Lost Luggage - Blue Ribbon Bags

16 hours ago, islandhalls said:

Interesting article today in the WSJ, for $5.00 this company will track down your lost luggage or pay you $1,000. 

I am not sure this company actually "does" anything to track down your misplaced bag.

In effect this is just an insurance policy, with plenty of caveats, and the company assesses the risk of a bag being misplaced for longer than 4 days is well below 1 in 200.

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I am in Europe now

i have AirTags in all my bags

i can track it myself

strongly recommend air tags to all

Just ordered a 4-pack from Amazon.  I hear good things (and a few minor quirks, too) - looking forward to giving them a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Just ordered a 4-pack from Amazon.  I hear good things (and a few minor quirks, too) - looking forward to giving them a go.

It’s magic. You will not regret it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bitob said:

I am in Europe now

i have AirTags in all my bags

i can track it myself

Do they only work with Apple or is there an Android version?

3 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Do they only work with Apple or is there an Android version?

Really only with Apple, which is a bummer.  You can get an App for Android that will read an airtag that you find, but that doesn't really do any good for finding your lost bag as far as I can tell.

There are a couple of Airtag knock off for Android, but haven't been impressed with the reviews.

Going to try to use my friend's old Apple SE phone and see if we can make them work. Other option is to ask a friend with an iPhone to track them for me.

13 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Really only with Apple, which is a bummer.  You can get an App for Android that will read an airtag that you find, but that doesn't really do any good for finding your lost bag as far as I can tell.

There are a couple of Airtag knock off for Android, but haven't been impressed with the reviews.

Going to try to use my friend's old Apple SE phone and see if we can make them work. Other option is to ask a friend with an iPhone to track them for me.

Make sure you do some research on that - from what I've read (I don't have my AirTags to play with yet, they're being delivered today) you will connect them to a specific iPhone, which associates them with a specific Apple account.  Using someone else's phone might make them difficult to track...or maybe not, I'm not sure at this point - but I'd recommend reading up on it before you travel.

9 hours ago, bitob said:

you might be able to use tiles

check on line

I've read good things about Tiles as well.

I think all of this tech has some limitations, but when I think back to oh, 20 or 30 years ago I can't help but be amazed on a daily basis.  Pretty incredible stuff...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Using someone else's phone might make them difficult to track...or maybe not, I'm not sure at this point - but I'd recommend reading up on it before you travel.

I would just text/email/ call her to have her track them. But no need, because my cruise buddy's older iPhone is compatible. So we will set them up tomorrow.

And we decided to both take carry-on bags as well as one checked bag, so that we will have plenty of clothes (but not plenty of books) if our checked bags go missing. That is what the Navigator library is for!

On 7/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, bitob said:

On 7/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, bitob said:

It’s magic. You will not regret it. 

We are certainly considering the Apple airtags, but maybe still need convincing of how useful they are in solving the situation if an airline (or cruise-line) misplaces one or more of your bags.

If we take the scenario where we are flying from London Heathrow to Barcelona.

In Barcelona our bag(s) does not appear on the carousel. 

Even though the airtag app might indicate that the bag is still in London, is this of any use to us? We will still have to go through the airline/airport "lost baggage" procedure and trust that they locate the bag(s) and get it to us.

The airtag is obviously of use in pinpointing a bag's location, but does that information help or speed up the recovery of the bag?

Anyone have any positive experiences that they can share?

Unfortunately Amazon UK did not reduce the price during Amazon Prime (2) Day, so we still haven't ordered a pack 😉

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

We are certainly considering the Apple airtags, but maybe still need convincing of how useful they are in solving the situation if an airline (or cruise-line) misplaces one or more of your bags.

If we take the scenario where we are flying from London Heathrow to Barcelona.

In Barcelona our bag(s) does not appear on the carousel. 

Even though the airtag app might indicate that the bag is still in London, is this of any use to us? We will still have to go through the airline/airport "lost baggage" procedure and trust that they locate the bag(s) and get it to us.

The airtag is obviously of use in pinpointing a bag's location, but does that information help or speed up the recovery of the bag?

Anyone have any positive experiences that they can share?

Unfortunately Amazon UK did not reduce the price during Amazon Prime (2) Day, so we still haven't ordered a pack 😉

There are tons of articles about how passengers found their bags using air tags. 

• Like 1

We're with you on this one @flossie009 , mostly because we are not users of i-things, but also because we had a similar conversation to the outline of your post above.  We are flying from Heathrow to Copenhagen later next week and reached the conclusion that a bag that doesn't arrive is always going to be a pain in the neck, whether or not it has a tag inside.  Knowing that it's still in London when we are in Copenhagen will not necessarily enhance our cruise experience.

• Like 2

Well, for non-stop flights I think it isn't that useful maybe.

But when I fly to Copenhagen next week I have 3 flights to get there, so if my bag doesn't make it, I would find it useful to see which airport it was stuck at. That way I can be knowledgeable when I speak to airline about which flight they are putting it on to catch up with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:25 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Well, for non-stop flights I think it isn't that useful maybe.

But when I fly to Copenhagen next week I have 3 flights to get there, so if my bag doesn't make it, I would find it useful to see which airport it was stuck at. That way I can be knowledgeable when I speak to airline about which flight they are putting it on to catch up with me.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:59 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

The also can be useful in keeping the airline honest. Too often they are vague (at best) about your luggage's location. 

I agree with these posts - I would MUCH rather have a more real-time idea of where my bags are that I could communicate to the airlines than have to rely on their word as to the location.

Several years ago we got rerouted on our way to Copenhagen due to weather...last minute routing through Canada, and of course my main suitcase didn't arrive.  They finally found it in LHR...but neither our original routing nor our revised routing went through LHR, so how my bag ended up there is still a mystery.

Long story short - my bag didn't get to the ship in time and I went five days without it.  I'm pretty certain if I would have been able to tell them upon arrival in CPH that my bag was in London, I'd have had it before we sailed.

It's a $25 investment - well worth it to me.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, flossie009 said:

Are you a Costco member, Flossie? They had 4 for under £80 https://www.costco.co.uk/TVs-Electronics-Security/Phones/Mobile-Accessories/Apple-AirTag-4-Pack-MX542ZMA/p/371679

need to work out how they work now 😂😂