Maxi dresses and maxi skirts?

EllaBee

Hello, everyone. After three years of no cruising, I am starting my packing list for an August cruise . I have read a number of fashion articles that indicate “maxi dresses and maxi skirts are really in this year”. Has anyone been on a cruise lately where ladies were wearing maxi dresses? Mine are black and I love them but have not worn them for years because I was a little afraid of looking old fashioned. Any and all comments are most welcome!

EllaBee

I don't know about cruises, since we haven't been on one since the before times, but I'm seeing them everywhere else...concerts, outdoor/garden weddings, even just walking around outdoor malls.  So it seems like they actually are having a moment right now.  

• Like 1

I pay no attention to fashion, but I think the long dresses look graceful and elegant. Can't think of a better 'look' on a cruise.  Black would be fine for evening ... during the day perhaps other colors would be more appropriate. 

• Like 3

Most of the dresses I bring on cruises or other travel are long maxi dresses! I love them. The favorites in my closet are flowy and so comfortable and cool. Can be dressed up or down with accessories. I love a good maxi!! 

• Like 2

I have a ton of more structured/formal cocktail dresses and evening dresses. Some I have never worn! I am slowly purging them. It's hard because they are really beautiful, but I have to be honest that I don't know when I'd ever wear any of them again. My use for them would be on a cruise or other trip. But because these dresses are usually a thicker material, structured, etc., they do not pack as easily as a maxi dress and end up staying home in my closet.  

True formal dresses are just not the workhorses of a maxi dress which can be worn during the day and in more casual situations. Add a pretty scarf/wrap, an elegant headband, fascinator or jewelry, and it will elevate the casual maxi dress to a more formal look! 

Edited by Janie1229
  • Like 1

I tour and cruise in midis. Maxis are a tripping nightmare for me.  All of my friends and family in the under 40 category wear maxis everywhere. In Europe skirts and dresses are common as casual wear.  The trick is to find them with a pocket. 

I tend to wear shorter dresses or pants on formal night.  As to a black formal night skirt, the blouse and the accessories make the outfit not the skirt. 

truth is most people aren’t that concerned about what others are wearing if it is in the bounds of the dictates of the cruise line.  And those that do, I don’t want to be friends with them anyway 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 5:34 AM, Janie1229 said:

I have a ton of more structured/formal cocktail dresses and evening dresses. Some I have never worn! I am slowly purging them. It's hard because they are really beautiful, but I have to be honest that I don't know when I'd ever wear any of them again. My use for them would be on a cruise or other trip. But because these dresses are usually a thicker material, structured, etc., they do not pack as easily as a maxi dress and end up staying home in my closet.  

True formal dresses are just not the workhorses of a maxi dress which can be worn during the day and in more casual situations. Add a pretty scarf/wrap, an elegant headband, fascinator or jewelry, and it will elevate the casual maxi dress to a more formal look! 

Yeah, some 5-6 years ago I lost a bunch of weight, and I cleared out my closet of things I just wasn't wearing.  I love my small walk-in closet being comfortably full /not overstuffed, and I am now very conscious about what I allow in.  A lot of nice evening dresses just didn't make the cut.  

You're right that maxis are not "formal" at all, but they are absolutely appropriate for today's more casual cruises.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I tend to wear shorter dresses or pants on formal night.  As to a black formal night skirt, the blouse and the accessories make the outfit not the skirt. 

Yeah, being 4'11", I lean towards short dresses too -- and, if my husband can be trusted, I have great legs.  I have to hem maxis.  

I refuse to wear anything black on formal night -- literally none of my "real" formals are black (and I don't wear much black in my daytime wear).  It's just such a dull color, and at any formal event 95% of the women are wearing black.  

As I pack my black silk pants and velvet slippers with six 'looks' of scarves, jewelry and shawls in one tiny container, I hark back to the days when I thought anyone cared.  All I care about is that looking presentable enough to generate a compliment from my husband and acceptable enough at the door so the maitre d' doesn't make a face.  I might consider replacing my silk pants with a maxi skirt, that might be a fun change of pace when we travel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jhsocal said:

Recent catalog from Lands End featured many maxi skirts and dresses , either sleeveless or very short sleeves.Are you seeing a lot of theses in your home area?

