Why do people carry on Luggage

ThaNectar

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Why?

Cause they enjoy minding their own business? Just a thought.

I think you are mis-interpreting the question.  The OP is asking, I suppose, because it never occurred to them that there was an upside to doing so.  If one has never done so, it does seem like extra work with no obvious benefit.  Especially since we are all conditioned to check out big bags when flying.  (And what a nightmare that has become at Pearson and other airports in Canada...)   I don't think they are being judgmental, just curious.  

For us, we drop the bags with the porters - we aren't interested in lugging around a couple of large-ish suitcases (we usually pack our own snorkeling gear, for example).  We pack a few extra pieces of lightweight clothing in our carry-ons "just in case".  But we also board wearing what would be OK for dinner - me in khakis and a polo shirt, her in a dress or pants of some type with a nice top.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Luggage has to be pretty darned big to not fit through the scanner.  Have you seen this happen?  What was it, like a foot locker???

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

The Carnival Cruise Luggage Restrictions You Need to Know

Yes, but on my recent cruise out of Galveston several people had luggage too large to go through the scanners. They were directed over to the sided for hand checking. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Yes, but on my recent cruise out of Galveston several people had luggage too large to go through the scanners. They were directed over to the sided for hand checking. 

Texans needing room for their hats! 😆

We've gotten much better at packing light and are now routinely able to carry onto the plane.  Historically we'd only carry on our duffel handing our two modest roller bags to the porters.  But that was before reaching Platinum when we'd have to babysit our bags until 1:30.  Now, because we can do a quick drop and go, we may reconsider.  One thing that's important is that we do have very nice wire cable connected luggage tags that have almost a zero chance of failure.  We've never had a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think you are mis-interpreting the question.  The OP is asking, I suppose, because it never occurred to them that there was an upside to doing so.  If one has never done so, it does seem like extra work with no obvious benefit.  Especially since we are all conditioned to check out big bags when flying.  (And what a nightmare that has become at Pearson and other airports in Canada...)   I don't think they are being judgmental, just curious.  

For us, we drop the bags with the porters - we aren't interested in lugging around a couple of large-ish suitcases (we usually pack our own snorkeling gear, for example).  We pack a few extra pieces of lightweight clothing in our carry-ons "just in case".  But we also board wearing what would be OK for dinner - me in khakis and a polo shirt, her in a dress or pants of some type with a nice top.

Bingo

• Like 1

For all the above reasons.

DH and I travel light...on carry-on for each of us!  What I can't understand is why people need "all that stuff" on a Carnival cruise.  Does anyone really care if you wear the same t-shirt a couple of times...I don't think so!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think it was even permitted to carry a bag that's too large for the scanner.  And I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry on big bags.

We've done 40+ cruises.  Never had any damage, never had any lost.  Last cruise, our tag came off, and they still figured us out and got the bag to our cabin right away.  (Small return address label on the bag, just to break up the solid black.)

We would never think of carrying on the big stuff ourselves.  It's a vacation; let someone else do the heavy work.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

For all the above reasons.

DH and I travel light...on carry-on for each of us!  What I can't understand is why people need "all that stuff" on a Carnival cruise.  Does anyone really care if you wear the same t-shirt a couple of times...I don't think so!

BINGO!  I can pack for 2 people for a 5-6 day cruise in two legit (and I say that because some people don't really know what "carry" on means) airplane carry on size suite cases and two small shoulder bags that easily fit under our seat in front of us.  That's a change of clothes for every day, all foundation items plus extras, an extra Tshirt or two, dress clothes enough as needed (slacks, shirts, skirts, sun dress), PJ's for both of us, all our shoes (dress shoes, water shoes, sandals), Beach stuff (bag, hats, sunglasses, camera), extras like our own snorkels &  mask, tablet, book, toiletries, blow dryer, curling iron, jewelry and watches (in hard cases) even things like laundry soap/dryer sheet packet (just in case), clothes pins, neck wallet, purse, regular wallet, all our liquids in the appropriate 2 liquids bag (3 oz size or less for the whole week - and I have a LOT of products I take lol).   I always still have a little room left in a shoulder bag to bring home a couple things I might buy.

