Magnification of binoculars in suites?

We find these very heavy and difficult to use.  Don't think the magnification is wonderful, but don't know exactly what it is.  We always bring our own.  Well worth using the extra space in the suitcase!

• Like 2

They are not very good.  On Oosterdam last month the binoculars were missing one eye cap and they had fixed focus.  If you are boarding in Rotterdam or Amsterdam then I would bring them.  

• Like 2

Just got off the Koningsdam last week. Our in-room binoculars were out of alignment and didn't work at all. Our kind steward brought two other pairs - the first pair also were broken but the second were a solid pair of compact Bushnell's and were quite nice, actually. That being said, I agree with everyone here thus far, if you have your own bring them instead!

Edited by BroncoBobblehead
  • Like 2

In pre-covid cruises, the Pinnacle Suites had two pair of binoculars.  One was really big and fit on the tripod provided.  We thought these binoculars were not very good (although we used the tripod for mounting our SLR camera on).

However, the smaller binoculars were truly outstanding...the best I have ever used.  After our first cruise with them, we went out and bought a pair for ourselves.  They are Bushnell 10x42 Legend L-Series.  They are waterproof and are filled with nitrogen for anti-fogging.  They are very forgiving in eye placement (you don't have to have your eyes in exactly the right spot to see clearly).  The only downside is they are not exactly compact and lightweight; still I have no problems wearing them around my neck for 6 hours when I am at a NASCAR race.  I would highly recommend these, and the neat thing is we discovered them on a HAL cruise.

Hopefully, the same ones will be available on our cruise next month.  I prefer not to have to pack them in our suitcases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, highscar said:

038B2976-9371-42D2-8D85-DF50077CD9A5.jpeg

Those look like a set passed down in my family! Even the case matches. Haven't thought of them in years, as I have some from my husband's family. 

My mother's father was in a Canadian regiment in the Boer War, and he got them from that outfitting. I think they passed to my brother when my mother died. I had the rifle, and my sister (for her husband) got the guns. 

Thanks for the memory.