Parental Consent letter - is it required?

madcat207

So, it's been a whirlwind, as my Girlfriend and I decided to splurge on a cruise, somewhat last minute.  We had to rush and get my daughter's vaccine in order (thankfully had time there), and though her passport won't arrive on time,  being closed loop we should be fine with her birth certificate (I do have my passport). 

But in talking to a friend about the upcoming cruise, they asked if we had a notarized letter from mom giving her permission,  and I was taken back... guess I missed another thing? 

Mom is in the loop, and is excited for her to go. But she lives across the country from us, so it is more work to coordinate things like this (she also works nights, so mundane things for most can be a bigger chore for her). 

Realistically, I like to plan for worst case that can normally happen (I know there is risk already without her passport), so I wanted to find out how common it is to NEED a letter, and what happens without it? I am traveling with her (no flight, we live in FL and departing Canaveral), and our last names match (and she is 9 and plenty articulate.. hah), but I would hate to lose our cruise if we didn't get it on time..

(And man, so much effort to spend 5 days on a boat... sheesh!)

• Like 1

A letter for permission to cruise is generally required when a non custodial non parent brings along a minor.  Since the OP is parent to the daughter, and last names match, shouldn't be an issue.  Worst case, a letter supporting the OP as medical proxy might come in handy for an accident, illness, etc.

When I travelled with a minor nephew with a different last name, the only issue I had was at USCustoms exiting the ship.  I had to show a letter from my nephew's Mom to avoid any inference to trafficikng a minor.

• Like 1

Carnival doesn't require it but "strongly recommends" it.    Straight from the Carnival FAQ's:

Traveling with Minors

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it NEEDED? I don't know

However, let's look at why it is a good idea and in fact in some instances is required. Real quick story. A few years back my daughter came out to Seattle for a visit. I thought a quick trip to Canada would be a perfect get away. Was denied entry into Canada because I did not have a letter from mom.

So why would it be a requirement. Trafficking of children. Too many children are trafficked and too many children are kidnapped by a non-custodial parent and taken out of the country.

Where this is not the situation in your case, just 1 person questioning the motive could bring your daughter/daddy time to a screeching halt.

Get the letter please.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

However, let's look at why it is a good idea and in fact in some instances is required. Real quick story. A few years back my daughter came out to Seattle for a visit. I thought a quick trip to Canada would be a perfect get away. Was denied entry into Canada because I did not have a letter from mom.

So why would it be a requirement. Trafficking of children. Too many children are trafficked and too many children are kidnapped by a non-custodial parent and taken out of the country.

Where this is not the situation in your case, just 1 person questioning the motive could bring your daughter/daddy time to a screeching halt.

Get the letter please.

I get what you are saying, but would we expect the same problem on a closed loop trip? 

I am asking her to get it (we surprised my daughter with the trip, and mom knew ahead of time), so it's not really consenting.. just getting it squared before the 1st. 

Anyway. Appreciate all the insight.  This experience has been an eye opener (already mentally juggling how we will get the covid tests, etc); it would be nice for things like this to not be buried in the FAQ (though i guess since it's not "required", no mention...)

4 minutes ago, madcat207 said:

it would be nice for things like this to not be buried in the FAQ (though i guess since it's not "required", no mention...)

It's not really "buried in the FAQ's" though.   Took me all of ten seconds to find it.   😉

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It's not really "buried in the FAQ's" though.   Took me all of ten seconds to find it.   😉

Enjoy your cruise.

True enough, I found it as well.. but only after being made aware of its existence.  Sure, still probably an oversight on my end, but hard to look for things I don't know about. 😕

(Despite having had custody since she was 3, this is the first trip like this, so there is alot of learning the hard way)

We have taken one on every cruise or flight that we have taken outside of the country.  I have never been asked for it once, but the one time we decide not to get one, that will be the time that they ask for it.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  They are a pain to deal with it, but to know you have it if you need it will be a relief to you.

• Like 1

I have always taken a letter of permission from the parents and a notarized power of attorney.  The power of attorney is important so you can make medical decisions if necessary.  On the 3 different cruises we were never once asked for the letter of permission.  However, it is nice to have just in case.

• Like 2

Take a letter.  I have never taken a letter when I cruised with my 5 children alone, only because I didn't realize it was suggested.  No one has ever asked to see it but it is an easy enough thing to do just to be safe rather then sorry.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Get the letter please.

Drove to th US with a friend and his son with no issues but coming back they hassled him about not having a letter.  We were like whats the issue here we are bringing him back arent we? lol  Customs guys dont laugh apparently. who knew? 🙂 

• Like 2

Went to Grand Cayman with the family when our kids we’re toddlers. For the flight back we were bumped and only 2 of us could fly. I sent my wife and daughter on and my 3 year old son and I stayed another night and flew back the next day. When we arrived at customs, I was questioned as to the whereabouts of “this child’s mother?”.  I explained the situation, but we were still pulled out of line and further questioned. Took 20 mins or so. Everyone was very professional, but also intense and seemed honestly concerned.

Take the letter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madcat207 said:

So, it's been a whirlwind, as my Girlfriend and I decided to splurge on a cruise, somewhat last minute.  We had to rush and get my daughter's vaccine in order (thankfully had time there), and though her passport won't arrive on time,  being closed loop we should be fine with her birth certificate (I do have my passport). 

But in talking to a friend about the upcoming cruise, they asked if we had a notarized letter from mom giving her permission,  and I was taken back... guess I missed another thing? 

