Evocative foods

shipgeeks

This morning, for the first time in years, I put cottage cheese on my fresh fruit instead of yogurt.  As I took my first bite, completely unbidden, I was transported back about 50 years, to a trip in the Outback of Queensland, Australia.  We had stopped for petrol, and there was no place to eat, but I found a few groceries in the petrol station shop.  I got cottage cheese.  Today the image of that breakfast is as clear as a bell.

Have any of you had that happen upon eating something?  Perhaps a food you had on a cruise, or during your travels?

• Thanks 1

On the QM2 we enjoyed in the Princess Grill each morning or meal a bit of Smoked Salmon from the moving trolley.

Each time I have Smoked Salmon I always remember that trolley and it being rolled to the tableside.

Same feelings with Caviar w accompaniments and toasted points when I see Caviar. Waiters always gave me an extra portion. 

BTW.....Can't stand CC..... the favor..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

BTW.....Can't stand CC..... the favor..

The consistency of the product is a turn off for me.  

Tomato Rice Soup and Lake Superior Whitefish are memory makers for me.  First encounters with these dishes was in the Dining Car of Chicago & North Western Railways Dakota 400 from Chicago to Rochester, Minnesota.  I was a young boy and, for several years, visited Rochester with my Mother.  Not always on the menu, but, these two items often were.  Whenever I have them now, I remember those interesting days.  

• Like 2

English bangers:  Every time I sit down to enjoy an English sausage it takes me back to my first time eating an English banger.  I was 16 years old and onboard the original Queen Elizabeth sitting by myself in the First Class restaurant!

• Like 2

Congee:  My first encounter with this dish was at a hotel's breakfast buffet in Xian.  The buffet had both Eastern and Western dishes.  I had heard about Congee and decided to try a small bowl.  I did not really care for it; maybe an acquired taste?  Maybe I didn't add enough of the condiments to it?  Whenever I see Congee, I remember that morning in Xian.  (Which was memorable for more reasons other than breakfast.)  

Congee:  I think, now, that the reason I enjoy it on a cruise is that it takes me back to my first experience with it.  We had arrived in Kuala Lumpur very late at night. We had a hotel room reserved, but a young Malaysian lady on our flight did not, and our hotel was full.  We offered to let her share our room.  In the morning, she said we should go to the hotel coffee shop and order congee.  We did.  It was nice, but not spectacular.  When I have it now, I realize the rice part is fairly bland, but helped by the toppings.  Still somewhat ordinary, but great for the nostalgia I feel reliving that experience, which was the first day of a 6-week trip in Maylasia, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, and India.

• Like 1

Naan is another food that evokes memories of when I first was served that bread.  First experience was my tour group's first dinner in India.  Our New Delhi hotel served an Indian buffet for our group with many dishes that most of us were unfamiliar.  (There were no Western alternatives.)  I sampled "this and that", but, the only thing that I really liked was Naan.  Whenever I see Naan available, I have some, enjoy, and remember my first night in India.  

• Like 1

For Proust it was nibbling on a Madeline. For me, it's proper muesli with fresh fruit on top. That immediately brings me back to my first student trip to Germany, staying with a family in Nuremburg. The mother made fresh muesli from scratch each night so we could have it for breakfast in the morning. The Oasis-class ships, when I sailed them, had good muesli in the solarium cafe, which I thoroughly enjoyed, including the assortment of fruits and nuts available to add on top.

• Like 2

Jarlsberg Cheese and Gjetost Cheese remind me of my first visit to Norway.  Jarlsberg, I liked it and still do.  Maybe what I saw of Gjetost was different than usual, but, it's caramel color and what appeared to be a significant rind was a turn-off for me.  Just could not bring myself to try it.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

This morning, for the first time in years, I put cottage cheese on my fresh fruit instead of yogurt.  As I took my first bite, completely unbidden, I was transported back about 50 years, to a trip in the Outback of Queensland, Australia.  We had stopped for petrol, and there was no place to eat, but I found a few groceries in the petrol station shop.  I got cottage cheese.  Today the image of that breakfast is as clear as a bell.

Have any of you had that happen upon eating something?  Perhaps a food you had on a cruise, or during your travels?

Interesting that you posted about cottage cheese.When I was 8 years old my parents and I were on a boat going to Rye Beach ,Playland.I was eating a cottage cheese sandwich and dropped it on the lap of a girl who was wearing what I found out later was her best dress.That was the last time that I ate cottage cheese out of my house.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Interesting that you posted about cottage cheese.When I was 8 years old my parents and I were on a boat going to Rye Beach ,Playland.I was eating a cottage cheese sandwich and dropped it on the lap of a girl who was wearing what I found out later was her best dress.That was the last time that I ate cottage cheese out of my house.

I don't like the graininess of CC. I did try it back once in awhile but No Taker On My Part. I know there is a creamy which makes me SICK!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

Bitterballen that is served--once in awhile anymore--on a HAL ship.  Usually at HH as one of the hors d'oeuvres.  I believe that are available daily at the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle Class ships.  Never have had anything like these delicacies.  For me, it is an evocative food.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Bitterballen that is served--once in awhile anymore--on a HAL ship.  Usually at HH as one of the hors d'oeuvres.  I believe that are available daily at the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle Class ships.  Never have had anything like these delicacies.  For me, it is an evocative food.  

What is it?  Or should I say: What is it like?

36 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

What is it?  Or should I say: What is it like?

I suggest that you Google for a recipe.  It is a round Dutch croquette that is usually served with a Mustard for dipping the round balls.  (It does not taste "like chicken"!  😁)