Is it worth getting an OB

Sunday golf

36 minutes ago, Sunday golf said:

The cruise we are looking at has an OB option. Certainly cheaper but what are the pit falls?

It is nothing more than Seabourn speak for an outside balcony guarantee.  In theory you could be assigned anything from a Category V1 to the largest suite on the ship.   The downside is that SB chooses your suite/location,

Hank

We have gone for that option several times and have always been happy with our allocation. The locations have been ones which we would have chosen if booking a specific suite. 

On the O class ships 95% of cruises we have been allocated deck 8 midships.  The remainders have been deck 6 midships.  

But it really is the luck of the draw. Despite our positive experience so far, I would not take a chance for long cruises.

• Like 2

Would you be satisfied, if you end up with the lowest category of verandah cabin? That is what we received when we booked an OB, lowest deck, farthest forward cabin, save one. Plenty of anchor and thruster noise and we enjoyed a bouncier ride. I figured we got what we paid for and we had a great cruise.

We just booked an OB on a different line. I tuned out our travel agent's prediction that we'd be upgraded.

The one time we elected to book an OB we were given a suite on Deck 6.  We loved it!  Previously, we had selected decks 7 and 8 and I can honestly say we liked 6 better.  We were close to an elevator and didn't have to constantly traverse a narrow hallway.  So, I would do an OB again  

You would risk getting the worst cabin in some category such as the ones near the Bridge whose cameras can see your veranda usage? 

No, definitely not worth the risk. And who needs any more risk now? This risk is avoidable. Pay for what you want, firm is all up, and relax.

Happy and healthy sailing!

7 minutes ago, markham said:

You would risk getting the worst cabin in some category such as the ones near the Bridge whose cameras can see your veranda usage? 

No, definitely not worth the risk. And who needs any more risk now? This risk is avoidable. Pay for what you want, firm is all up, and relax.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Wow!  Didn't know about that suite.  

It depends on your priorities.

On the non-Venture ships, I would not do it because I don't like SB PH suites (the bed area was very claustrophobic and the living room sofa hard like a rock and unusable. I spend most of my time in the suite stretched out on something, so must be on the bed due to the hard sofa, and in a PH I'd be stuck away from the rest of the room ). 

I also like to be on a lower deck, not a higher one , so I am closer to the sea, so it would take a huge price differential or other bonus to get me high.

If you easily get very seasick, you don't want to risk a suite that is very far forward and high. 

11 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

It depends on your priorities.

On the non-Venture ships, I would not do it because I don't like SB PH suites (the bed area was very claustrophobic and the living room sofa hard like a rock and unusable. I spend most of my time in the suite stretched out on something, so must be on the bed due to the hard sofa, and in a PH I'd be stuck away from the rest of the room ). 

I also like to be on a lower deck, not a higher one , so I am closer to the sea, so it would take a huge price differential or other bonus to get me high.

If you easily get very seasick, you don't want to risk a suite that is very far forward and high. 

Catlover54, we are new to Seabourn and booked a PH because like you, we love to stretch out to read or watch the view. I didn't realize the sofa was so hard. Will the staff bring a pad or other cushioning to make the sofa usable? I hope I didn't make a big mistake.

-- MJ

4 hours ago, MJfromCA said:

Catlover54, we are new to Seabourn and booked a PH because like you, we love to stretch out to read or watch the view. I didn't realize the sofa was so hard. Will the staff bring a pad or other cushioning to make the sofa usable? I hope I didn't make a big mistake.

-- MJ

The sofa is fine.

I have laid on many 😁

No ship will please everyone.

You'll have a great time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Yes, my back was sore for two weeks, but we had a great time.

And the coffin like bed area is a problem for some.

It fine for us.

We board Encore soon and have a Penthouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

It fine for us.

We board Encore soon and have a Penthouse.

Enjoy your cruise Mr L. I must admit I prefer the penthouse on the larger ships rather than the Odyssey class. I found the large L shaped sofa and larger dining table made it feel more crowded on the Odyssey class. I am hoping they may have changed them for something smaller or will do so in the future. But first world problems.

8 hours ago, MJfromCA said:

Will the staff bring a pad or other cushioning to make the sofa usable? I hope I didn't make a big mistake.

-- MJ

Based on what I have been experiencing on my current cruise I am sure the crew will bring you some padding if you need it, though I didn't find them that hard for me.

• Like 1

This thread has veered off from an OB to a PH discussion.

OBs rarely get assigned a PH or above.  It can happen, but it's highly unlikely.  OBs are assigned a V1 to V4 (equivalent to V1 to V6 prior to the re-categorization exercise earlier this year).  Don't count on getting anything above, and no need to worry about a PH whether you like it or not.

• Like 9