Mom is in the loop, and is excited for her to go. But she lives across the country from us, so it is more work to coordinate things like this (she also works nights, so mundane things for most can be a bigger chore for her). 

Realistically, I like to plan for worst case that can normally happen (I know there is risk already without her passport), so I wanted to find out how common it is to NEED a letter, and what happens without it? I am traveling with her (no flight, we live in FL and departing Canaveral), and our last names match (and she is 9 and plenty articulate.. hah), but I would hate to lose our cruise if we didn't get it on time..

(And man, so much effort to spend 5 days on a boat... sheesh!)

My kids and I cruised on Carnival in Nov. of 2019- they were both minors who do not share my last name, but have their fathers with whom I am divorced from. No one asked for proof that I was a parent, nor a letter from their father stating that I "had permission" to take them on vacation.

I doubt you will have any problems especially if the child shares your last name but me, I am a little OCD and would get the letter. It does not have to be notarized but that would be go. You could have the other parent prepare the letter and scan it to you. 

We have traveled with our granddaughters, and always brought a signed (and unnecessarily notarized) letter just in case----especially since it gives permission to see a doctor if needed. I will send a copy below if you'd like to email it and have it signed. However in both cases, we were never asked to show any proof while boarding, at any port, etc. It is a nice to have, but unneeded item. Enjoy your cruise.

permission.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Thanks 1

On our last cruise on Radiance we had a minor (16 years old)  friend accompanying our teen. I have no idea what verbiage you should use but I wrote up a letter myself. I have no legal training and no idea whether this was good enough or not.

I, Xxxxx, am the parent and legal guardian of Yyyyy, birth date MM/DD/YY. Yyyyy has my consent to travel from May 28, 2022 to June 7, 2022 with Kmom, Mr. Kmom, and Kmom, Jr. During this time the family will be traveling in the Los Angeles, CA area, and on the Carnival Radiance cruise ship departing Long Beach, CA on May 30, 2022 with stops at Santa Catalina Island, CA, and Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, returning to Long Beach on June 3, 2022.

I delegate temporary guardianship of Yyyyy to Kmom during the above specified date range. Kmom has my consent to make decisions for Yyyyy's wellbeing in case of emergency or unforeseen circumstances including evacuation of the cruise ship and return to the United States from International Waters or Mexico. 

I had the parent sign, date, and add their cell phone number.  I did not have it notarized, and we were never asked for it anywhere, but I figured these kinds of things are mostly to aid in the unlikely case of TSHTF, and in that case I figured the more detail the better.  Yyyyy was traveling on a birth certificate while we all have passports - my biggest concern was having to travel back into the US without the ship and run into trouble at the border.

Would be interesting to hear what Ferry_Watcher has to say about this subject since they actually work the check-in lines albeit at the Seattle terminal.

Anybody know how to tag a board member to catch their attention?

So, my wife went on a vacation with her father and sister as it likely was the last chance for them, I decided to book a 4 day cruise on the Liberty for myself and two daughters. We traveled a couple of weeks ago. I did think about getting a notarized approval from my wife but life got in the way and we never got round to it. Truth is I forgot about and it never came up at check in, was no issue and didn't think about it again. 

If I do it again, I would. I would rather be safe than not. It only takes one doing their job properly....

• Like 1

I just took 4 bonus kids on the Mardi Gras.   I found a letter on here and had the parents complete and notarize it.   I am so glad we did.   They were hard core when we checked in.   The lady checking us in was a bit intense.  She took the letters to someone I assume their manager, she checked all our documents about 100x's.  I still don't know if we "needed" them but I sure am glad I had them.  

• Like 1

Over the last 20+ years of sailing and taking kids along we have always made sure we had the letter from my husbands ex-wife for my step son.  In all the cruises we took over that time we were asked - once, just once.  But if we hadn't had it wouldn't have been able to sail.  All our last names were the same, but he happened to say something while standing at the counter about "calling his mom" before we boarded and bingo!

I would guess we "needed" it once out of ten or more cruises with our grands.  One has our same surname, the younger two don't.  We and the younger grands were questioned a couple of times coming back to the States (those are the times you hope they aren't in a "playful" mood, i.e., I have never seen these people before), and was once asked for the letter.  So if you want to save yourself some worry and hassle, just get the letter.  This is especially true if the child would have medical or dental emergency.  However, if you have sole custody, just bring the order.  That works as well.  

3 hours ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I just took 4 bonus kids on the Mardi Gras.   I found a letter on here and had the parents complete and notarize it.   I am so glad we did.   They were hard core when we checked in.   The lady checking us in was a bit intense.  She took the letters to someone I assume their manager, she checked all our documents about 100x's.  I still don't know if we "needed" them but I sure am glad I had them.  

Wow. That makes me feel better about having mine though it was never requested.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, kdr69 said:

Drove to th US with a friend and his son with no issues but coming back they hassled him about not having a letter.  We were like whats the issue here we are bringing him back arent we? lol  Customs guys dont laugh apparently. who knew? 🙂 

No, they don’t laugh at all. But if you think about the situation from his point of view…he doesn’t know who the child is or to whom he belongs. It does raise an interesting question. Who carries around one’s childrens’ birth certificates? How does a parent prove that the child is his/her’s?  I used to cross the border frequently with my kids….back in the early 80’s, and nothing was even mentioned.  Times have changed. Border guards did laugh back then if I recall..🤣