like actually serving all the buffet food). 

Well we all remember the days of "Hygiene Theater" - closing the self-service buffets and spraying the corridors with tanks of poison.  I wonder who has the authority to re-open the Boardwalk Cafe with re-directed staff?  On the other hand there may just be three or four of us who prefer this on every voyage.  

20 hours ago, ew101 said:

I do see a Lido Grill on the QE deck plans.  Any ideas on hours or menus?  

Fries were OK but I had a very forgettable burger there with them, once. Maybe the hot dogs are better. I haven't tried it since.