Dutch Cafe on Stantendam

southernshug

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

and that is the low calorie version 😁

I waited until I had a 10 mile day before I ordered it and it still took was too much. But yummy it was and even the chocolate was good. 

• Like 2

No one has mentioned the fries. On Nieuw Statendam we had ordered sandwiches. Mine was a little late coming out so when he brought my wife's, he brought us a plate of fries (we had not ordered) to snack on until my sandwich was ready. How good were those fries. We ate them all and then ordered another round for dessert. Went back three more times with family and friends and did the same thing. Try the fries. They (at least on NS) double fry them. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

And the cookies are the BEST!

The huge (8-inch diameter) chocolate chip cookies that are so soft you cannot hold them in with your fingers without them falling apart.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

Almond cookies with a soft almond paste filling are so yummy:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0322-Edit.jpg

• Like 6

We really enjoyed the Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle class ship.  However, if the ship is crowded, as another poster has indicated on a European cruise, I doubt I would enjoy long lines there, as well.  The staff really hustles, but the service is not super fast,  and if the ship is crowded, it will be one hot mess.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, albingirl said:

We really enjoyed the Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle class ship.  However, if the ship is crowded, as another poster has indicated on a European cruise, I doubt I would enjoy long lines there, as well.  The staff really hustles, but the service is not super fast,  and if the ship is crowded, it will be one hot mess.

Fortunately, the Grand Dutch Cafe has at least two baristas working at any one time with three during peak times and the line moves quickly.  There is also staff working back in the kitchen preparing food and those great cookies/pastries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

The Dutch Cafe is the best new innovation that the geniuses in Seattle have developed.  It's tied with the inspired Sel de Mer.  Different concepts.  Both very successful.  

I'll say 'Amen' to your comment.  After sailing twice on Koningsdam and enjoying the Grand Dutch Cafe, among the other added venues, I'm hesitant to sail the ships that don't have these!

13 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

I'll say 'Amen' to your comment.  After sailing twice on Koningsdam and enjoying the Grand Dutch Cafe, among the other added venues, I'm hesitant to sail the ships that don't have these!

I think some of the items are now rolling out on the menu in the MDR and the cookies in the Exploration cafe.  The spring rolls in the MDR are definitely ala Tamarind.   The Pannenkoek and Kroket are now on the MDR lunch menu.  I think the pea soup should be an everyday item like the onion soup - then my life might be complete😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think some of the items are now rolling out on the menu in the MDR and the cookies in the Exploration cafe.  The spring rolls in the MDR are definitely ala Tamarind.   The Pannenkoek and Kroket are now on the MDR lunch menu.  I think the pea soup should be an everyday item like the onion soup - then my life might be complete😉

The return of some of these items to the once always offered fare on HAL like Bitterballen would be most welcome to the realization that "what was old is now new" and can be enjoyed by a new generation of cruisers.  

• Like 3