Pre Cruise Testing

Mayflower1

11 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

Just received an E Mail from Regent to say that Pre Cruise Testing will cease on 1st August in most circumstances.

Lets hope that Silversea follow suit.

Actually my hope is just the opposite -- that Silversea will continue to require testing.  It is one of the things that make me somewhat comfortable to cruise under current circumstances.

• Like 3

Unfortunately recent Posts from Guests on board indicating that there are numerous Cases on board would suggest that Pre Cruise Testing is largely meaningless in stopping the spread of Infections especially if the Company Protocols are not being followed by many Guests in the use of Masks etc.

We live in difficult times and I agree that we as individuals must do what we feel comfortable with in any given situation.

• Like 1

We had pre-cruise testing.  On Day 3, the Captain announced 7 cases among passengers and 4 crew.    No matter when one tests (48 hours prior or on day of sailing), people can have contracted COVID and still test negative.  That said, I’d rather have the testing than not. 

Another issue is that there is inconsistent enforcement of masks in the theater and on tour buses.  They hand out masks in the theater; however, after people sit down (and, in many cases start drinking), there are no reminders.  At last night’s show, at best 2/3 were actually wearing their masks.  

We’ve taken 2 tours.  On one, 1/3 weren’t wearing masks on the bus.  No one from SS was aboard and it’s not really the tour guide’s job to enforce a SS rule.  On the second tour, there was close to 100% compliance.  

There also are no “tracelets,” so contact tracing is more of a challenge.  

We have just come off the Silver Spirit, we arrived home on the 1st July, (this time last week)

There were 498 pax on board, we stuck with the masks thing throughout most of the cruise however only about 4 or 5 other people did. 

On the tender most if not all wore masks, on the coach/bus very few did when on an excursion.

Foolishly I let my guard down and did not wear a mask on the final 2 days on the ship, or at the airport or on the plane, that was my downfall, two days after leaving the ship I got Covid which I still have. Each to their own I guess but for me you cannot be too careful. You pays your money you take a chance, for me it didnt pay off, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

Just received an E Mail from Regent to say that Pre Cruise Testing will cease on 1st August in most circumstances.

Lets hope that Silversea follow suit.

My TA told me today about Regent’s not requiring covid tests as from Aug. 1 .  Wish Silversea would do the same although they give the impression it is a port requirement. Also checked with Saga - they test passengers prior to embarkation.  Equally acceptable but I do not like Silversea putting the onus on the passenger with changing time requirements for the test. And if you want to go to an embarkation port a few days early, you need to find somewhere local for the test.

Actually, you can do a monitored self-test.  We did that in our hotel and it was accepted.  It cost us $70 for 2 kits.  Not happy about that, but we didn’t have to find a local testing site. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fudge said:

We have just come off the Silver Spirit, we arrived home on the 1st July, (this time last week)

There were 498 pax on board, we stuck with the masks thing throughout most of the cruise however only about 4 or 5 other people did. 

On the tender most if not all wore masks, on the coach/bus very few did when on an excursion.

Foolishly I let my guard down and did not wear a mask on the final 2 days on the ship, or at the airport or on the plane, that was my downfall, two days after leaving the ship I got Covid which I still have. Each to their own I guess but for me you cannot be too careful. You pays your money you take a chance, for me it didnt pay off, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

So sorry to hear about your getting Covid.  Here's to a fast and successful full recovery.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, saminina said:

Oh no......what will happen to the companies charging 60 to $100 for a ten USD test?

Single antigen self tests (once free for a pack of 7) can be bought in the UK for £2

The mark up is worse than you think.

I'm in 2 minds about testing pre cruise. Clearly if you eliminate positive guests from boarding, there is a better chance to avoid infection. But the truth is, COVID is likely to be on most if not all ships.

The issue of course is when you are unfortunate enough to test positive, disembarking and need to pay for quarantine in a foreign country and pay again at inflated prices your return flights.

Silversea were fantastic when we had these issues in South America, but there is no guarantee it'll always be that way. Ecuador had a quarantine period of 14 days. An eye opener and something to avoid. 

I'm in the "keep the testing" camp. I'd love to see Silversea test both day of embarkation and day 3, just to catch those who caught COVID in transit. If that roots out most cases, that extra prevention is well worth it, IMO. We had 14 days on the Wind with no cases, so I can only conclude the testing must have helped.

