Are we crazy...thinking of only bringing carry on bags to Europe!

Cruising7in2017

Are we crazy? Anybody else only doing only carry on for European cruise (7 night cruise plus 2 before and 3 after)?

I have had so many friends that have lost luggage this summer traveling or it arrives 10 days late!

I think everything we can fit everything in our carry on if we a launder our sundresses/bring steamer, since it is like 95 degrees in most of our ports, all of the clothes are light. We are a family of 5 (kids clothes are smaller too). Think it is doable? We are traveling 1st class, I am not sure if that helps, 1 roller carry on and personal item (backpack w/electronics/books/empty water bottle)? Has anyone else done this or had bad luck with luggage this summer. 

TIA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising7in2017 said:

Are we crazy? Anybody else only doing only carry on for European cruise (7 night cruise plus 2 before and 3 after)?

I have had so many friends that have lost luggage this summer traveling or it arrives 10 days late!

I think everything we can fit everything in our carry on if we a launder our sundresses/bring steamer, since it is like 95 degrees in most of our ports, all of the clothes are light. We are a family of 5 (kids clothes are smaller too). Think it is doable? We are traveling 1st class, I am not sure if that helps, 1 roller carry on and personal item (backpack w/electronics/books/empty water bottle)? Has anyone else done this or had bad luck with luggage this summer. 

TIA

When I fly for a 2 week vacation, I can pack everything in a roller that fits in the O/H bin above my seat and I also take a carry-on that has 2 days of clothes in it as well.  Never had a problem.  

• Like 8

We went carry-on and it worked. Had things laundered on the ship, and hand washed a few. All went OK. Funny on how ugh you can cut back, and especially shoes. I carry slip ones and a pair is for walking And pass for dining just fine. 

Even better with 5 of you…..roller suitcase and a backpack/bag for each! Wife carries a larger bag and puts the purse in it….a smaller travel purse.

You mentioned a steamer…..clothes steamers not allowed on board.

Den

• Like 3

I have done two 10 day trips and one 15 day trip to Europe, all with carry ons. I packed dresses and flats that went with all of them. With cruise ships relaxing their dress code, I think it's doable, and with the travel woes this summer, the best way to go in my opinion. 

• Like 2

We are also going to travel with carry-on for our b2b cruise out of Rome in September/October.  We have done it before while traveling to Costa Rica for two weeks because, we flew in a very small plane from Central Costa Rica to a small airport in along the Caribbean. We are planning on utilizing our complimentary laundry service on the ship each week. 

DO IT!!  You will not regret it, and you won't miss a thing (but lose the steamer as Den said).  Just pack a small spray bottle and spritz your clothes before hanging in closet. Wash undies and tees in sink. 

• Like 1

You should be fine, but make sure it’s an international sized carry on.  We did exactly this and had to check our carry ons on the way back because they were too big.  And… airline ended up losing one of them.  Had to wait a few days for it. So frustrated as we were trying to avoid this situation. 

• Like 1

FYI for the OP Celebrity does not allow steamers on board, it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

We have a 17 N trip ( 12 cruise) and are trying to figure out how to just do carry on. Where we hit issues is with liquids ( shampoo, conditioner, gel, body lotion, mouth wash, perfume, hair spray, face cleanser & cream, suntan lotion). With no checked luggage where do you pack these?  

The second issue is shoes, DHs size 14 take up a lot of space & weight even when we pack socks & undies in them.  We both wear our walking shoes to fly and take a pair of dress shoes for evenings and a pair of sandals. I can figure out the clothing but tge toiletries and shoes have me stumped.

• Like 1

It depends on what size carry on you are allowed. 10kg is usual and that is not a lot we would use that for a 3/4 day trip. I totally understand your fears but my motto is “I would rather be looking at it than looking for it” We are the opposite we put everything into two 23kg suitcases and just board with small backpacks that hold medications and valuables. 

Wishing you a fantastic cruise with your family

So funny…I was just discussing this with my friend…Although I still need Flights by Celebrity to get me flights since United canceled them a month ago…

We bought new carryons and I’m starting to acquire travel size toiletries…

We are on the Edge on September 3rd…so hoping I can fit enough clothes and I am Elite so I have a free bags of laundry…I have been watching a lot of You tube videos for packing hints.

We can pack everything that we need in our carry ons for international travel (12-16 days).  On one of our trips we decided at the last minute to check a bag with full size liquids and a couple of pairs of extra shoes.  If the checked bag had not made it then we would still have been fine because we really didn't "need" anything in it.  We only took it to pack souveniers for the trip home. 😉

• Like 4

This is one of those personal preference things. I haven't and can't see myself ever packing in only a carry-on for a trip (not just a cruise) of 4-5 days or more. I like my stuff, I like options, and a "lost" bag (which is usually a delayed bag) is a possibility but one I'm willing to risk. It's happened to me only a couple of times, and I pack so I can still get by for a day or two.

