What is the difference between the two main dining rooms on NCL Gem?

RBrowny

I'm still trying to get all my research done before we go, but what is the difference between the two dining rooms? Also, as it's free dining, are you put on a bigger table with other people, or do you get put in the same place if available. Me and my partner are going, so was wondering if we would have a table for 2?

Thanks in advance.

Just now, shof515 said:

there is not difference and it is free. the menu is the same

yes you can get a table for 2

Perfect, thank you. 

Just a different venue, with the same menu - that makes sense. If you've been, what do you prefer?

2 hours ago, RBrowny said:

I'm still trying to get all my research done before we go, but what is the difference between the two dining rooms? Also, as it's free dining, are you put on a bigger table with other people, or do you get put in the same place if available. Me and my partner are going, so was wondering if we would have a table for 2?

Thanks in advance.

The Grand Pacific MDR is slightly more "formal". Gents are required to wear long pants (jeans or dockers o.k.) versus Magenta where you can wear shorts. Grand Pacific is bigger with views while Magenta is smaller, noisier (usually families with kids), without windows. We much prefer the Grand Pacific. Yes, they both have the same menu, but that is the least important consideration when selecting a restaurant to eat in. 

The difference is the vibe: Grand Pacific is more, well, grand. Magenta is more casual.

Of the two, I prefer Grand Pacific, just because it fits my mental image of a dining room on a fancy ocean liner. 

But I’d gladly dine in either.

Thank you for all your comments, it's very much appreciated. I think what's best for us, is to try them both and see which we prefer. Do they offer breakfast service at these two, I know on previous cruises you can order a breakfast to your table? That wasn't part of the buffet.

11 minutes ago, RBrowny said:

Thank you for all your comments, it's very much appreciated. I think what's best for us, is to try them both and see which we prefer. Do they offer breakfast service at these two, I know on previous cruises you can order a breakfast to your table? That wasn't part of the buffet.

I believe that Magenta is only open for dinner. Grand Pacific is open for breakfast and lunch.

Just now, dcipjr said:

I believe that Magenta is only open for dinner. Grand Pacific is open for breakfast and lunch.

Oh brilliant, and with the breakfast and lunch, is it a set menu?

37 minutes ago, RBrowny said:

Yes, set menu, with pretty standard American breakfast items (omelettes, eggs Benedict, waffles, that kind of stuff.)  Lunch is usually some sandwich options or a choice of a few hot dishes.  

1 hour ago, RBrowny said:

For lunch, I believe it's set.

For breakfast, there are a few day-to-day variations, though the bulk of the menu remains the same.

4 hours ago, RBrowny said:

Thank you for all your comments, it's very much appreciated. I think what's best for us, is to try them both and see which we prefer. 

This is what my wife and I usually do.  Try them both early on, and see what we like.  We tend to lean towards the "fancier" locale that's AFT because it's just a bit more luxurious feeling.  And on sea days, you should be able to enjoy both lunch and breakfast there as well.  We vastly prefer that option for breakfast compared to buffet. 

• Like 1

grand pacific all the way.

magenta is OK, with the same menu as others have noted... but it's much smaller and noisier and the overall atmosphere is lacking. also, the ceiling is much lower... grand pacific is much, well, grander (as someone upthread has noted).

Edited by UKstages

For photos images of both dining rooms LINK:

Norwegian Gem Deck 6 Deck Plans (cruisedeckplans.com)

Click on the little camera icons for the photos

The Menu is the same and shared by the same Galley between the two dining rooms.

Note while both dining rooms are on deck 6 - 4 elevators (main atrium) service

the Magneta DR and ONLY 1 (aft elevator bank) services the GP DR - - -

Able body folks Please use the stairs and leave that one elevator for HC and

elderly mobility impaired guests (bad design by NCL)

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add note

On 7/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, rmurray847 said:

This is what my wife and I usually do.  Try them both early on, and see what we like.  We tend to lean towards the "fancier" locale that's AFT because it's just a bit more luxurious feeling.  And on sea days, you should be able to enjoy both lunch and breakfast there as well.  We vastly prefer that option for breakfast compared to buffet. 

I think the AFT one looks perfect for me and my partner, but will try both out to see which is best.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:55 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

For photos images of both dining rooms LINK:

Norwegian Gem Deck 6 Deck Plans (cruisedeckplans.com)

Click on the little camera icons for the photos

The Menu is the same and shared by the same Galley between the two dining rooms.

Note while both dining rooms are on deck 6 - 4 elevators (main atrium) service

the Magneta DR and ONLY 1 (aft elevator bank) services the GP DR - - -

Able body folks Please use the stairs and leave that one elevator for HC and

elderly mobility impaired guests (bad design by NCL)

Thank you, I didn't know they had pictures of the both, but you can quite clearly tell the difference. Really appreciate it!

On 7/29/2022 at 12:31 AM, UKstages said:

grand pacific all the way.

magenta is OK, with the same menu as others have noted... but it's much smaller and noisier and the overall atmosphere is lacking. also, the ceiling is much lower... grand pacific is much, well, grander (as someone upthread has noted).

I think that's the theme, a lot of people have said the same thing so that makes sense. Thanks for your comments!