Skagway AK Landslide possibility causes itinerary "adjustments"...

D. B.

5 minutes ago, LovetheSea said:

We got an email from Princess last night. Our Aug 14th sailing on the Discovery Princess will still stop in Skagway and tender in.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.  Since we use a TA our news goes from Princess to our TA who in turns sends it to us.  Now, I can put that question to rest.

1 hour ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

We just received an email that Royal southbound will replace Skagway on August 16 with Haines?

That's a new one on us.  Tender port or dock?  And what is there to do there?

There is a dock, so if there is no other ship there, you should not have to tender.

The best option in Haines is the Kroschel Wildlife Center. You can book this through the ship, however, we rented a car for the day, went to the Kroschel wildlife Center, Chilkat & Chilkoot State Parks and drove the Haines Hwy to the border. The cost was not much more than the ship was charging for one person to go to Kroschel. 

You can also usually do excursions to Skagway, using the fast ferry. I would probably book anything going to Skagway through the ship, just to ensure the ship will wait for you if there is a delay in getting back

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

That was posted by The Skagway News on their FB page.  The only other public info is here and hasn't been updated since June 30th.  On your sailing it is likely that you'll either be at RRA (and tender) or move to the open ORE dock.  There's only 3 ships in port so they can do some maneuvering, as long as RRA remains viable!

Thanks, so much, for the new resource of docking news.  Hope Skagway News is correct info on BRD dock, but at least we are still going to Skagway in one form or the other

14 minutes ago, TAMU Dad said:

Thanks, so much, for the new resource of docking news.  Hope Skagway News is correct info on BRD dock, but at least we are still going to Skagway in one form or the other

Skagway News only published the docks for cruise through August 14th and your cruise is August 17th so my response related to the schedule for the date you would actually be in Skagway.  And yes, it does appear that either way you SHOULD make it.

The tender lines were huge.   But went fast. 
we borrowed 2 lifeboats from a holland america    And used 3 of our own.    
Having issues post pics.   Sorry gonna have to wait till back on land.   

also tried to stay aboard for another week.   They are sold out.   

B027B3E4-7B89-4DB1-8A06-7CF3F7178595.jpeg

8AA85208-E697-4F87-AB77-6C0A04EC6F28.jpeg

593F5B10-876E-40B3-B96A-F44A01405DBB.jpeg

2B9FC234-F8E1-492C-87CB-A46D6F27A318.jpeg

E96C5045-2F1A-4505-A21F-8A449B398F2A.jpeg

E23CC81C-F407-4605-A482-072737104941.jpeg

61703694-7DC1-4F3C-8063-B51A49AA524A.jpeg

D31BD417-3E70-4006-BDC3-270D773400E6.jpeg

1C975181-230D-41CF-9047-299591CB2409.jpeg

C5A06A99-1BED-44A7-B582-6CFD88FA57E9.jpeg

F1B00E98-0C89-4453-BE64-B2E1C6506B38.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, sergeant655 said:

It was announced after the safety briefing today that Royal will be visiting Skagway after all as space became available. Royal will be parking at Railroad dock aft and using the tender service .

Did u interpret that Royal will be there thru the end of the season.  If the rest of season, then 1 of the other three ships must have had to take a ship out of service or is changing port of call.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, nattie said:

We are on Discovery boarding this Sunday (YAY!) and have received notification over the weekend that we are rerouted to Sitka instead of Skagway. They already have posted the excursions available on Personalizer and there are some decently good ones available. 

Can you share the port times for Sitka for planning purposes?  TIA

11 hours ago, sergeant655 said:

It was announced after the safety briefing today that Royal will be visiting Skagway after all as space became available. Royal will be parking at Railroad dock aft and using the tender service .

Very interesting.  I just checked the port schedule and 4 ships are supposed to be in port with the Royal at the closed dock.  Hope you report back to let us know which ships are in port as it does seem like another ship cancelled their port stop in Skagway for this to happen.

I have walked through that Shipping Container hallway many times (Twice this year) and always wondered what it would be like IF a Big Rock hit it.

Now I know. 

I will be back at Skagway (I Hope) again on Royal August 24th. and August 30th.

I can see that even if a ship is docked at the Aft RR pier it's safer to use tenders from the Outside of the ship to avoid any chance of a rockslide on the Pier side.

• Like 3

Just got off the Majestic. Our Skagway stop was replaced with Sitka. Free shuttles run every 20 minutes or so from port into city visitor center. Lovely little historic town and very walkable.  Russian church and Lutheran one across the street hav3 interesting stories, you can walk to the spot where papers were signed when US bought Alaska from Russia, nice shops to visit, we’ll stocked pharmacy/drug store on  Main Street if you need anything, kayack excursions available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

I really do not like tendering. I wish we were going to Sitka instead 😞 

Do you not like it because of the small boat or the overall delay?  Sitka's pier is about a 15 minute bus ride outside of town so although sitka finally built a cruise pier a few years back, during most times, it takes the same amount of time to actually get to downtown as the old tender ride required.  If you are on a tour leaving from the dock then there is a net time savings I suppose.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

I really do not like tendering. I wish we were going to Sitka instead 😞 

I also hate to tender. But with the open air roof top of the tenders made for a nice ride tot he docks.    
think the Holland tenders that we borrowed didn’t have this option.  Or I might have it backwards. Lol.  

CD8B83AB-8628-4D0E-9E2F-C5A433C16200.jpeg

6BE6AF71-785D-40D7-B8B8-E3D284301779.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, FLcruiser2011 said:

We just received an email that Royal southbound will replace Skagway on August 16 with Haines?

That's a new one on us.  Tender port or dock?  And what is there to do there?

You traded up!  I love Haines, while I can't stand either Skagway or ISP. When there were ships stopping regularly in Haines, you could take some great tours. One goes into Canada which has a great up-close view of the mountains. A couple of others take you to a lake where grizzlies are munching on salmon in several different spots. You can take a canoe trip on the lake or just chill. Steve Kroshel has an animal farm there that's great, I've done that 3 times. He's an amazing host. He and his partner Mario are former National Geographic photographers.  Diamonds International? No.

https://www.kroschelfilms.com/

You may be able to dock there, their dock was expanded to be able to handle a HAL Vista-class ship, then HAL pulled out.

• Like 2

Grand Princess docked at Skagway 8/7 at BRD(broadway) dock, should foretell nothbound cruises will continue here for rest of season.  Same 3 ships on Sundays till season end.  Somebody twisted the arm of the smaller Silver Shadow ship to give way to Grand and they must tender instead.

I heard there was a third slide above  the dock below the mountain. Friday! I don't know how safe I feel tying up to that dock at all! I don't live far from where we had a devastating slide in Oso Washington The whole side of a mountain came down with no warning.  Killng many people and destroying homes .

16 minutes ago, LovetheSea said:

I heard there was a third slide above  the dock below the mountain. Friday! I don't know how safe I feel tying up to that dock at all! I don't live far from where we had a devastating slide in Oso Washington The whole side of a mountain came down with no warning.  Killng many people and destroying homes .

Your not docked that close to the slide area and you have a big ship to take the brunt of the slide if anything happens.  Lol 

never felt worried at all.  And they had a small slide Thursday when I was there.  

EEB28F6A-6CB6-48C2-94B5-36746067F5FC.jpeg

Edited by Ptroxx