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks everyone, I think we are going to do just carry-ons, we did this for Cartagena, Colombia for New Years Eve 22', but that was a shorter trip and even more casual. I think our rollers are standard size, a bit worried about our CDG to Barcelona flight, as there is no first class and we are going to look like we have a LOT of luggage (and we have 1 hr. 35 minute layover). We may check one for space if we buy stuff and spillover (big shoes) and toiletries for my daughters, they are divas with hair products etc.

I've done it on land trips where I could find wash and fold laundries and do casual dinners. Could never do it on a cruise. Not even a 7 night. We dress for dinner, workout in the morning, another outfit for sight seeing, etc. At least 3 changes of clothes a day. It's just not practical, even with sending out laundry on the ship. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jelayne said:

FYI for the OP Celebrity does not allow steamers on board, it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

We have a 17 N trip ( 12 cruise) and are trying to figure out how to just do carry on. Where we hit issues is with liquids ( shampoo, conditioner, gel, body lotion, mouth wash, perfume, hair spray, face cleanser & cream, suntan lotion). With no checked luggage where do you pack these?  

The second issue is shoes, DHs size 14 take up a lot of space & weight even when we pack socks & undies in them.  We both wear our walking shoes to fly and take a pair of dress shoes for evenings and a pair of sandals. I can figure out the clothing but tge toiletries and shoes have me stumped.

When we travel I take dry shampoo and conditioner (small flat packet) that reconstitutes when mixed with water (made by gemz).  We buy travel size hair spray, gel, mouthwash, etc).  

• Like 1

We are doing the same... invested in some easy-to-wash capsule wardrobe things (skirt, leggings, this wonder of fabric, merino wool shirt/sweater/socks and t-shirt dress to sleep in). 

A few different tops to change things up, packing sandals and wearing wool sneakers, limiting toiletries to travel sizes only and will buy anything I run out of in port.  I've got a clothesline/sink stopper/detergent to wash, and we're spending a week in Spain prior to our 10 day cruise where our last few days are in an AirB&B with a washer/dryer so will do our first week of laundry there.

Planning on sending a few things to wash on ship but will also wash easy-dry items (see above) in sinks etc.

We actually were inspired to do this before all the airport chaos since we are planning a Rick Steves tour in 2024 where they only ALLOW carry ons... but now I am super thrilled that I am doing this because not having to worry about losing luggage in this climate is priceless!

Many tips on how to do this here:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart

• Like 3

We have long traveled with carry on only - a 22" each and personal item.  Limit shoes and any bulky items I reduce using compression bags (this trip is Iceland, Ireland and Norway so bulky stuff is coming along).  We plan on rinsing wool shirts and hiking pants as they will dry overnight.  Also utilize ship laundry.  My wardrobe is very simple which is how I dress anyway.  I have used bar shampoo and conditioner, started when I traveled every week for work, which helps with liquids.  Will pick up body lotion before we board and enjoy our 19 nights on the Apex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Like Rick Steves says... they DO sell toothpaste in Europe.  You take travel size stuff and if you run out, you just buy some in port!  Also - if you're travelling with others, have EVERYONE take one of whatever you think you might run out of 😉

• Like 1

We did a 14 day cruise , two seven day cruises b2b, with two carryons with no problem. We are elite + so we each got two free bags of laundry each leg. It turned out to be a one time shot, the boss didn’t care for her lack of options when it came to her attire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rick Steves has some good videos and articles about how to travel light. One way is to get socks, undies, and shirts that wash and dry easily in a sink. I know that's a hard sell to a lot of cruise passengers, but he enforces a 1-bag policy on his tours, and even my always-overpacking sister managed an Italy tour with just a travel backpack. I've used a duffel with backstraps on my last 3 Alaska cruises and use the Uber app to rent an electric bike or scooter to get to the pier from a nearby neighborhood where I leave my car. When I fly I check the duffel and bring enough clothes in a carry-on Osprey backpack to survive lost luggage. 

2 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Rick Steves has some good videos and articles about how to travel light. One way is to get socks, undies, and shirts that wash and dry easily in a sink. I know that's a hard sell to a lot of cruise passengers, but he enforces a 1-bag policy on his tours, and even my always-overpacking sister managed an Italy tour with just a travel backpack. I've used a duffel with backstraps on my last 3 Alaska cruises and use the Uber app to rent an electric bike or scooter to get to the pier from a nearby neighborhood where I leave my car. When I fly I check the duffel and bring enough clothes in a carry-on Osprey backpack to survive lost luggage. 

It's almost like I just posted this above... haha.

Rick Steves is THE MAN for travelling light to Europe - he's an expert at it.

I brought a 26" bag on my Rick Steves tour in 2012. I managed it on my own and it was less of a burden than the guy who'd just had knee surgery, used a walking stick, and kept telling the guide to slow down. 😊

ETA: Rick Steves wears one shirt and has people to carry his camera equipment. He may travel light; his crew brings all the stuff.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Last time Europe sold mouthwash, shampoo, sunblock etc or you both get a 1qt baggies with 3.4oz bottles (100ml).

We wear our walking shoes and bring a pair of dressy sandals.  Haven't worn dress shoes in years.