Skagway AK Landslide possibility causes itinerary "adjustments"...

D. B.

Princess has made some changes to its scheduled port calls in Skagway for Some upcoming cruises. Due to the continuing possibility of a major rockslide at the White Pass railway Pier. That pier is where most of the larger cruise Ships dock. The near vertical cliff almost 600 Feet tall right next to the pier has been shedding rocks and earth for Years but a recent study says the possibility of a Major fall is greater than in the past.

Last month a small slide damaged the pier, and some debris actually struck a ship docked there at that time. 

Because the pier is the Longest at Skagway it is used by the larger ships. Smaller ships will use the other piers there.

I will be on Royal Princess that is scheduled to stop at Skagway going North (August 24th.) and South (August 30th.) and our itinerary will most likely be changed.

Some cruises are using Icy Straight Point as an alternative stop. It is an interesting port but offers few Excursions compared to Skagway.

• Thanks 1

We’re also on the Royal southbound with you. I have been monitoring this to see if they are going to change the itinerary.  On the cruise personalizer, it shows port substitution of Icy Straight Point, but doesn’t elaborate which port they are replacing. See image: 

16F950F8-8455-461D-8F5B-25019CD2A154.jpeg

From Alaska Public Media:  Skagway’s busiest cruise ship dock at risk of catastrophic rockslide, study says  (https://alaskapublic.org/2022/07/25/skagways-busiest-cruise-ship-dock-at-risk-of-catastrophic-rockslide-study-says/)

A new report compiled by geotechnical engineers shows that Skagway’s busiest cruise ship dock is at significant risk for rockslides impacting the dock, moored ships, cruise ship passengers and workers...

I seen this this am on another page.  
I’m on Discovery on Sunday.  And they haven’t sent us anything or changed our itinerary as of right now.  
either port I’m ok with.  As I’ve been to Skagway before.  

just glad they are they are taking precautions for safety.   

This is sad. I'm sorry you won't be in Skagway. We were just there on Discovery less than two weeks ago and took the train. You could see how anything could happen with that hill without warning. It would be devastating if it happened because the Princess ship is right under it. I think Sitka is a better alternative than Icy Point Strait, but that doesn't make up for the disappointment. I'm sure the city did not make this decision lightly. There is still so much to enjoy and Discovery is beautiful...so have a great cruise!

Love walking around Skagway, rather be safe though.  Hopefully improvements will be made so ships can stop next year.  I was there earlier this year and the town was so excited to have tourists again.  On Crown in a few weeks only a few hrs in Icy Straight, I don’t think we will even be able to get off.  Would rather have more time somewhere else than Victoria, we are skipping Ketchikan, favorite port, at least I made it there earlier this year.  Anxious to hear if next few cruises are skipping Skagway now.

Yes, I am on The Royal Northbound to Whittier. This is my first cruise, everything was going to schedule up until now. I chose this cruise, as Polka superstar, Mollie B, and Squeezebox are performing private concerts for their fans, of which I am one. I just wish that there was one single woman under 70 for me to dance with. LOL!

• Like 2

I was just talking to a very close friend of mine who works on board the Majestic and he informed me that the Majestic will indeed be skipping skagway for the remainder of the Alaska season and will be doing icy Street point due to the mountain slide, unfortunately.

I am on Majesty August 27.

If Princess knows they are canceling Skagway, why not post  the new itinerary and new excursions before we leave.  Why wait until everyone is onboard and trying to book excursions. 

Edited by phabric

7 minutes ago, phabric said:

I am on Majesty August 27.

If Princess knows they are canceling Skagway, why not post  the new itinerary and new excursions before we leave.  Why wait until everyone is onboard and trying to book excursions. 

Someone posted this yesterday. Said this was her sons list of excursions for icy strait.    Nothing that exciting.   

4BA0FDA2-9AA6-47CE-87CC-1BED2032968E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

I wonder if Sitka is going to be permanent until deemed safe again or will Haines and Icy Strait Point be alternative options?

May be an image of text that says 'PRINCESS Ju 2022 Voyage X229 Dear Princess Guest: wish enjoying your time aboard Discovery Princess. advise change our cruise tinerary. Railroad geological advised on hursday, t chedule berth been ther berths guests Skagway, Alaska rockslide officals surrounding ort. have now abundance longe Skagway we Princess shore excursions booked you they We know cancel your continuing Skagway your shipboard folio be Shore desk Guest ours Sitka, will advise you forward regards, ofa port call disappointing, regardless the reason, and we this change. behalfo our officers and crew, we look serve you our voyage together. Captain Tim Stringer Master'

Where did you find this letter ?      
seems a little confusing.  With this letter same voyage number and date. 

AACACA5C-5D36-4538-B4F6-95FB9A571202.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Where did you find this letter ?      
seems a little confusing.  With this letter same voyage number and date. 

AACACA5C-5D36-4538-B4F6-95FB9A571202.jpeg

on a fb group...when I posted the link it was hidden so I guess it's not allowed😬

Edited by ImperialLady

8 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

on a fb group...when I posted the link it was hidden so I guess it's not allowed😬

Kinda weird both same date.   But different ports. 
so which port are they actually going to.  ??  Lol.  

4 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

OK folks, what am I missing here? As far as these old eyes can see, both letters indicate Skagway is being replaced by Sitka.

Never been to Sitka ...

Both letters appear identical to me as well. Maybe it’s that darned time-warp I’ve been doing again!

• Thanks 1

Never been to Sitka but have been to Icy Strait. There's not a ton to do there- it's kind of its own self-contained deal. There's a nature trail, a bar/restaurant (we didn't eat there so can't comment on the food), a zipline ($120ish a person I think?), a gondola where the first half is free and the half that takes you up to the zipline is paid, and a few shops. Decent whale and eagle watching opportunities near the bar but overall our least favorite port in Alaska- the only one where I felt like once was enough.

You can get transportation to Hoonah but there isn't much at all there from what I understand.

35 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Both letters appear identical to me as well. Maybe it’s that darned time-warp I’ve been doing again!

Somehow I posted the same pic by mistake. Lol 

38 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Here’s the excursion list I had.    And those are icy strait excursions I think.   

C94B11D8-50E1-47E5-9B21-82B54DD536E2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, _rusty_shackleford said:

Never been to Sitka but have been to Icy Strait. There's not a ton to do there- it's kind of its own self-contained deal. There's a nature trail, a bar/restaurant (we didn't eat there so can't comment on the food), a zipline ($120ish a person I think?), a gondola where the first half is free and the half that takes you up to the zipline is paid, and a few shops. Decent whale and eagle watching opportunities near the bar but overall our least favorite port in Alaska- the only one where I felt like once was enough.

You can get transportation to Hoonah but there isn't much at all there from what I understand.

There is a big difference betw Skagway and Hoonah and/or Sitka.  The latter 2 towns are real towns.  They existed before the cruise ships started coming and they will be around if the ship stop coming.  They might have some economic difficulties but they would survive.

Skagway basically exists because the ships come.  If they stopped coming Skagway would dry up and blow away as it has no other reason to exist.  

Don't get me wrong.  Skagway has some nice scenery and some interesting places to visit although not when 10,000 cruisers hit the town.  To me Skagway is a once-and-done place although it does have the advantage that you can drive to Skagway. 

I just came back from an AK trip where we spent 3 days pre-cruise in Sitka because we had to be there to meet our ship and we all know what is going on now with the airlines.  I have been to Sitka before.  The place is a real town with real people who are not totally cruise ship dependent.  It is a great place to visit.  I would prefer Sitka to Skagway any day.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2