Too soft mattress

pedirn

On 8/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, abbydancer said:

Reading this, I think I just dodge a bullet.  We were on the Ruby in December, and DH asked if he could take the mattress home.  So we decided to order the bed.  They say a 12 week turn around, so we waited until we had about a 2 month break in travel and ordered at the beginning of April.

So now mid August, and no bed.  The order status is unfulfilled.  I've emailed a few times, and no answer. 

I called today, and apparently Princess has paused the selling of the beds.  Not that anyone told me.  The person I spoke to was very nice, and they are refunding it, as well as the mattress topper and cover that I've already received.

A few years ago, there was a poster who figured out the manufacturer of the princess mattress,

and the 'common name' that it was sold under.   My recollection: they were very satisified with the mattress,

and it was less expensive than the princess branded product.

I will see if I can dig up the post.

9 hours ago, greenumbrella said:

So we decided to buy the Princess Luxury Bed for home.  I ordered March 7, 2022 and finally got delivery on May 6.  The mattress is made by Sherwood Bedding in Orlando, Fl.  Since I live one hour away, I thought I would get quick delivery.  Not to be.  No response to anything on the Princess Luxury Bed website or phone.  Since I ordered the mattress topper as well (and received it within a week of order!)., I contacted that company retail at SobelWestex dot com and actually had a person answer and try to help.  Apparently the mattress and box were picked up by the delivery company early on, it just took them over 6 weeks to find time to deliver it!  Now that I have slept on it for a while,  we are fairly happy with the mattress.  We are disappointed with the topper.  It should be about 6 inches bigger in both directions and is not as soft as our ship experience.  

we just ordered a Sherwood from a local mattress store and had it in 2 weeks.

I have no idea why people would order a mattress from a cruise ship company

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

A few years ago, there was a poster who figured out the manufacturer of the princess mattress,

and the 'common name' that it was sold under.   My recollection: they were very satisified with the mattress,

and it was less expensive than the princess branded product.

I will see if I can dig up the post.

This is part 1:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2377812-new-princess-beds/#comment-51140922

I know there was more information about buying a specific Sherwood model that matched the princess branded mattress.

Hopefully someone remembers the details, or I will try an find the post.

One more tidbit.   This sales page for the princess mattress advises the purchaser to contact

www.sherwoodbedding.com for issues.

That seems to confirm the brand shown on the lables in the above-linked post.

Edited by Roberto256

So apparently the mattress that Princess buys from Sherwood is unique to them, and not available from Sherwood.  They called me today.

I assume that when Princess needs new mattress, they'll have them made as they did before.  Sherwood is still there, Princess has just stopped their retail program.

I guess it's Marriott for us.

10 hours ago, abbydancer said:

So apparently the mattress that Princess buys from Sherwood is unique to them, and not available from Sherwood.  They called me today.

I assume that when Princess needs new mattress, they'll have them made as they did before.  Sherwood is still there, Princess has just stopped their retail program.

I guess it's Marriott for us.

Yes - that is not uncommon that companies make "special models" just for them. Westin had the "Heavenly bed". They made that just for them. Simmons/Beautyrest makes beds for others but none are the same "formula" as the Heavenly bed. Others will have different coil count, etc.... Thus you have to go direct to the hotel to get the bed.

The Marriott bed does rank highly!

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, abbydancer said:

So apparently the mattress that Princess buys from Sherwood is unique to them, and not available from Sherwood. 

I wish I could believe that however I used to work with a guy who used to work for a brewery and he said he was always amazed how you could get 21 different brand names of beer from 3 vats.

Just saying that it’s possible you’d be getting the same mattress at Princess that you could get from Sherwood directly

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I wish I could believe that however I used to work with a guy who used to work for a brewery and he said he was always amazed how you could get 21 different brand names of beer from 3 vats.

Just saying that it’s possible you’d be getting the same mattress at Princess that you could get from Sherwood directly

You'd think, but the guy at Sherwood said no.

And on simpler consumer goods, that's absolutely true.  For example Costco brand batteries are Duracell.  

Ref Too Soft Mattress:

Here is a benefit not mentioned as of yet.

If the water starts to get rough, tuck your blankets in real tight.

Then wiggle down under the blanket as you sink down into the mattress.

This will keep you from being tossed out of bed as fish swim across your balcony.  😁

Bob

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

August 4. 2023 Quebec City to NYC

Cabin P207 Oceanview

I like a firmer mattress. This mattress is like a hammock. I talked to our cabin steward, but he did not have a solution. After five days of backaches, I decided to sleep on the floor. My husband, sleeping in the other twin bed (looking at me as the odd person that I am)  suggested flipping the mattress. OMG! What a difference! He saved my back for the rest of the cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, Sea Hag said:

Definitely not what I want to hear, but thanks for the heads-up. We're going to be on the Discovery in August, and I've really been enjoying the soft mattresses on Princess ships the last several cruises. 

