River Cruise Packing List

BeeSkip

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO A RIVER CRUISE PACKING LIST FOR SUMMER?  DO MEN NEED TO BRING SPORT COAT?  COLLARED SHIRTS IN DINING ROOM?

LADIES: SANDALS ON THE SHIP?  IS THE AC "COLD" THEREBY NEEDING SWEATER?  ANYTHING YOU FOUND REALLY HELPFUL TO HAVE?

THANKS

bEE

Think business casual.  For men a collared shirt of some sort is really all you need, doesn't need to be a button down.  My husband wore golf shirts most of the time.  We had one single older guy who wore nothing but tennis shoes, old shorts, and t-shirts the entire trip and no one said anything to him.  Sandals for women, or men, are fine.

I think temp will depend on time of year, if the ship is moving, and what side the sun is on.  Days we were moored, it was much warmer, particularly on the side facing the afternoon sun.

Clothing wise, my favorite items are my pashmina (works as scarf, hood, or blanket,) sturdy walking shoes, and a good sun hat.

for what cruise line? there may be some variation.

For Amawaterways I wear jeans and a t-shirt the entire week except the "farewell dinner" where they ask for at least slacks and a collared shirt.  Definitely don't bring anything fancy.

The AC is definitely going to be a ship-ship and line to line thing.

Ive found the AC to do its job once you figure out where you and it want to agree it needs to be set.

Some lines don't care for shorts in the dining room for dinner, but I would say they might make exceptions when it's hot like it is there now. For men, a golf shirt & light weight pants is fine, and for women, a nice top & capris work well.  I had a light sweater to wear over my sleeveless tops, just in case I found the A/C cool, think I wore it once or twice. A/C was fine on our cruise, and never really needed it.

I have great sandals for both walking and that work for dinner. 

We were on Avalon, most just dressed for a nice casual dinner out, nothing fancy (can't remember seeing anyone with a dress or skirt, but if you are more comfortable in one, it won't be out of place....as long as it's not a formal one 🙂), but neat. One guy did wear t-shirts that had stuff printed on them, but it didn't take anyone's pleasure of the great food away.

Edited by Daisi

If you’re on Viking definitely casual and not country club. Lots of shorts and capris. A few casual dresses. I don’t remember any sport coats or dress pants or shirts. Two women wore close to cocktail dresses one night. It may have been a special occasion but they were a definite contrast to the LL Bean type clothes most others were wearing. There’s no need for much jewelry either. 

• Like 2

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to River Cruise Packing List
  • 4 weeks later...

Do men need to bring pants for dinners or will a nice pair of golf shorts/dress shorts with colored golf shirt be ok? My husband hates pants on vacation. BTW-1st Viking Danube cruise booked for next June.

Edited by joy1rn

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

To my mind regardless of your carrier no shorts at dinner please 🙏  any other time yes.

Love him, I know it’s a pain but as you Americans say ‘suck it up’ just this one time, Viking or not, please.

Agreed! Slacks at dinner recommended. 👏

On 8/15/2022 at 3:30 AM, Canal archive said:

To my mind regardless of your carrier no shorts at dinner please 🙏  any other time yes.

Love him, I know it’s a pain but as you Americans say ‘suck it up’ just this one time, Viking or not, please.

Well, I admit I am of the opposite opinion...  I see no issue with dress shorts on men at dinner.  Women can (and often do) wear short dresses...  So why are men's "naked" legs more offensive??   You won't see the person's legs once they sit down anyway as they will be below table height.  

There are other things that have the potential to disturb me more at dinner.  Heavy smokers and passengers who come to the table wearing strong perfume or cologne can ruin the atmosphere when that is all I can smell. Or  those who have been drinking heavily before dinner and reek of alcohol, or are drunk to the point that they can still make it to the table on their own but are obnoxious in their comments and conversation.  

Luckily there is no assigned seating, so you shouldn't have to sit with people you don't enjoy  eating with more than one meal.  Give me men's naked legs anytime over obnoxious or smelly people!!

Fran

• Like 2

Franski I agree with everything you say with these caveats nice legs (women can appreciate a good leg on a man) and an excellently tailored pair of shorts. The only time a man we were unfortunately cruising with who insisted on wearing short - shorts at all times was lacking in all departments. He took packing light to the nth degree. CPT what a way to add extra enjoyment to my morning coffee,  a delightful picture of Tom Selleck now there’s a man who could carry off a pair of shorts. From my mum ‘if you’ve got it flaunt it’.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, franski said:

Well, I admit I am of the opposite opinion...  I see no issue with dress shorts on men at dinner.  Women can (and often do) wear short dresses...  So why are men's "naked" legs more offensive??   You won't see the person's legs once they sit down anyway as they will be below table height.  

There are other things that have the potential to disturb me more at dinner.  Heavy smokers and passengers who come to the table wearing strong perfume or cologne can ruin the atmosphere when that is all I can smell. Or  those who have been drinking heavily before dinner and reek of alcohol, or are drunk to the point that they can still make it to the table on their own but are obnoxious in their comments and conversation.  

Luckily there is no assigned seating, so you shouldn't have to sit with people you don't enjoy  eating with more than one meal.  Give me men's naked legs anytime over obnoxious or smelly people!!

Fran

I agree Fran, you only see above the table, and to tell the truth, I'm more interested in looking at a persons face and eyes than even what clothes they are wearing.  Reminds me of my B-i-L, who invited us all to his place when they moved from Southern Ont to our end. We showed up, he had a dress shirt, tie and dress shorts! Yes, there were a few AC/DC references, but that's how he was comfortable in our 30+ heat. I was more worried when he was BBQ'ing that his tie would end up in it, but nope, all was good.