Live from Quest, Barcelona to Montreal, July 22 to August 29

kjbacon

Would you further elaborate as to how the food is the same in all restaurants onboard?  Perhaps you are referring to the fact that there is not a designated Italian restaurant or Asian fusion restaurant etc?  I like the fact that the menu changes daily in the MDR (with items always available too).  I also see Earth and Ocean as a real departure from the MDR and from the TK Grill.  Also, the Colonnade seems less formal in its offerings than the MDR.  I could go on--but I am interested in what you are describing.  

• Like 2

kjbacon, it looks from pics that you are in my favourite suite - I guess the one positive to your onboard quarantine is that you have plenty of space.  I have been enjoying your food photos very much.

I do hope that you are both negative tomorrow and are free to enjoy Bordeaux. 

8 hours ago, Isklaar said:

kjbacon, it looks from pics that you are in my favourite suite - I guess the one positive to your onboard quarantine is that you have plenty of space.  I have been enjoying your food photos very much.

I do hope that you are both negative tomorrow and are free to enjoy Bordeaux. 

Thanks so much and yes, this is a lovely suite. 

We just learned that we are both still positive and our view today in La Rochelle is not as beautiful as Bordeaux.

D53C48B1-EEE1-44BF-895F-911FB4A7C4B6.thumb.jpeg.a5e722ff5c9aeb4becd22e3fd61ba21f.jpeg

Many, many thanks to Seabourn for hearing us and bringing on some Saint Emilion Bordeaux!! We will just drink our way through this captivity.

56E70B54-E571-4A89-B0B1-6CFB596111E5.thumb.jpeg.8bd3d783a549603574f8fd9ad8bbc403.jpeg

Last night was a great dinner, the Thomas Keller fried chicken night at the Collonade. The best dishes were the green salad and the fried chicken plus it was so nice for something different.

AC9FCF3C-23CD-4AAF-B55E-B54AC6773CB0.thumb.jpeg.194cead6ca7287e739e43bfa0372e8c3.jpeg
C73EA8D1-CDEC-401A-AE69-38B49086FDD2.thumb.jpeg.14b5e2ab33a38701509da87e8696ded4.jpeg

9 hours ago, SLSD said:

Would you further elaborate as to how the food is the same in all restaurants onboard?  Perhaps you are referring to the fact that there is not a designated Italian restaurant or Asian fusion restaurant etc?  I like the fact that the menu changes daily in the MDR (with items always available too).  I also see Earth and Ocean as a real departure from the MDR and from the TK Grill.  Also, the Colonnade seems less formal in its offerings than the MDR.  I could go on--but I am interested in what you are describing.  

The physical venues are quite different and all very appealing. The style of the food is similar though and not distinctive to the venue.

• Like 6

Good morning kjbacon. Sorry to read that you are still positive. I thought you had another day in Bordeaux today and had hoped that you may make it off the ship. Your view of La Rochelle does it no favours! It's actually a very pleasant town, but I must say it can be like a zoo in July and August. 

Where is your next port? 

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Good morning kjbacon. Sorry to read that you are still positive. I thought you had another day in Bordeaux today and had hoped that you may make it off the ship. Your view of La Rochelle does it no favours! It's actually a very pleasant town, but I must say it can be like a zoo in July and August. 

Where is your next port? 

Yes, lol, not the best view but I had been looking forward to it. My reading about it sounded like a very charming French village. Tomorrow, is dournenez, France and the following day is another very important port for us in St Helier, jersey islands. My husband is a WWII buff and we are really looking forward to our excursion there.

• Like 1

Kjbacon, I hope your excursion in Jersey will take you to The War Tunnels( we used to call it the German Underground Hospital) in St Lawrence.
We live in Jersey, my husband was born just after The Occupation and would be very happy to answer any questions that you might have.

So very pleased that Seabourn is visiting Jersey!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you are still positive.  I hope you get to see Jersey.   I'm glad that you are reporting on the food and that it seems to generally please you.  When I had Covid, I found that I did not entirely loose my sense of smell and taste, but it was diminished. 

I've actually think that the TK fried chicken is my least favorite of the theme meals in the Colonnade and/or the Grill.   However, we live very near Kentucky and I am something of a fried chicken aficionado  (did you know Col. Sanders was actually born in Indiana?).  Do they still have the TK theme meals available in the Restaurant?  

