Cruising Alaska in Late September

DCThunder

2016, second week of September.  It snowed in the Yukon and followed us down the mountains back into Skagway.  We about froze in Glacier Bay.  I wore three pairs of everything that day, couldn't fit in a booth at lunch without taking several layers off.  I loved every minute of it.!

• Like 4

Our first cruise in 2018 was to Alaska in mid-September.  It was overcast, rainy, and cold the whole trip.

We could not use our balcony because of the rain/cold.  The good part was it was not crowded.

In spite of the weather, it was our most memorable cruise.  We slowly cruised through a pod of 30+ whales who were feeding on a school of fish.  If you go, be prepared for poor weather and hope for sunshine.

JMO, but the best part of visiting Alaska in September is that THE SALMON ARE RUNNING!!!  Out at the Mendenhall Visitors Center they have a platform over Steep Creek where you can watch the bears fishing.  In Sitka, if you walk through the beautiful forest (Sitka National Historical Park) there are bridges over the Indian River where you can also see them running and spawning.

• Like 1

I think you just have to be prepared. We cruised in September 2018 and had good weather the whole trip. We're cruising to Alaska again this September. Pack layers. Sailing near the Margarie Glacier was our coldest moment of our previous cruise.

We have sailed to Alaska in early June and late September. We were lucky to have reasonable weather both times, apart from heavy rain in Juneau in June. We actually preferred the early June sailing as there was still snow around, particularly on the White Pass train trip. Also the approaches to Glacier Bay, as I remember were all snow covered in June. On the September trip I did not think the scenery was as atmospheric, and somehow not as beautiful. Although Glacier Bay at any time of the year is just amazing. One advantage of going in late September is there are a lot of bargains to be had in the shops. We bought some beautiful local greeting cards in Juneau and Ketchikan. 

Having said all this however, I would happily jump at the chance to go back to Alaska at any time of the year! 

Thanks to everyone who has replied.  I just booked Nieuw Amsterdam form Sept. 25-Oct. 2.  Last HAL cruise to Alaska for the season, I believe.  Unfortunately, I can't stay on to go to FLL...  ☹️

• Like 4

You'll have a great time @DCThunder.

We have taken three September AK cruises.  The last one was a 14-day roundtripper that departed from Los Angeles on September 19, 2019.  

I would say that for the most part we encountered cool weather.  The only days that were really cold were sea days, and, even then, I was not uncomfortable taking my daily walk on the promenade deck wearing a jacket that I bought at Costco for about $40.  Weather at most of the port stops was pretty mild, although, drizzle is not uncommon.  Incredibly, on one visit to Ketchikan,  in the middle of a rain forest,  it was sunny and quite warm--in the 80s.

As many have stated, however, past performance does not necessarily forecast the future.  Count on encountering some rain and, possibly, fog.  Typically, the rain is no big deal.  As I indicated, our experience has been drizzle in the ports.  Nothing that prevented us from enjoying ourselves.  The only time we encountered a big storm on an AK cruise was while crossing the Gulf of Alaska on a southbound itinerary.  It was awesome.  It was also in August.

As another poster has indicated, many of the stores at the ports are trying to clear out inventory.  So, if you need to buy a fleece, you may stumble into a good deal,  I walked off the ship in Skagway without a hat to keep my baldy head warm.  I really did not want to board the ship and walk to our cabin to retrieve my hat,  In the first touristy souvenir type store, I found a baseball cap for $2.

😁

10 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Thanks to everyone who has replied.  I just booked Nieuw Amsterdam form Sept. 25-Oct. 2.  Last HAL cruise to Alaska for the season, I believe.  Unfortunately, I can't stay on to go to FLL...  ☹️

Hey there @DCThunder!  I'll be on board with you.  This was actually not a planned trip but I'm going on the Vancouver to FLL cruise and the cabin I'm booked in "just happened" to be available for Alaska, so, why not???  It does present a bit of packing challenge to go from Glacier Bay to Panama to Florida, but layering will be the solution!  I see you just posted on the roll call so I hope maybe the small contingent of CCers can meet up somewhere at the beginning to say hi.  

~Nancy

• Like 2

Weather in Alaska is so random that I will just prepare for anything.  The only real disadvantage for me is that by the end of September the sun sets so much earlier than June/July.  Sunset times in Skagway to Ketchikan will be around 6:30pm - 6:45pm the week we will be there.

~Nancy

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hey there @DCThunder!  I'll be on board with you.  This was actually not a planned trip but I'm going on the Vancouver to FLL cruise and the cabin I'm booked in "just happened" to be available for Alaska, so, why not???  It does present a bit of packing challenge to go from Glacier Bay to Panama to Florida, but layering will be the solution!  I see you just posted on the roll call so I hope maybe the small contingent of CCers can meet up somewhere at the beginning to say hi.  

~Nancy

Yay , and welcome aboard to the cold leg of our Fire and Ice cruise on the NA in Fall of 2022 and thank you for linking the two of them together . Only 2 months to go . 🦥 🐧

28 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

BTW:   September is great for Glacier Bay!  Ships get permission to go past Jaw Point at Johns Hopkins Glacier and you get a much better viewing of the glacier and seals on the ice flows.  

Good to know. We did a Seattle RT (including Glacier Bay) at the end of May, and I thought it was a great time (the greenery at low elevation with the snow still on the mountains), but I was thinking about going back and doing a one-way southbound in September in a few years to see the interior and Hubbard Glacier.

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

Good to know. We did a Seattle RT (including Glacier Bay) at the end of May, and I thought it was a great time (the greenery at low elevation with the snow still on the mountains), but I was thinking about going back and doing a one-way southbound in September in a few years to see the interior and Hubbard Glacier.

May was a fantastic time this year, with snow right down to the ocean in places! Most snow for many years apparently. Glad you saw some greenery, the best of both.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

One notable thing about late September. You have a chance (def not guaranteed) to see the Northern Lights. You have practically zero chance in June-August.

That would be the cherry on top if the Northern Lights made an appearance!  I'll google to check on the NL probability during that time. 

Thanks for mentioning that @vicd1969!

~Nancy

On 7/26/2022 at 9:07 PM, oakridger said:

It does present a bit of packing challenge to go from Glacier Bay to Panama to Florida, but layering will be the solution! 

Hi Nancy!

May I suggest 32degrees.com for both short/no sleeved and LS shirts. I have just ordered the remaining 3 colors of WOMEN'S AIR MESH LONG SLEEVE T-SHIRT. In the heat they are wicking and breathable and I believe in the chill they will be a fine undershirt even though they are sold as 32^COOL (not 32^HEAT). There are other companies like this (Arctic Cool is one) but 32degrees.com seems to be in permanent clearance mode!