And hubby and I are both a little fluffy, so it isn't like we are packing size 4 clothing for me and Mediums for him.

I watch people get on with suitcases I could back for 3 months in and just wonder to myself what the heck do they have in there, their kids?  lol! 🤣

BEST advice we give people that ask about packing for a cruise.  Lay out everything you plan to pack... then get rid of 1/2 of it.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@wemjamAnd don't forget,  if you're platinum they do your laundry (at least I hope they still do your laundry).

Yep, Diamond, but haven't had them do my laundry for years.  Did before when Platinum a few times, but too many times they came back and were grey, faded out etc.  So I just buy some powdered laundry soap (since we fly), and fill a quart zip lock about 1/3 full, fold that over and put it in another quart zip lock with 3 dryer sheets and I pack that whenever we travel anywhere.  My emergency laundry pack.  I have used it to wash clothes on longer (7-8 days cruises) around day 2 or 3 so I can still pack in carry on only.  I don't mind throwing a load in late in the evening when things are quiet and dead, and then I have more than enough clothes even for a 7 or 8 day cruise in carry on only.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I can pack for 2 people for a 5-6 day cruise in two legit (and I say that because some people don't really know what "carry" on means) airplane carry on size suite cases and two small shoulder bags that easily fit under our seat in front of us. 

That's good for you, and probably many others, but not our typical situation.

Our one or two backpacks are full of camera gear (DSLR/Lenses + GoPro stuff), or something else "fragile/valuable".  And I'd rather not drag around a couple "airplane carry-ons" even just for a couple of hours (since we like to get on early), so I'm happy to check a piece or two, and if doing that, I may as well use a bigger suitcase (which also allows us to bring the aforementioned snorkeling gear).  And since we typically take 7 or 8 day cruises, the bigger bags help there too - plus leaves room for souvenirs.

So, as usual, YMMV, and what works for one person is generally not going to be universal.

• Like 1

Sometimes we carry on.  Sometimes we don't.  We have a 1 bag per person rule for all travel so it's not hard to manage and any size bag pretty much fits through the port scanners. I might carry on for next one in December because of the staffing shortages and not wanting to wait until midnight to unpack.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I don't mind throwing a load in late in the evening when things are quiet and dead, and then I have more than enough clothes even for a 7 or 8 day cruise in carry on only.

Unfortunately the Excel class ships no longer have self-service laundry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

BINGO!  I can pack for 2 people for a 5-6 day cruise in two legit (and I say that because some people don't really know what "carry" on means) airplane carry on size suite cases and two small shoulder bags that easily fit under our seat in front of us.  That's a change of clothes for every day, all foundation items plus extras, an extra Tshirt or two, dress clothes enough as needed (slacks, shirts, skirts, sun dress), PJ's for both of us, all our shoes (dress shoes, water shoes, sandals), Beach stuff (bag, hats, sunglasses, camera), extras like our own snorkels &  mask, tablet, book, toiletries, blow dryer, curling iron, jewelry and watches (in hard cases) even things like laundry soap/dryer sheet packet (just in case), clothes pins, neck wallet, purse, regular wallet, all our liquids in the appropriate 2 liquids bag (3 oz size or less for the whole week - and I have a LOT of products I take lol).   I always still have a little room left in a shoulder bag to bring home a couple things I might buy.

And hubby and I are both a little fluffy, so it isn't like we are packing size 4 clothing for me and Mediums for him.

I watch people get on with suitcases I could back for 3 months in and just wonder to myself what the heck do they have in there, their kids?  lol! 🤣

BEST advice we give people that ask about packing for a cruise.  Lay out everything you plan to pack... then get rid of 1/2 of it.

I'm a runner.  So I pack extra clothes for that and a pair of running shoes (sometimes I do wear them on).  I am also a heavy sweater, made worse by medication I am on.  So wearing the same running clothes several times doesn't work, even with sink washing.  But it also means I don't like to wear the same tops several times.  

