Was I Reassured? A Review

babs135

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I have always thought that a venue requiring formal dress should NOT be a passenger transit area

Not aware of any venues that 'require' formal dress that are passenger transit areas.

The central atrium certainly isn't a 'required' area even when the Captain's party is on, although those in formal dress certainly seem to believe all the public areas are 'formal required' on formal nights.

The required areas are only a MDR or two and a bar or two, but the vast majority of the public space on formal nights are 'whatever'.

Edited by picsa

On 7/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, molecrochip said:

Final comment relates to Entertainment Managers (cruise directors). You'll note you see and hear from them a lot less nowadays. This has come down, not from Southampton, but Miami as I understand it. Their role has been made a lot more functional using standardised scripts. This has lead to a number of 'favourites' leaving the company. This has impacted P&O and Princess.

That is a great shame. On the smaller ships particularly, the Cruise Director can make a difference. To mention just two, Neil Oliver was always very personable, visible & sociable and Christine Noble very visible and the consummate professional.

• Like 6

My friend was on Iona the week after - she told me the Captain’s name but I’d never heard of him before. His picture was in the horizon newspaper. She said she didn’t warm to him.

On other P&O ships I’ve had Captains Camby and Brown announce things like pool of dolphins etc. Even announced when we passed one of the Cunard ships which pleased me because hubby didn’t believe me it was a Cunard one 😀

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My friend was on Iona the week after - she told me the Captain’s name but I’d never heard of him before. His picture was in the horizon newspaper. She said she didn’t warn to him.

On other P&O ships I’ve had Captains Camby and Brown announce things like pool of dolphins etc. Even announced when we passed one of the Cunard ships which pleased me because hubby didn’t believe me it was a Cunard one 😀

My great grandfather sent messages home that his captain was excellent. Talked to passengers individually, and kept them up to date with observations at sea.

It's just a pity that Captain Smith didn't see the bloody iceberg leading to the demise of my great grandfather, and many other poor souls.

Whoever the Captain is on my ship, I would just like him to steer thank you very much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fandomlife said:

This leaves me in a dilemma. I like the idea of a Canary Island cruise but that might change my success criteria which would make these factors matter more and THAT is disappointing. 

I'm slightly confused (no sniggering at the back!)

Does that mean you want to cruise to the Canaries,  but are now not sure, or do you want to cruise there with P&O,  or do you want to cruise there but not with P&O ?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Britboys said:

That is a great shame. On the smaller ships particularly, the Cruise Director can make a difference. To mention just two, Neil Oliver was always very personable, visible & sociable and Christine Noble very visible and the consummate professional.

Christine Noble - yes, marvellous CD.  Never did all that awful stuff "are we all having a lovely time"

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm slightly confused (no sniggering at the back!)

Does that mean you want to cruise to the Canaries,  but are now not sure, or do you want to cruise there with P&O,  or do you want to cruise there but not with P&O ?

This is a P&O Forum so I am specifically talking about P&O. Though I guess the issue of not having to take a flight currently is useful.

The destination isn't that big a deal, beyond the fact it'd be warm in winter.

The challenge is, it's a longer cruise so the things like entertainment and food which I found largely uninteresting (or laughable in the case of the buffet) might become more of an issue while they weren't part of my success criteria for Norway as much.

I understand all cruise lines are playing with us a big post-pandemic though videos suggest not all of them to the same degree or in the same ways.

Edited by Fandomlife

11 minutes ago, Fandomlife said:

To be honest, a winter cruise to the Canaries might give you 5 or 6 warm days, but the first 3 days and last 3 days will be at the very best,  chilly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, a winter cruise to the Canaries might give you 5 or 6 warm days, but the first 3 days and last 3 days will be at the very best,  chilly. 

Yeah, for sure. Still keeping an eye out for other options. I go solo so that means I have to be careful with pricing (and even the much vaunted NCL seems to have given up on great solo pricing) and I am very sensitive to the environment of the ship, etc. I couldn't care less about cruise directors or getting chummy with the Captain it's more the right environments.

Then it's keeping an eye out for where they have cut things back post-pandemic, which are in different places for each cruise line I suspect and to different degrees.

We shall see, I'm not a serial cruiser so I can keep an eye on things. If something comes off, great, if not fair enough 🙂

Edited by Fandomlife

1 hour ago, Fandomlife said:

This is a P&O Forum so I am specifically talking about P&O. Though I guess the issue of not having to take a flight currently is useful.

