Alaska Glaciers Cruise - the cruise skipped the glacier

On 7/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, EdandMary said:

1. Think about if it were you that needed the emergency care.

I would want them to send a helicopter or boat which would get me to medical attention dramatically faster than a massive cruise ship.

That is if it was important enough to have the whole ship stop what they were doing based on my medical situation.

15 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

I would want them to send a helicopter or boat which would get me to medical attention dramatically faster than a massive cruise ship.

That is if it was important enough to have the whole ship stop what they were doing based on my medical situation.

If you would read the posts by myself (46 years as a ship's officer) and Aquahound (a USCG Investigator) you would know why they would not send a small boat or helicopter, but would instead take you there as fast as possible, with the best care available (the ship's medical center, and not a paramedic struggling to keep you alive in a cramped helicopter with limited assets), and with the least risk to you.  Have you ever been in a small boat in the ocean doing 20 knots (23 mph)?  And, no small boat is going to  do more than 20 knots in the open ocean.  Which would be more comfortable for you as a patient, that small boat pounding into the waves, or the massive cruise ship also doing 20 knots?   How far did the helicopter have to travel from its base (a USCG station, not the nearest airport) to the ship, and how long did that take?  How long did it take for the Captain to slow and steer the ship to its most stable condition for the helicopter lift?  How long did it take the helicopter to advance in a moving hover to where it can lower the rescue diver and basket?  How long did it take to winch the patient and the diver back into the helicopter?  How long did it take to reach the nearest hospital, from the ship?  Did you take all of these into consideration when you claimed that the helicopter (I won't even touch the boat idea, you'd be dropped in the ocean for sure) would get you to medical attention faster than the cruise ship?  Because I can guarantee you that the ship's Doctor, the Captain, the USCG flight surgeon, and the USCG flight crew all did before making the decision to have the ship divert.

Oh, and by the way, you might want to review the posts from those of us with actual experience in these matters, which state that it is not the cruise line's decision, it is the USCG.  So, if you are going to complain that someone is telling you that they can do anything, and just shut up, complain to the USCG.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Folks who actually know what they are talking about beg to differ.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Oh, and by the way, you might want to review the posts from those of us with actual experience in these matters, which state that it is not the cruise line's decision, it is the USCG.

Where did I say it was the ships choice? Also where did I say I was correct or had superior knowledge? I was stating my view on if I were in that situation or someone I cared about.

Maybe I am different though because I have had a medical situation where two medical professionals ended up with different conclusions and the "normal" way things worked caused big issues.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

Folks who actually know what they are talking about beg to differ.

Thats fine they can likely be correct.

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

Where did I say it was the ships choice? Also where did I say I was correct or had superior knowledge? I was stating my view on if I were in that situation or someone I cared about.

Maybe I am different though because I have had a medical situation where two medical professionals ended up with different conclusions and the "normal" way things worked caused big issues.

Thats fine they can likely be correct.

Posts like the response given is the reason people just stop posting.  How nasty and condescending they were, but dont let them bully you.  We see them for what they are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

????

Are you talking about June 2022?

We were also on a seven day cruise, Vancouver to Seward that left June 24.  Weather were warm, sunny and clear. According to crew on board ship and locals in the ports, it had been the same weather pattern they had been experiencing for most of June.

Visibility at time was for miles (could see a snow topped mountain range 66 miles to our north in Juneau and down the pass from White Pass summit to Skagway port).

It definitely was not the Alaskan weather I packed for and expected.

I was on a Vancouver to Whittier that left June 22nd.  Weren't we lucky?  We were also told that it had been really nice but many of the crew commented on how lucky we were because it was rainy and cold for the entire week before us.  So, I suppose that's the weather rodiond got.  

On 7/23/2022 at 7:15 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Somehow in the US cruise lines get away with saying that if the embarkation and disembarkation ports don't change, and they offer you the agreed-upon number of days, they are doing all that they "guaranteed" you.