Have never shopped Lands End but I did order one of their maxi dresses -- hope it works.  Thanks for the tip.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I refuse to wear anything black on formal night -- literally none of my "real" formals are black (and I don't wear much black in my daytime wear).  It's just such a dull color, and at any formal event 95% of the women are wearing black.  

I agree about black, although a good number of my formal night dresses are black, only because they had all the other attributes I like (fit, style, length, etc.)  One of my shopping goals is finding more colorful dresses for those occasions.  I am in the process of replacing the zipper on a cocktail dress I bought a number of months ago.  It is a black, vibrant green and purple print (looks better than that sounds!)  

I do intend to keep wearing cocktail dresses, and the occasional long jersey gown (being careful not to trip on it), as long as I cruise.

22 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Have never shopped Lands End but I did order one of their maxi dresses -- hope it works.  Thanks for the tip.

Lands End dresss are fantastic.  I must have 10+ of their "Fit and Flare" dresses in my closet -- they come in so many colors, and they're a great basic to dress up or down.  I just retired from teaching, and they paired perfectly with a cardigan for the classroom.  I wore them with little Keds sneakers or sandals.

All of mine are short -- no maxis -- but I think they're the same, just longer.  

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I am in the process of replacing the zipper on a cocktail dress I bought a number of months ago.  It is a black, vibrant green and purple print (looks better than that sounds!)  

No offense, but it'd have to be!  You're not exactly selling it with that description!  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, jsn55 said:

As I pack my black silk pants and velvet slippers with six 'looks' of scarves, jewelry and shawls in one tiny container, I hark back to the days when I thought anyone cared.  All I care about is that looking presentable enough to generate a compliment from my husband and acceptable enough at the door so the maitre d' doesn't make a face.  I might consider replacing my silk pants with a maxi skirt, that might be a fun change of pace when we travel. 

I don't care as much these days what people think, but I still love to dress up for myself! and my husband 🙂

It is amazing what a beautiful scarf/wrap and jewelry can do to a more casual maxi dress!!

• Like 3

Another couple of places to look for pretty midi-to-maxi length dresses are Soft Surroundings and Chicos. I have a couple of dresses from Chicos that are from their "travel" collection and do not wrinkle and made of  lightweight fabric. 

In my opinion not all maxi dresses are created equal in terms of being able to "elevate" them to a dressier look. Maybe it's the quality of the dress, and/or the material and style. I have some maxi dresses that are best kept for daytime casual wear, but others that really look beautiful and dressy with some accessories. 

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

No offense, but it'd have to be!  You're not exactly selling it with that description!  

LOL, I thought the same thing as I wrote it. But truly, it is not campy-Elvira looking.  I wish I could do a picture. Its main beauty is in the complex stitching and fit, with "ribbons" of the fabric sewn on in many flattering directions.

The only downside is that now I have to wear black shoes with it!  When I wear a black dress, I love wearing nice shoes of other colors - grey and silver, or red, mostly.

OK - the Lands End maxi dress is being exchanged for a smaller size (M instead of L) ---- too long & VERY heavy....looked at the fabric description on the site & thought it would work but it's Tencel....still going to try it.  Also the size chart is a little deceiving....I'm hoping I'm a larger M instead of the real L.

16 hours ago, 57redbird said:

OK - the Lands End maxi dress is being exchanged for a smaller size (M instead of L) ---- too long & VERY heavy....looked at the fabric description on the site & thought it would work but it's Tencel....still going to try it.  Also the size chart is a little deceiving....I'm hoping I'm a larger M instead of the real L.

Lands End runs huge!

On 7/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, awhfy said:

Lands End runs huge!

I found that out with a pair of shorts I ordered online. I am keeping them because they are good enough to wear around the house but a smaller size would have been better fitting.

Laura