The challenge is, it's a longer cruise so the things like entertainment and food which I found largely uninteresting (or laughable in the case of the buffet) might become more of an issue while they weren't part of my success criteria for Norway as much.

I understand all cruise lines are playing with us a big post-pandemic though videos suggest not all of them to the same degree or in the same ways.

One thing to remember is that the Executive Chef does change every 6 months or so, which might at least make for a change in the way the menus are prepared, and of course you can always discuss your concerns about the standards in the buffet with one of the head waiters.

3 hours ago, Fandomlife said:

Maybe, I was lucky as Norwegian didn't. There was as a couple of fruit juices and a type of, sort of lemonade, all day from the buffet. 

Albeit that it was pre-pandemic. Not that it mattered as the drinks package made more sense in that cruise. 

In will say as a P&O positive the soft drinks aren't too crazily priced. 

Free fruit juice in the buffet restaurant all day is much more common on the American lines - and Iced Tea too.

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Free fruit juice in the buffet restaurant all day is much more common on the American lines - and Iced Tea too.

Not on Princess, although they do offer Lemonade.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, molecrochip said:

Final comment relates to Entertainment Managers (cruise directors). You'll note you see and hear from them a lot less nowadays. This has come down, not from Southampton, but Miami as I understand it. Their role has been made a lot more functional using standardised scripts. This has lead to a number of 'favourites' leaving the company. This has impacted P&O and Princess.   

Not the case with the CD on Enchanted Princess this last 2 weeks, I got sick of the sight of him 😊

Disregarding the food, the entertainment, the politeness of the staff, etc....did you feel safe that the crew were ready, willing, able and most importantly trained to deal with any major emergencies or safety issues that could arise?  (God forbid.)  We are thinking of booking the 2023 World Cruise with P & O but have noticed comments regarding the crew being eager to please but still not fully trained.  Have to say it is a bit concerning to us!

We have never sailed P & O before, so taking a World Voyage is a huge step on an unknown product to begin with...just want to make sure all of our concerns are as addressed as they can be.

Edited by stoogesmom

2 hours ago, stoogesmom said:

Disregarding the food, the entertainment, the politeness of the staff, etc....did you feel safe that the crew were ready, willing, able and most importantly trained to deal with any major emergencies or safety issues that could arise?  (God forbid.)  We are thinking of booking the 2023 World Cruise with P & O but have noticed comments regarding the crew being eager to please but still not fully trained.  Have to say it is a bit concerning to us!

We have never sailed P & O before, so taking a World Voyage is a huge step on an unknown product to begin with...just want to make sure all of our concerns are as addressed as they can be.

Given you have never sailed with P&O before, if I was in your shoes I would want to do a short-ish cruise on the same ship or at least with P&O first before commiting to a world cruise. By short, I mean 7 days to avoid any “booze cruise” type vibes that occasionally occur on shorter cruises. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Given you have never sailed with P&O before, if I was in your shoes I would want to do a short-ish cruise on the same ship or at least with P&O first before commiting to a world cruise. By short, I mean 7 days to avoid any “booze cruise” type vibes that occasionally occur on shorter cruises. 

Absolutely spot on. Arcadia is a smallish ship (not a bad thing) but to go on a 100+ day cruise on an strange ship on an strange cruise line, is either extremely  brave or extremely fool hardy.

2 hours ago, stoogesmom said:

Cunard, which we have been on several times before.

The price and itinerary looked very appealing on  P & O though!

Probably too late now, but perhaps you should try a short cruise on Arcadia,  in case you fancy another Worldie in the future. 

If you like Cunard,  I think you would like Arcadia, albeit Arcadia is, by all accounts, less stuffy than Cunard!  

I think you would be wise to go with Cunard.  I have sailed a half world cruise with P&O and around 25 other cruises with them.  Six cruises with Cunard and food selection and quality much better.  This could make a significant difference on a world cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:51 PM, Billish said:

to go on a 100+ day cruise on an strange ship on an strange cruise line, is either extremely  brave or extremely fool hardy.

Pre-pandemic we did a couple of segments on the Queen Elizabeth World cruise and met a couple who were cruising for the very first time and doing the whole trip.  I remember asking them what would they do if they hated it? They shrugged their shoulders and said they'd cope!! I often wonder how they got on.