And yes, it would be far easier if Silversea continued to offer the tests onsite. Or maybe they could just assign staff to watch us take a self-test we brought from home 🙂 

On the Wind, excursion masking was actually mandated by the countries we visited. Expedition staffers did a very good job enforcing the policy, despite some extremely rude reactions from passengers. There were only 140 passengers on board, so people weren't too vigorous about masking indoors. Social distancing was easy!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fudge said:

I hope you get better soon. 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:12 AM, les37b said:

Single antigen self tests (once free for a pack of 7) can be bought in the UK for £2

The mark up is worse than you think.

I'm in 2 minds about testing pre cruise. Clearly if you eliminate positive guests from boarding, there is a better chance to avoid infection. But the truth is, COVID is likely to be on most if not all ships.

The issue of course is when you are unfortunate enough to test positive, disembarking and need to pay for quarantine in a foreign country and pay again at inflated prices your return flights.

Silversea were fantastic when we had these issues in South America, but there is no guarantee it'll always be that way. Ecuador had a quarantine period of 14 days. An eye opener and something to avoid. 

Gee even in the colonies we can get them cheaper now. At our discount pharmacy a packet of 10 tests cost us $A20 or $2 a test just over half your cost and at current exchange rates about $US1.30.

So we are bringing our own.

43 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Gee even in the colonies we can get them cheaper now. At our discount pharmacy a packet of 10 tests cost us $A20 or $2 a test just over half your cost and at current exchange rates about $US1.30.

I took up the challenge and a glance on Google shows a price of 92p per test was the cheapest I found. Unremarkably it said they couldn't be exported to the US. Not sure if that's to keep prices inflated a general  ban or company policy.

I suspect these "cheap" tests are not allowed for travel purposes.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 7:01 AM, drron29 said:

Are these “monitored” tests or simple self tests?  If not monitored doubt any line will accept

They are not for cruising. It is however so we do not waste on unneccessary testing by doing it ourselves beforehand.

Also after our cruise we are driving around the UK. Will tell us if we have to be even more vigilant with masks. don't want to spread it around.

19 minutes ago, markham said:

What the CDC says about testing has no bearing on what other countries mandate. 

No, but cruise lines that have been going above and beyond what countries mandate because of the CDC may now relax a little.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean and what the point of your response is. What does “relaxing” and the American CDC have to do with e.g. the Italian government maintaining whatever rules it has about the use of their ports?

I was just in Italy where all of us using trains follow rules about 100% masking over nose and mouth. I expect no less structure and vigilance in August in Rome when we join Dawn for a cruise at the port. You can check the Royal Caribbean site by country if you need to know specifics on 48 hour pre-cruise test mandates.

Happy and healthy sailing!

On 7/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, drron29 said:

They are not for cruising. It is however so we do not waste on unneccessary testing by doing it ourselves beforehand.

Also after our cruise we are driving around the UK. Will tell us if we have to be even more vigilant with masks. don't want to spread it around.

makes sense....

7 hours ago, markham said:

Not sure what you mean and what the point of your response is. What does “relaxing” and the American CDC have to do with e.g. the Italian government maintaining whatever rules it has about the use of their ports?

I was just in Italy where all of us using trains follow rules about 100% masking over nose and mouth. I expect no less structure and vigilance in August in Rome when we join Dawn for a cruise at the port. You can check the Royal Caribbean site by country if you need to know specifics on 48 hour pre-cruise test mandates.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Just a thought (which may be not be 100% correct but offer it anyway) - in SOME cases the US CDC has been more strict than other countries and the US has said the lines calling the US must follow CDC guidelines at a min.  If the CDC relaxes their requirement, then the lines have the flexibility to follow other, possibly less restrictive govt policies.  So it is not the CDC "controlling" over govt requirements, just the CDC imposing at min their restrictions.   I would think that is what Jazzbeau was getting at.  Best regards

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, but cruise lines that have been going above and beyond what countries mandate because of the CDC may now relax a little.

And just like that, I was proven right:  Azamara has dropped all pre-cruise testing except in the very few ports that mandate it.

Azamara Ends Testing Requirement.pdf

• Like 1