Hoping to meet you on board (we get on in Dover).  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hoosier74 said:

Sorry to hear that you are still positive.  I hope you get to see Jersey.   I'm glad that you are reporting on the food and that it seems to generally please you.  When I had Covid, I found that I did not entirely loose my sense of smell and taste, but it was diminished. 

I've actually think that the TK fried chicken is my least favorite of the theme meals in the Colonnade and/or the Grill.   However, we live very near Kentucky and I am something of a fried chicken aficionado  (did you know Col. Sanders was actually born in Indiana?).  Do they still have the TK theme meals available in the Restaurant?  

Interested to learn the reply about the TK menus in MDR as they had already gone, on Sojourn at least,  when we last cruised in December 2019.  We wondered if they would reappear in the future. 

The TK fried chicken is my favourite in the Colonnade for the same reason it's your least favourite! We just can't get anything like it in the area we live so it's a special  treat. Especially the grits. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Interested to learn the reply about the TK menus in MDR as they had already gone, on Sojourn at least,  when we last cruised in December 2019.  We wondered if they would reappear in the future. 

The TK fried chicken is my favourite in the Colonnade for the same reason it's your least favourite! We just can't get anything like it in the area we live so it's a special  treat. Especially the grits. 

TK fried chicken is one of my absolute favorites!  Here is my trick to get it twice -- I ask the Collonade staff to save a couple of pieces and serve it to me for room service breakfast with waffles.  You can thank me later 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Just as an example of how we are all different.  I absolutely love fried chicken but never order it on a cruise--no matter how delectable.  Why?  We live about 1/2 mile from the best fried chicken in Texas--and Texas is a fried chicken state.  We love it, but confine our ordering  for  when our sons and their families come to visit.  It just isn't special enough for us to order on a cruise and probably would not measure up.  We like to try different things that we don't usually have.  My favorite all time SB meal in the MDR was was slow roasted lamb shanks.  

I'm still thinking about kjbacon's comment that the food across dining venues on Quest is all the same.  Granted, aside from the Sushi restaurant on Ovation and Encore,  none of the SB restaurants are dedicated to a particular cuisine.  We don't dine at the Colonnade very often, but I know they have Indian curry, Italian, Ribs, and other ethnic cuisines on particular nights.  I think it is because the SB ships are small and even Ovation and Encore are small compared to some of the Regent and Oceania ships in terms of numbers of guests.  I think the upshot is that you have to pick and choose what is most important to you.  For us, it's the ambience, the vibe--if you will.  We don't have broad experience (only SB and Silversea), but if the ambience is right--you will probably have a fabulous time.  Some people do prefer more choices and a bit more glitz or a more causal dress.  I get it.  I would like to try some of the other lines just to be able to compare.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Just as an example of how we are all different.  I absolutely love fried chicken but never order it on a cruise--no matter how delectable.  Why?  We live about 1/2 mile from the best fried chicken in Texas--and Texas is a fried chicken state.  We love it, but confine our ordering  for  when our sons and their families come to visit. 

Is Babe's still the chicken place?? 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Just as an example of how we are all different.  I absolutely love fried chicken but never order it on a cruise--no matter how delectable.  Why?  We live about 1/2 mile from the best fried chicken in Texas--and Texas is a fried chicken state.  We love it, but confine our ordering  for  when our sons and their families come to visit.  It just isn't special enough for us to order on a cruise and probably would not measure up.  We like to try different things that we don't usually have.  My favorite all time SB meal in the MDR was was slow roasted lamb shanks.  

I'm still thinking about kjbacon's comment that the food across dining venues on Quest is all the same.  Granted, aside from the Sushi restaurant on Ovation and Encore,  none of the SB restaurants are dedicated to a particular cuisine.  We don't dine at the Colonnade very often, but I know they have Indian curry, Italian, Ribs, and other ethnic cuisines on particular nights.  I think it is because the SB ships are small and even Ovation and Encore are small compared to some of the Regent and Oceania ships in terms of numbers of guests.  I think the upshot is that you have to pick and choose what is most important to you.  For us, it's the ambience, the vibe--if you will.  We don't have broad experience (only SB and Silversea), but if the ambience is right--you will probably have a fabulous time.  Some people do prefer more choices and a bit more glitz or a more causal dress.  I get it.  I would like to try some of the other lines just to be able to compare.  

