Dress Code - Mediterranean Cruise

lagrutke

Have done quite a few cruises over the years, Princess as well as other lines. There are some who dress formally but (as stated above) they are becoming more of a minority.  There are also those who wear shorts or jeans but they too are in the minority. It seems many take the “middle road”  as in dresses or nice pant outfits for females and men in collared shirts and slacks. 
I think another factor may be dressing up to have the pictures taken.

And yes, the Caribbean crowd is very different re: dress. Go and enjoy

yourselves! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Which is what I said in my post #8.

Yes, I get that.  I have not seen near 25% tuxedos in recent years, but in recent years (considering the Covid-19 pause), we have just sailed from Copenhagen.  Whatever - it's just a number and the important thing is that a range of dress is welcome and I have no issue with anything from Smart Casual to Black Tie.

10 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

This is so true.  Princess does not even rent them onboard like they use to!!

That is because the rental company went out of business due to lack of demand.

• Thanks 3

On 7/6/2022 at 8:30 PM, lagrutke said:

I've been searching through the forum and have come across many discussions on the dress code for Princess cruises.   I did see something about how those on European cruises dress a bit more formally than those on other cruises but the post was somewhat vague.  Is this true?  My last cruise was last year to the Caribbean and people dressed from casual to dressy, but not many tuxes or gowns.  We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in September and I'm not sure what to pack.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

People dress how they like these days. As far as a "Dress Code" the "Dress Code" (which doesn't seem to be enforced so I don't know why it should be called that) is exactly the same for every Princess cruise regardless of ship or itinerary.

Seriously, all one has to do is to look at the Princess web site info or, if on a ship, look at the clearly posted "Dress Code" information outside of the dining rooms. I don't understand why there are always questions about this that are singled out by "itinerary" or even by "ship" The (unenforced) "rules" are the same for every cruise. Period.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

That is because the rental company went out of business due to lack of demand.

No, it's because the cost of hiring became more expensive than buying your own !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, it's because the cost of hiring became more expensive than buying your own !

Really?  No, I'm serious and not just hassling you. I've never rented and won't buy because I don't stay the same size. (I keep trying to lose and then, if I do, it comes back fairly soon. I did once have a very large loss and only ever got half of it back. Sadly, I really need that other half!)

Soooo,,,, Back on topic. Did it really get so expensive to rent that it was cheaper to buy? Hmmmm.... I guess I can see this happening if you had to rent a lot. That wouldn't have been a problem for me as it wouldn't' have come up all that often. Still, I'd like your reply if it's not too much of a hasle.

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Really?  No, I'm serious and not just hassling you. I've never rented and won't buy because I don't stay the same size. (I keep trying to lose and then, if I do, it comes back fairly soon. I did once have a very large loss and only ever got half of it back. Sadly, I really need that other half!)

Soooo,,,, Back on topic. Did it really get so expensive to rent that it was cheaper to buy? Hmmmm.... I guess I can see this happening if you had to rent a lot. That wouldn't have been a problem for me as it wouldn't' have come up all that often. Still, I'd like your reply if it's not too much of a hasle.

When I was working I had to attend formal dinners (UK ) two or three times a year, and rented the whole kit and caboodle.  However, doing the maths,  it was apparent that buying would give me a  payback in less than a year. So, I bought the DJ/trousers/dress shirt etc some twentyfive years ago, and they are still going  strong. Fortunately I can still wear them, and the design never goes out of fashion.

A couple of years ago, I bought a white tuxedo for warm weather cruising- cost here in the UK was £40, or $50usd, depending on fx rate.

• Like 1

We've done many European cruises and have never gone over the top on formal nights.  We dress as if we were going to a wedding or similar event.

Me:- knee length dress - nothing expensive or fancy,  black sandals.

Husband:-  Regular suit, shirt & tie,  smart black shoes.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carryoncruising said:

We've done many European cruises and have never gone over the top on formal nights.  We dress as if we were going to a wedding or similar event.

