Are there rowing machines in the gym on the Celebrity Eclipse?

vermonter16

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Should I bring some oil myself, lol.   Something is better than nothing....maybe.

My wife, who is a competitive indoor rower, actually brought a small plastic bottle of oil on one of our cruises, after being so disgusted with the sorry state of the equipment on prior cruises.  The bottle was well closed and wrapped and fortunately did not leak.  But I've since persuaded her that the consequences of a possible leak of chain oil in our checked luggage outweigh the plusses of a properly oiled chain on a cruise ship rowing machine.  🤣

On the occasions when she's spoken with the fitness center staff regarding the lack of maintenance of the rowers, it's been clear that they are clueless about what to do with them and how they operate.   She's even had to show them what has to be done when the monitor is not working  -- change the batteries! 

On one ship (can't recall which), a Concept 2 rower had been bolted to the floor perpendicular to the wall behind it but so close to the wall that your back hit it as you approached the end of your stroke. 🙄

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing to hear.  Well, I will forgo bringing my own chain oil (though I oiled my chain today and thought about it again) lol.  I hope there is a battery in the display.  I will check it all out when I get on board and will report back for any other rowers out there.

Yes, Eclipse does have rowing machines. Used them on it and other Celebrity ships. Been on all, except Beyond, and they all had them when I was aboard.

Ive never had any issues with them, but not an expert by any means. I was a coxswain in college - yeah I was that skinny! - and learned to row and always enjoy it. 

The only negative was the 6+ft rowers would see me eating and try to take my food, saying they didnt want me gaining wt!! I told them I had to have strength to Yell at them!!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

Ships use to have them but replace them a long time ago with engines. Lately with the craze of trying the go green the ships may go back to using oars.  🤗

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update.... Eclipse has 2 of them.  They are in poor condition.... seats are loppy and the chains haven't been oiled since they apparently got them.  The rails were black.... cleaned them up the best I could.   One of them has a terrible bumpy pull....  But, they are concept 2s so they still work lol.