Ok, now I am dying to know what you think is the best friend chicken in Texas!  Babes?  If you haven't tried the TK fried chicken, you really must!  I think even if you aren't eating in the Colonnade on TK chicken night, you can get a piece to try at the Restaurant.

29 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

Ok, now I am dying to know what you think is the best friend chicken in Texas!  Babes?  If you haven't tried the TK fried chicken, you really must!  I think even if you aren't eating in the Colonnade on TK chicken night, you can get a piece to try at the Restaurant.

Yes, we think Bubba's (same owner as Babe's) is the best friend chicken anywhere.  We'll try the TK chicken at your behest!

• Like 1

KJBacon, I am sure you are aware you can ask for a special meal of your choosing with 24 hour notice. You may not have much appetite but if you think of anything, ask. With any luck you can be eating it tomorrow at a different venue!

I am an RN and our final payment is due in just over a month. Your reports of your experience are concerning, especially the lack of masking in places required and by people required. The whole Covid positive person isolating and negative roaming the ship maskless makes me cringe. Does Seabourn have a written Covid policy you have been able to see? Was Paxlovid offered to you? Are you checked by a physician daily? Any details given to you regarding when you can get out of isolation,  for example no symptoms but testing positive after day 10. Sorry for so many questions, I always like to hear about issues from the person experiencing them. I am sorry it is you. Btw, I have taken a look at the  Seabourn website and their policy vague. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

In our neighborhood, it is called Bubba's--but yes, Babe's is the same owner.  

I Iived near Roanoke when Babe's came into being way back when. Never had it or TK's cuz I just don't eat fried chicken, but certainly remember its' many fans and they seem to have considerable expansion since their upstart days!

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

Was Paxlovid offered to you?

Unless anything has changed recently, other passengers have reported that the ships do not carry a stock of any Covid antivirals. Passengers isolate and do not receive regular daily check-ups from the ship's doctor, since probably they want to limit contact with contagious passengers. But if anyone is feeling more seriously ill, the medical staff is a quick phone call away. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cornet said:

Kjbacon, I hope your excursion in Jersey will take you to The War Tunnels( we used to call it the German Underground Hospital) in St Lawrence.
We live in Jersey, my husband was born just after The Occupation and would be very happy to answer any questions that you might have.

So very pleased that Seabourn is visiting Jersey!

Thank you and we may just take you up on that offer! That is the shorex we are signed up for so with a little luck, we hope to be there.

13 hours ago, hoosier74 said:

We would love to meet you on board! We are both very relieved to have no issues with our senses of taste and smell. I will take the bad cough I had over that any day of the week. I don’t think the restaurant has TK themed meals. We have only been there once but I do read the menus daily and I’ve only seen the themed nights in the Collonade.

5 hours ago, travelwell said:

KJBacon, I am sure you are aware you can ask for a special meal of your choosing with 24 hour notice. You may not have much appetite but if you think of anything, ask. With any luck you can be eating it tomorrow at a different venue!

I am an RN and our final payment is due in just over a month. Your reports of your experience are concerning, especially the lack of masking in places required and by people required. The whole Covid positive person isolating and negative roaming the ship maskless makes me cringe. Does Seabourn have a written Covid policy you have been able to see? Was Paxlovid offered to you? Are you checked by a physician daily? Any details given to you regarding when you can get out of isolation,  for example no symptoms but testing positive after day 10. Sorry for so many questions, I always like to hear about issues from the person experiencing them. I am sorry it is you. Btw, I have taken a look at the  Seabourn website and their policy vague. 

Yes, I did know about the meal requests and we have considered it but not done it yet.

I will try my best to answer your Covid questions and will open by saying that I do think SB is not as effective as they should be. I have not seen a written policy. No antiviral drugs were mentioned. We have had a daily phone call. Yes, we have had it explained to us that we will be released in 10 days if we aren’t released before with a negative test.

We do hope to be released today!!

• Like 2

We had a very long day yesterday as the captivity is getting old! Our view was unpleasant too so sitting and enjoying the balcony was not a great option for us.

Dinner last night from the Collonade was French themed and very good. We both ordered all of the same dishes that we enjoyed with our St Emilion Bordeaux, nice! We started with Foie Gras pâte and French onion soup.