Me:- knee length dress - nothing expensive or fancy,  black sandals.

Husband:-  Regular suit, shirt & tie,  smart black shoes.

Hope that helps.

May not be a tux & gown, but it is still formal and most certainly meets the PCL recommendations.  And they are recommendations and not a "code" per se.

I recommend checking out Youtube for video's specializing on the type of cruise you'll be on. You'll get a pretty good idea how people dress. Wowzz pretty much gave a good description of most Princess cruises. We do find the 10 days & longer have a more dressy crowd overall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I recommend checking out Youtube for video's specializing on the type of cruise you'll be on. You'll get a pretty good idea how people dress. Wowzz pretty much gave a good description of most Princess cruises. We do find the 10 days & longer have a more dressy crowd overall.

Thank you.

I think that as long as people make an effort, it doesn't matter if they are wearing a tuxedo, a suit,  or just a smart shirt.

But, going into dinner, formal night or not,   wearing the same  clothes that you have worn on three excursions,  seems just not only wrong, but downright dirty. A little self respect is all that is needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Thank you.

I think that as long as people make an effort, it doesn't matter if they are wearing a tuxedo, a suit,  or just a smart shirt.

But, going into dinner, formal night or not,   wearing the same  clothes that you have worn on three excursions,  seems just not only wrong, but downright dirty. A little self respect is all that is needed.

We used to do tuxes on Cunard but now doing most cruises on Oceania, with an occasional visit to Princess (when we like the itinerary) We do the Oceania "Country Club" casual bit. A nice shirt long or short sleeve/nice slacks or pressed khakis, usually a higher end boat shoe like Sperry Top sider or Timberland,  perhaps a couple of nice sport coats, for the specialty rest. We really don't see too many slovenly pax. Some, but not many.

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've always had a tuxedo for about the last 35-40 years, but I was appalled at the cost of a rental, and that was made of cheap materials.  And yes, the costs of a rental exceeded what I paid for my last one.

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

Renting is very expensive, especially now that you can’t rent onboard. In my area they run about $150 for a single day. In my opinion, that is the biggest reason you don’t see formal wear. The number of men who own a tuxedo is relatively small. That said, if you wear one even once or twice a year they can be a great purchase. 

No real difference in dress code.  We have done about 12 Mediterranean cruises over a number of years.  Did them on Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity, Crystal and NCL.  Only NCL was very relaxed about dress.  

On 7/7/2022 at 10:50 PM, Lucky TGO said:

I will always be in a tuxedo on formal nights.

Tony

D772566C-F76B-451B-A15D-302F1DE1829B.jpeg

4D10B625-3805-4694-8DF7-7AABBE02C7C9.jpeg

Tony, this is just how you roll my Friend!

I on the other hand I will normally dress like this on formal nights (I'll be having dinner at the buffet)

image.png.d9b8955f68e3512eb61b0120e0519b22.png

10 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Tony, this is just how you roll my Friend!

I on the other hand I will normally dress like this on formal nights (I'll be having dinner at the buffet)

image.png.d9b8955f68e3512eb61b0120e0519b22.png

That’s exactly we’re you should have dinner dress like that. 👍

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:20 AM, wowzz said:

When I was working I had to attend formal dinners (UK ) two or three times a year, and rented the whole kit and caboodle.  However, doing the maths,  it was apparent that buying would give me a  payback in less than a year. So, I bought the DJ/trousers/dress shirt etc some twentyfive years ago, and they are still going  strong. Fortunately I can still wear them, and the design never goes out of fashion.

A couple of years ago, I bought a white tuxedo for warm weather cruising- cost here in the UK was £40, or $50usd, depending on fx rate.

We have a few stores here where you can buy a tux for about $100. K&G Mens Mart is the most popular one here in New England. It's where we bought ours for our Cunard trips(6)Since we normally don't cruise Cunard anymore we just either do suit & tie, or Smart Casual(Oceania for that) The alterarations on the tuxes is where the money is made. Even so a tux was still under $200.

• Like 1