We were on the Discovery a couple of months ago and the beds were the same as on all other ships.  I think you will be fine.  

On 7/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Bgwest said:

We've had the entire mattress replaced on more that one cruise. Advise your cabin steward right away and also notify guest services. We've had extremely good luck with quick replacements.

No boards ever. But a replacement mattress. 

While a long time ago - I had my mattress replaced with an equally bad or worse mattress. So the replacement maybe worse than the original. They are not pulling a mattress out of a box, they are amongst those who had been returned for other reasons.

• Like 2

I just looked at Sherwood Bedding. They are now 80% owned by Tempur-pedic/Sealy company (as of 2020). That company also owns Sterns and Foster.

So they are a division of the largest mattress company in the world.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were on the Discovery a couple of months ago and the beds were the same as on all other ships.  I think you will be fine.  

I definitely was. This was a cruise in August of 2022. The beds were great. 😁

My sympathies!  I can totally relate to your husband's anguish.  Last fall we did a transatlantic on Regal Princess.  I tossed and turned for 4 hours the first night before I gave up and moved to the sofa.  We had a mini suite.  From then on I had the room steward make me up a little bed on the sofa at night.  We just did Alaska in May on the Crown and once again, the bed was absolutely horrible.  I didn't even try the first night.  I had the steward make up the sofa for me.  After about the 4th night she begged me to let her fold out the couch into a bed so I agreed.  It was actually much better than the sofa and especially better than the bed.  I don't know what Princess is so proud of with those mattresses.  They are really horrible.  Great I guess if you like sleeping on a pile of squishy marshmallows.  I used to really like their mattresses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gr82cu2 said:

I don't know what Princess is so proud of with those mattresses.  They are really horrible.  Great I guess if you like sleeping on a pile of squishy marshmallows.  I used to really like their mattresses.

I’ve had the marshmallows. Absolutely no support. My mattress on our recent Sapphire Princess cruise was amazing.  After my first night of sleep at home afterward, I realized it was even better than mine. All Princess mattresses are definitely not created equally. Or maybe they were created equally, but have been broken down over time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 10:23 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’ve had the marshmallows. Absolutely no support. My mattress on our recent Sapphire Princess cruise was amazing.  After my first night of sleep at home afterward, I realized it was even better than mine. All Princess mattresses are definitely not created equally. Or maybe they were created equally, but have been broken down over time. 

My spouse had back problems for weeks after a Hawaiian trip. We both like really firm & Princess was like as someone said..Marshmallows.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:54 PM, gr82cu2 said:

My sympathies!  I can totally relate to your husband's anguish.  Last fall we did a transatlantic on Regal Princess.  I tossed and turned for 4 hours the first night before I gave up and moved to the sofa.  We had a mini suite.  From then on I had the room steward make me up a little bed on the sofa at night.  We just did Alaska in May on the Crown and once again, the bed was absolutely horrible.  I didn't even try the first night.  I had the steward make up the sofa for me.  After about the 4th night she begged me to let her fold out the couch into a bed so I agreed.  It was actually much better than the sofa and especially better than the bed.  I don't know what Princess is so proud of with those mattresses.  They are really horrible.  Great I guess if you like sleeping on a pile of squishy marshmallows.  I used to really like their mattresses.

Since they have debuted these mattresses, I have had really comfortable ones and horrible ones.

I am guessing they are not holding up well or not being replaced as often as they should be. Mine on the Crown in May was horrible.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, trin880 said:

Ok, this topic making me anxious. I'll be on Royal Princess in a week. Soft mattress - and I won't even sleep. Any feedback about mattresses on Royal? 

We were on the Royal in May (Emerald Deck) and our mattress was wonderfully firm.

Not looking forward to our November Crown sailing with the notoriously saggy mattresses...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuzieQ521 said:

We were on the Royal in May (Emerald Deck) and our mattress was wonderfully firm.

Not looking forward to our November Crown sailing with the notoriously saggy mattresses...

My bed on the Crown, August 2023, was fine. I was worried after reading so many complaints on this board. I slept well, no issues.

14 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

My bed on the Crown, August 2023, was fine. I was worried after reading so many complaints on this board. I slept well, no issues.

Thanks hope that is the case for us; I guess it depends which deck/which room...fingers crossed!