C31681DD-A556-4F13-AA3C-E66F715FFAFD.thumb.jpeg.a24fdb236543fc5e701c160d7253abee.jpeg

80760526-0E78-401E-B362-37DC94913FE5.thumb.jpeg.3d6f908bb8438cd293008e436ee577a4.jpeg

The scallions were too much for the pate but it was still good. We had the chateaubriand for our main course and the crème brûle for dessert, both were very good.

49FD2F67-9CB2-42AD-886C-3348AAC46070.thumb.jpeg.49e85abdbcff148d7ffe5c6662a2a918.jpeg

A4519AE3-5F6A-4E8F-B14A-0DF39D1EDC72.thumb.jpeg.b53df8ec5c4604e78aa34d714f22aba0.jpeg

As has often been the case, the veggies were perfectly steamed and still crisp.

I have to give another shout out to the room service crew who has taken such good care of us while we have been in the brig. Hopefully, I’m not getting too far ahead of myself but we are determined to test negative and get sprung this morning!!!

• Like 10

travelwell,

We also will be sailing in a month. However, I have read that the

cruise lines are moving towards no longer requiring pre boarding

antigen testing. (i think they named one line but I don’t recall the

name.) This opens another can of worms, if accurate.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed that these very good sailors test negative today.

I hope to hear that you are free. I am glad room service has been good. Food photos wonderful. Are you given linens to change out yourselves? Cleaning supplies? I should have clarified, I did not expect the physician to visibly check you daily but to touch bases. Glad that is happening.

13 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Unless anything has changed recently, other passengers have reported that the ships do not carry a stock of any Covid antivirals. Passengers isolate and do not receive regular daily check-ups from the ship's doctor, since probably they want to limit contact with contagious passengers. But if anyone is feeling more seriously ill, the medical staff is a quick phone call away. 

i have seen on another social media sight that on Regent a Covid positive passenger was offered Paxlovid and accepted. This drug is not without side effects and it is contraindicated if you are on some medications. If you can take it, it has been shown to shorten the course of Covid. As many know about  5% get a rebound Covid infection ( think Joe Biden). This seems to be a drug that would be worthwhile having on board for passengers and crew. Glad to hear at least one line has it. This would put pressure on the other lines.

30 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

travelwell,

I am also reading cruise lines doing away with Covid testing pre boarding. We are going to NZ and Australia in February. I expect we will be required to test prior to entering those countries. As I am heavily involved with 88 and 96 year old parents we test all the time and not a big deal to me. 

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

travelwell,

We are also sailing next month.  We've never caught the virus because we've been careful, rarely socialise, never use public transport and live in a remote rural area.  Where we live it has become difficult to find somewhere offering an antigen test -  no local pharmacy does it because they say there is no longer any demand.  We have found one, about 40-miles away, at a local airport - but I am very hopeful Seabourn will drop this requirement.  It makes total sense to me - after you test negative you have to visit an airport, sit on a plane, go on a bus, board a cruise ship, mingle with other passengers, eat with strangers, go on excursions etc.  A bit counter-intuitive if you ask me.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

We are also sailing next month.  We've never caught the virus because we've been careful, rarely socialise, never use public transport and live in a remote rural area.  Where we live it has become difficult to find somewhere offering an antigen test -  no local pharmacy does it because they say there is no longer any demand.  We have found one, about 40-miles away, at a local airport - but I am very hopeful Seabourn will drop this requirement.  It makes total sense to me - after you test negative you have to visit an airport, sit on a plane, go on a bus, board a cruise ship, mingle with other passengers, eat with strangers, go on excursions etc.  A bit counter-intuitive if you ask me.  

After just testing this morning for a cruise that begins Friday, it seems silly to me as we will be in three airports, two planes, transport from airport to hotel and to port, hotel, and where ever else we go prior to going to the port. Oh well, it was easy enough for us, but I know it is not for many others. 

• Like 1

Tjcox - are you sailing from Dover?  We are also and, right now, are sitting in Philadelphia Airport waiting for our flight to London.  We live in Sun City, in BLuffton.  Where do you live in SC?

On 8/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, SDuckers said:

TK fried chicken is one of my absolute favorites!  Here is my trick to get it twice -- I ask the Collonade staff to save a couple of pieces and serve it to me for room service breakfast with waffles.  You can thank me later 🙂

Yuk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1