How to note a food allergy for my cruise

My daughter is allergic to pineapple and while she is usually careful about drinks sometimes it is in a drink without being obvious or listed.  Is there a way that I can add the allergy to her account?  It is not the end of the world we always have Benadryl with us for the times when she is not paying attention like the coleslaw incident this weekend.  She was totally unaware of the pineapple until her throat started to get itchy.  You would think at age 23 I would not have to remind her about these things. 

Thank you for any assistance. 

5 minutes ago, mkrr1123 said:

My daughter is allergic to pineapple and while she is usually careful about drinks sometimes it is in a drink without being obvious or listed.  Is there a way that I can add the allergy to her account?  It is not the end of the world we always have Benadryl with us for the times when she is not paying attention like the coleslaw incident this weekend.  She was totally unaware of the pineapple until her throat started to get itchy.  You would think at age 23 I would not have to remind her about these things. 

Her allergy can be noted in the reservation when booking.  You can also contact the special needs department.  

12 minutes ago, mkrr1123 said:

The dining staff in the MDR and restaurants will do a good job about asking about allergies but I have never heard a bartender ask.  My wife has a dairy allergy and it is noted on the reservation but the bartenders or coffee servers rarely pick it up.  I would be extremely cautious at any bar, buffet as well as all the snack food places.

• Like 3

Thank you. She is well trained to ask about pineapple in drinks but like I said it can be sneaky in terms of being used in dishes.  I was hoping that if I noted it the bartenders might catch it with her sea pass but I guess that can be hit or miss.  

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The dining staff in the MDR and restaurants will do a good job about asking about allergies but I have never heard a bartender ask.  My wife has a dairy allergy and it is noted on the reservation but the bartenders or coffee servers rarely pick it up.  I would be extremely cautious at any bar, buffet as well as all the snack food places.

Be sure to mention it to the head waiter. They will go over the menus with you and if needed you can special order. 

• Like 1

I also have a specific food allergy.  On the first day in the Windjammer if there is a dish I'm unsure of, I have asked staff monitoring the foods if a dish contains a specific ingredient.  They will leave and go ask the chefs.  If I have a doubt, I won't eat that item.

Likewise, at our first MDR meal, the waiters will usually ask if anyone has food allergies.  I will mention mine.  Almost without fail, they will mention it every night as a precaution.  I've found Royal to be extremely attentive in this area.

• Like 1

I realize that one of the benefits of doing traditional (not anytime) dining in MDR is having the same waitstaff each night.  The first night, they have always asked if we have any food allergies.  I feel comfortable that we will be taken care of after that.  (In my case, shellfish.)

I have a rare Dairy Allergy called FPIES.  I sent an email to special_needs@rccl.com letting them know of my Severe FPIES Dairy Allergy and I received a response a few minutes ago.  Here is a screenshot of what they sent to me.  I hope this is helpful.  Thank you to the person on the RCCL board that told me to contact them by email. 

E585750E-F34D-4A5F-B392-07E0E2FA0333.jpeg

• Like 1

RC does a great job with food allergies, but that's a tough one. I have no doubt they'll help you eat in confidence, but I'd definitely follow their advice and get a face to face meeting with the dining staff.  They are really good about checking up on you each meal once they know your face.

If I had to pick a career all over again, it'd be in food allergy research. They've come a long way in developing readily available alternatives to (traditional) dairy allergies, gluten, egg, etc. But still plenty of people out there who struggle to enjoy a vacation away from home over food concerns.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:39 PM, mkrr1123 said:

I have a coconut allergy, so similarly, both food and drinks are a concern, but drinks are pretty easy to avoid, it's food that's the main issue. Coconut oil and coconut milk are in so many things that you wouldn't expect like ice cream, desserts, soups etc so I make sure to email in advance and then go directly to the dining room upon boarding and speak to the Maitre'D/Head Waiter, whoever is there at the time, to have it noted again and make sure they're aware for dinner. Then, I will always order the next nights meal in advance if I'm eating in the MDR. I used to try to just avoid it without making a fuss and letting them know, thinking that I could tell what foods would contain it, but on a past RCI cruise I must have eaten something with coconut in it and got really sick so I don't do that anymore. It also doesn't help that I'm a vegetarian - so many times curries are the only veggie offering on the menu, which more often than not, contain coconut milk - so it's just best to work with the head waiter and let them know what you want to eat the next night. They will make something off menu for you if you want, or make something on the menu work for you (if they can). So make sure your daughter (or you, if she's too shy to ask) speaks up and asks if there's something they can do. 

• Like 1

Is it only Pineapple?  There can be hyper sensitivity with other fruits such as bananas.  For example, I'm allergic (not anaphylactic) to Shrimp so I avoid all crustaceans and shell fish and I know to ask if I'm not sure..  

The waitstaff usually asks about any allergies.  Even if you let Special Needs know, that works fine with your regular waitstaff, but WJ, bar, other food venue staffs won't know.  

Just to note, I have to be very careful with my diet.  I have been(and will probably soon be again) doing dialysis so have to be very careful with my salt intake and phosphorus.  But basically we see the head waiter in Main Dining before the first meal.  Always do the traditional seating so we have constant wait staff.   But they accommodated me very well(even helping to arrange my meal on the Perfect Day at Coco Cay ahead of time) and I just ordered the next night's dinner the night before and it was no issue, with dinner, and even breakfast also in the main dining room.  I was generally worried before going on the cruise, but received reassurances when I called them about it about 2 weeks prior to the cruise, and the staff were very helpful in meeting my needs

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies.  I will make sure she speaks up.  She is allergic to many things but her reactions are not that serious.   It can be handled with Benadryl.  She will break out in hives with certain animal fur, but pineapple seems to be the only food that causes her issues.  She is fine with shellfish and coconut.  I was mainly worried about drinks but according to the menus pineapple is listed as an ingredient. 

• Like 1

Food allergies can to be noted after reservation itself by writing the special needs form, by email to special needs department, but, of course, you'll need to get confirmation at first day in the ship. I have a crustacean/shellfish allergy that has always well catered by the ships crews no matter the line. As for bartenders it is worth for you to advise them of your allergies before asking for a drink. For example: I'm sensitive to caffeine, so, they'll replace said element on the drink with either way decaffeinated coffee or any other thing they find usable to make me said drinks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@cloud_nineI don’t mean to be nosy but is your reaction anaphylaxis or do you get really sick? Do you have FPIES like me?  

No, it's not anaphylaxis, I just get really sick with severe gastrointestinal symptoms. I had never heard of FPIES before, but reading up on it, it does actually sound very similar to what I experience when I eat coconut. I've always had a problem with coconut ever since I was a child (the first time I had a bounty bar I projectile-vomited all over a friend's patio) and it just seems to have got worse the older I get (though that could be because coconut oil and milk are in sooo many more foods now than it used to be). 

• Like 1

We always have wait staff ask us and then because the allergy is a bit unusual, more than half the time, one of the chefs comes out to talk to us or the head water will come over.  I always feel like they bend over backwards to make sure everything is taken into account.