Oceania Ends COVID Testing Requirement - except where required

Host Jazzbeau

22 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

So if the CDC has ended their cruise line restrictions, what US embarkation ports require you to have a test now to cruise and under what authority??

Any that would be going to Canada or Bermuda. 

43 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

So if the CDC has ended their cruise line restrictions, what US embarkation ports require you to have a test now to cruise and under what authority??

Any US port.  CDC isn't requiring this but O is.  So to answer your question it's under O's authority.

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Any that would be going to Canada or Bermuda. 

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

That makes sense . Thanks.

No, @ORVis wrong. 

@davenclis right:

42 minutes ago, davencl said:

Any US port.  CDC isn't requiring this but O is.  So to answer your question it's under O's authority.

Here are O's rules:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

FOR SAILINGS EMBARKING ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1, 2022, Oceania Cruises will no longer require guests to produce a negative covid test to embark their cruise, subject to local regulations.

Please Note: Voyages embarking from the United States, Canada and Greece as well as those sailing to Bermuda, will still require a negative covid test at embarkation, until further notice.

Needless to say all of this could change on a moment's notice.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, @ORVis wrong. 

@davenclis right:

Here are O's rules:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

FOR SAILINGS EMBARKING ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1, 2022, Oceania Cruises will no longer require guests to produce a negative covid test to embark their cruise, subject to local regulations.

Please Note: Voyages embarking from the United States, Canada and Greece as well as those sailing to Bermuda, will still require a negative covid test at embarkation, until further notice.

Needless to say all of this could change on a moment's notice.

Hope not.

Oceania continues to have conflicting protocols on its website.  If you look in the "Additional Pre-Embarkation Health Screening" section it states that for cruises departing from U.S. ports after Aug. 1 and until further notice notice a pre-cruise Covid test is required.  However, if you look in the SailSAFE FAQ's, it states that after Aug. 1 pre-cruise testing is only required for cruises that have a destination that requires a Covid test like Canada, Bermuda, and Greece.

Apparently no one at Oceania proofreads what appears on its website for consistency.  Although I enjoy cruising on Oceania, it's ability to communicate clearly leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a horse in this race as I am booked on the Sept. 9 Regatta cruise which is Oceania's first cruise from a U.S. port after Aug. 1 that will not be visiting Canada.  So, I wish Oceania would get its act together and let us know which is the real/correct protocol.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Oceania continues to have conflicting protocols on its website.  If you look in the "Additional Pre-Embarkation Health Screening" section it states that for cruises departing from U.S. ports after Aug. 1 and until further notice notice a pre-cruise Covid test is required.  However, if you look in the SailSAFE FAQ's, it states that after Aug. 1 pre-cruise testing is only required for cruises that have a destination that requires a Covid test like Canada, Bermuda, and Greece.

Apparently no one at Oceania proofreads what appears on its website for consistency.  Although I enjoy cruising on Oceania, it's ability to communicate clearly leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a horse in this race as I am booked on the Sept. 9 Regatta cruise which is Oceania's first cruise from a U.S. port after Aug. 1 that will not be visiting Canada.  So, I wish Oceania would get its act together and let us know which is the real/correct protocol.

We are on the same cruise.....we have 2 of the proctored home test on hand which we can take with us if needed.  I suspect that there will be a much clearer picture in a month....

3 hours ago, lj77346 said:

Oceania has their act together you dont have yours together, a letter was sent from O posted earlier in this thread from Carlos Ortega that you must have a test if leaving from the US..its very clear you will need a test at this time Unless that changes before September 9

This is a boring subject since you will not just accept the current rules..We are beating a dead horse!!!

In not usually impatient but you are getting correct info here1! Accept it as gospel for today!!

Jancruz1

• Like 3

I've been on 5 Oceania cruises since cruising resumed and am more than happy to meet their protocols.  I'm vaxed, boostered, and am in the minority of passengers who wear masks on a ship.  I have no problem with being required to take Covid tests (when I'm working I get tested twice a week). 

However, in the FAQ's for the health and safety section, the following is on the website -

T E S T I N G PR I O R TO T R AV E L A N D E M B A R K AT I O N
NOTE: For voyages embarking from August 1, 2022, mandatory embarkation testing requirements will no longer be in place, unless specifically required by a destination, such as CANADA or GREECE. All voyages departing from Canada and Greece along with any voyages calling in Bermuda will still be subject to mandatory testing prior to embarkation.

All I ask is that Oceania be consistent in what they post on its website.  If there was consistency, this endless discussion on protocols would be unnecessary.  As has been mentioned in numerous threads, if a topic tries someone's patience, don't read it. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

I've been on 5 Oceania cruises since cruising resumed and am more than happy to meet their protocols.  I'm vaxed, boostered, and am in the minority of passengers who wear masks on a ship.  I have no problem with being required to take Covid tests (when I'm working I get tested twice a week). 

However, in the FAQ's for the health and safety section, the following is on the website -

NOTE: For voyages embarking from August 1, 2022, mandatory embarkation testing requirements will no longer be in place, unless specifically required by a destination, such as CANADA or GREECE. All voyages departing from Canada and Greece along with any voyages calling in Bermuda will still be subject to mandatory testing prior to embarkation.

