2nd Cabin Additional Charge

Maybe it's just me and I'm dense or having a bad day, but why when I try to book a 2nd cabin RC is trying to charge me several hundred dollars for me to pick the location or they will pick one for me for a lower price.  Obviously, everyone wants their cabins together.  Why is this when I can pick where my 1st cabin is, why wouldn't people just start a new booking and pick the location of the 2nd cabin without this fee?  Or am I just doing something wrong?  Thanks 

10 minutes ago, sjinnj said:

Or am I just doing something wrong? 

Probably - sounds like you are mixing up booking types between GTY and non-GTY. A bit more detail on what you are trying to do may elicit more feedback.

Edited by Biker19

Are the rooms identical types with the same amount of people? It has nothing to do with booking one room and adding a second. It sounds like the first room that you booked didn't have an Guarantees available, but it was an option for the second room.

I don't look at it as them charging a fee to pick my room. I look at it as a discount if I choose not to pick my own room.

So, I am trying to book two cabins across the hall from one another.  One an interior and the 2nd an ocean view.  So, 3 people (2 adults 1 child) in 1st interior cabin, starts out at 731 pp and then magically increases to 977 pp.  Then choose 2nd cabin (1 adult and 1 child) goes from 831 they pick where cabin is or 1204, I pick.  Why the almost 400 increase?

Those GTY rates are seen as a discount. At least that’s what we have come to accept. And they typically aren’t offered until inventory goes down. 

You are trading control for a discount. Not everyone is willing.  

I am used to Disney pricing. Opening day is the lowest price you can get and pick your room.  After a predetermined number of cabins in a category are booked, they raise the price. Loyal cruisers get early booking (but get no % off like C&A).  If the cabins are not selling well, they will offer a GTY rate. But it is book now, pay now, and no change or cancellation.  I am pretty sure Royal also raises prices as it fills the ship, also, and then offers those deeply discounted GTY rates to get to a full boat.  (They also seem to drop rates and allow re-booking.)

As for needing two cabins in close proximity - you are not the intended consumer for GTY rates. It is for cruisers who are willing to be put anywhere on a ship.  

It is perception - what you see as being charged more, they offer as a savings opportunity. Or else, I have drunk too much of the cruise industry’s koolaid.

Edited by alohayall

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Because that's how much RCI guesses folks are willing to pay for the certainty of location.

The thing is I can just start another booking and get a cabin right next to the first no problems and save $800.  

I have seen this situation before too. It happened when I said I wanted two cabins. After picking the first cabin, the second (identical category and occupancy) went up in price. I have no idea why. 

I did as the OP says, two cabins booked separately, and got them both at the same (cheaper) rate. 

I wonder how many people don't notice?

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I have seen this situation before too. It happened when I said I wanted two cabins. After picking the first cabin, the second (identical category and occupancy) went up in price. I have no idea why. 

I did as the OP says, two cabins booked separately, and got them both at the same (cheaper) rate. 

I wonder how many people don't notice?

Some cabins that accommodate three or more guests cost more for the cabin.