I did pack for a 5 day cruise, just carry on but it was tight.  I wore my sneakers on the plane.  Brought a backpack.  I wore everything I brought at least once.  I did not have any room to spare.  And that ship didn't have self serve laundry. I could not have done a longer cruise carry on. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

We will check our large suitcase with the porter. 

We each take a carry-on suitcase.

Hubby has camera and electric gear and I take medicines and

extra clothing incase our large suitcase goes missing.

I think that people should do whatever makes them feel comfortable.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2022 at 2:05 PM, ThaNectar said:

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

Those that have back packs always turning and bumping them into someone. Especially in the elevator. Yes,. we carry on our luggage and DO NOT walk allover with them. We take them directly to our room. No need to hope they show up at our room. We then unpack then go for lunch. All done and ready for the cruise. Same when the cruise is over. The luggage stays in the room. We go for breakfast and then go get the luggage and get off. So simple and fast. Our luggage is small. Not monster suite cases.

• Like 2

So here's a little interesting twist.  We're getting strategic for an upcoming Alaska landcruise on Princess where we're allowed 3 tiers of luggage: Backpack, nightly but stowed underneath on the bus, and cruise ship ONLY.  I'm thinking we'll take a backpack each, a single 'checked' size for the bus and a carry-on size for the cruise only portion. Alaska is always challenging because the sheer bulk of coats/sweaters makes a difference.

PS. If you Southerners are doing Alaska, DO NOT purchase matching 'winter' coats.   We northerners chuckle under our breath. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, ThaNectar said:

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

When I have done this I had faster to the fun.   It was nice.  Because we got on were able to go straight to our room unpack and then go eat.  I don't think I would do it otherwise.  But it was nice in that situation

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

We will check our large suitcase with the porter. 

We each take a carry-on suitcase.

Hubby has camera and electric gear and I take medicines and

extra clothing incase our large suitcase goes missing.

I think that people should do whatever makes them feel comfortable.

We do the same.  Carry-ons with essentials and a couple changes of clothes along with one large suitcase with everything else. We check the big bag at the airport then give it to the porter at the port.  At least if the airline or ship loses the big bag we could survive with our carry-ons and still enjoy the cruise without having to wear a ship's robe to dinner.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin308 said:

When I have done this I had faster to the fun.   It was nice.  Because we got on were able to go straight to our room unpack and then go eat.  I don't think I would do it otherwise.  But it was nice in that situation

This can be done with "slower to the fun".  For the low cost a drink or 2 at your hotel you can take your time, show up to the ship after 1:30, and go straight to your cabin and unpack your wheeled on luggage. Then off to the lido for lunch.

No lines, no fuss, no stress, no lost luggage.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

This can be done with "slower to the fun".  For the low cost a drink or 2 at your hotel you can take your time, show up to the ship after 1:30, and go straight to your cabin and unpack your wheeled on luggage. Then off to the lido for lunch.

The poor man's faster to the fun - works every time :) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

This is what we did on our last cruise, and enjoyed it so much. Took our time getting ready at the motel, found a What a Burger up close, had a relaxing breakfast, then drove around Galveston for over an hour before we headed to the cruise terminal. Checked our bags with porter, caught a shuttle to the cruise port, then once there, did not stop moving until we were on the ship. We did the required muster drill, then to our room with our cards waiting for us in our mail slot. That was the most relaxing, no stress boarding we've ever had. And plan on doing the exact same thing on our next cruise. :classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ilovesailaway said:

You got that right.

• Like 2

I only read the first page. IDK if this was mentioned.

If you read the fine print, CCL (or any cruise liner) isn't responsible for any lost luggage or damages when you give the luggage to the porter until it goes into the ship. So if you luggage falls into ocean (it literally can happen and has happened to some cruising youtubers), then you are 100% responsible for it. CCL isn't. Full stop.

You have to use your travel insurance to pay for the lost/damaged luggage, and I don't buy travel insurance (not yet anyways). So if your suitcase goes missing, you will be footing the bill at the end of the day. You will be stuck buying CCL shirts and pants out of your own pocket, and their clothing can sometimes be overpriced for what you get.

Security may have to search your entire room (2 rooms if it is interconnecting) too. CCL is very vague on this policy.