All I ask is that Oceania be consistent in what they post on its website.  If there was consistency, this endless discussion on protocols would be unnecessary.  As has been mentioned in numerous threads, if a topic tries someone's patience, don't read it. 

@Jancruzis correct. Oceania is consistent:  This intro paragraph you quote says " such as," and in subsequent paragraphs the FAQs become specific to regions.  One refers specifically to the US:

FOR SAILINGS EMBARKING FROM U.S. PORTS: Oceania Cruises will require that all guests arrive at the embarkation terminal with a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a third-party verified laboratory or pharmacy, taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal. All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation in a digital or printed format. Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark for the voyage. Test result documentation must be provided in English and must include the following information:

The Safe Sail section states:

ADDITIONAL PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING

Looks quite consistent if you read beyond the first paragraph of the FAQs, which is only an introduction to the detail that follows.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, lj77346 said:

48 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

@Jancruzis correct. Oceania is consistent:  This intro paragraph you quote says " such as," and in subsequent paragraphs the FAQs become specific to regions.  One refers specifically to the US:

FOR SAILINGS EMBARKING FROM U.S. PORTS: Oceania Cruises will require that all guests arrive at the embarkation terminal with a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a third-party verified laboratory or pharmacy, taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal. All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation in a digital or printed format. Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark for the voyage. Test result documentation must be provided in English and must include the following information:

The Safe Sail section states:

Looks quite consistent if you read beyond the first paragraph of the FAQs, which is only an introduction to the detail that follows.

But you are correct that the FAQs could be clearer and that one could interpret the FAQs as not including the US in the countries for which O will still require pre-cruise tests, since the details section only refers pre July 31 cruises. I simply read that Canada and Greece are examples of countries that still require them, especially since another line published a complete list of countries that still require them  and it includes the US.  But the most recent complete O document is the Sail Safe one with the FAQs being an amended July 5 version.  I tend to go with the most recent one, since everything is changing weekly.

Edited by 1985rz1

As Lyn has pointed out, Oceania has a long history of poor customer communications. Proof reading of executive communications is also considered optional with them.

I see this as no different than with all the DIYers calling 1-800 and getting multiple answers to the same question. 

It is what is it is. 

Hopefully one knows a week before the actual cruise. Until then, have a drink and chill. Most people enjoy the food! 🥂

• Like 5

There are two documents, the sail safe one sail-safe-program.pdf (oceaniacruises.com)

And this one you have to click on further in the page where is says Additional Prembarkation Health Screening. Apparently the Sail Safe one has not been updated yet. This is probably what is causing a bit of confusion for people. 

• Like 1

What is confusing, and further proof of lack of editing skills or proofreading, is that our check-in document says a negative test is required (in our case the cruise is EU but not Greece) whereas the general rule says the contrary!

• Like 1

We are doing a b2b starting in London on October 1 and then continuing again from London on October 11.  The 2nd segment makes a call in Bermuda 35 days after embarkation but I’m not sure if we are considered embarking on October 1 or 11. When we called O to ask, the phone rep said they might do it on-board but we all know how reliable their information is!  If it is October 11, will there be a test given at the pier or somewhere else close by?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, Billie

On 7/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, Aloha 1 said:

under what authority? They don't have to have a third parties' authority.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Yes they do since it's considered Federal commerce.

No they don't . If they wish to impose testing requirements, the govt cannot make then take passengers who are not tested.  Also, are you talking about the Federal Maritime Commission.  The extent of their power is to try and assist passengers with certain types of issues.  No real power there. The US Coast Guard cares only about safety benchmarks.  There is no Federal commerce because ships operating under Non-US flags do not travel between us ports direct for the purpose of travel just between those two US ports. There have to be foreign ports on the itinerary.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, elbowroom said:

What is confusing, and further proof of lack of editing skills or proofreading, is that our check-in document says a negative test is required (in our case the cruise is EU but not Greece) whereas the general rule says the contrary!

We’re in the same situation. We spend five days in Barcelona before the cruise on Aug 18, so I’m trying to figure out if I need to arrange for testing in Barcelona or not.

21 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

No they don't . If they wish to impose testing requirements, the govt cannot make then take passengers who are not tested.  Also, are you talking about the Federal Maritime Commission.  The extent of their power is to try and assist passengers with certain types of issues.  No real power there. The US Coast Guard cares only about safety benchmarks.  There is no Federal commerce because ships operating under Non-US flags do not travel between us ports direct for the purpose of travel just between those two US ports. There have to be foreign ports on the itinerary.

Interstate commerce since people travel to the disembarkation port from other states.

15 hours ago, Traveller94 said:

We’re in the same situation. We spend five days in Barcelona before the cruise on Aug 18, so I’m trying to figure out if I need to arrange for testing in Barcelona or not.

Not at the moment. I will be boarding a NCL ship in Stockholm Aug. 16 and I don't need a covid test. You don't need a covid test to board in Barcelona.

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Not at the moment. I will be boarding a NCL ship in Stockholm Aug. 16 and I don't need a covid test. You don't need a covid test to board in Barcelona.

Thanks for confirming. My travel agent called Oceania this morning and was told we were just supposed to ignore the testing requirement listed on our boarding passes.