You kind of hit the nail on the head here. The EU has much stronger consumer protection laws than the U.S. ever will, and it doesn't really help that the "U.S." cruise lines aren't really "U.S." cruise lines at all- with many of them being flagged under the Bahamas

That, plus the cruise contract we sign when we purchase is written 200% in favor of the cruise line.

35 minutes ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

I was on a Vancouver to Whittier that left June 22nd.  Weren't we lucky?  We were also told that it had been really nice but many of the crew commented on how lucky we were because it was rainy and cold for the entire week before us.  So, I suppose that's the weather rodiond got.  

People were taking excursions in shorts and tank tops. I had packed sweaters and long pants. At least I didn't need my sweatshirt.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, rodiond said:

The ship and the crew was great, the entertainment were and food also very good - no complains here. Unfortunately we got unlucky with the weather - it was rainy, cold, and foggy all the way (end of June). I was expecting to see mountains, icebergs, and snow for the duration of the cruise but I guess my expectations were too high 🙂 

Sorry for your first cruise it wasn't everything you had hoped.      It wouldn't stop me from cruising.     Sure we have had itinerary changes for different reasons.   Just like anything in life you need to be flexible and realize it is not in your control and the cruise lines have to change course for medical emergencies and weather.      Maybe Book a nice tropical cruise (not in hurricane season 😁) and see what you think after visiting some islands.

Also, you mention you had some crappy weather that could very well be the reason the coast guard did not fly a chopper to pick up the injured person.      I have only seen 2 helicopter evacuations in my years of cruising and is not an easy task to perform on a crystal clear day.

Edited by Sunshine3601

We were on this cruise and equally disappointed in the fact we missed getting to go see the glaciers. 

In a nutshell 4800 passengers were inconvenienced due to the immaturity of one teenager. 

My wife and I are both glad that the ship got him the help he needed but it doesn't change the fact that we were disappointed in the situation. 

As an FYiI we did go to Mendenhall as we had originally planned and it is nothing like the pictures our friends took on the previous cruise touring the Endicott Arm. We enjoyed it and learned a lot but it was not a substitute for missing a vital part of the cruise which is the viewing of glaciers from the ship. 

Royal definitely could have communicated better also  as the Juneau gangway earlier opening was not broadcast to the staterooms and we missed at least one hour in port due to their lack of good communication. 

Would $100 or a few free drinks have improved our frustration over the itinerary change? Probably not However a small token from Royal letting us know as passengers they were sorry for us missing out on something they know all of us were looking forward to would have been nice. 

On 7/24/2022 at 4:10 AM, rodiond said:

Thanks a lot for all the responses.

Just to clarify, I don't "complain" about diverting the ship for medical emergency - it's totally understandable. It's more about the companies handling of the situation.

Also, since it's my first cruise, I was a little surprised that a medical emergency creates a force majeure type of situation. I would assume that medical emergencies happen quite often on cruises (especially given how drunk everyone is) and they should be planned for.

But if what you are saying is true, this was not a drunk, it was a true medical emergency.  If this were you or a loved one, I'm thinking (hoping) you'd be singing a different tune, rather than looking for a few bucks compensation.   

I think its natural to feel frustrated and upset in this type of situation. Not sure why so many’s peoples attitude is they shouldn’t feel this way. If i wasn’t able to go to glacier bay on the cruise i was on i would have been upset. People who have been on multiple cruises forget what its like to be on your first cruise.

40 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I think its natural to feel frustrated and upset in this type of situation. Not sure why so many’s peoples attitude is they shouldn’t feel this way. If i wasn’t able to go to glacier bay on the cruise i was on i would have been upset. People who have been on multiple cruises forget what its like to be on your first cruise.

I think you’ll find that the comments aren’t meant to say “don’t feel that way.” Rather, as is the case with so much else about cruising: it’s just amazing how many folks don’t read the T&Cs and Ticket Contract and then are surprised when normal occurrences like itinerary changes occur. And that is followed by unwarranted upset and second guessing safety/security/public health policies and procedures with which they have zero familiarity.