No More Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated guests on voyages less than 6 nights starting August 8th!

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

*cough*BERMUDA*cough*

And Canada.  I've not been too excited about this change since no matter what they did, it probably would not affect our October Canada cruise.  

We are over 7 night cruisers so I am super happy that we have no cruises booked and several land trips planned for this fall.  Maybe in 2024 there won't be all the hoops and confusion involved in cruising and it will be fun again.  One can hope and then we will book.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

*cough*BERMUDA*cough*

Each country has their own right to do what they think is right for them.  However, if the "TRAVEL/TOURISM INDUSTRY", not just Royal, tells these destinations that if they don't accept the "TRAVEL/TOURISM INDUSTRY'S" standards, they just won't port/go there.  I think things would change rather quickly.  Many countries live or die by the tourism/cruise industry.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Each country has their own right to do what they think is right for them.  However, if the "TRAVEL/TOURISM INDUSTRY", not just Royal, tells these destinations that if they don't accept the "TRAVEL/TOURISM INDUSTRY'S" standards, they just won't port/go there.  I think things would change rather quickly.  Many countries live or die by the tourism/cruise industry.  

Yeah, but a Bermuda cruise is a thing and kind of needs to stop in Bermuda. I don’t imagine passengers will accept, “there’s Bermuda 20 miles away! Okay, back to New York!” 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, watcher_62 said:

Sailing at over 100% occupancy in Caribbean since mid June. Most North America over 100, but Europe still 75 to 80 due to Ukraine... And we're spending more onboard that in 2019...

OK - so they answered a question about 6+ days that they plan on removing all testing in the next 45 days, but again destination dependent...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

And Canada.  I've not been too excited about this change since no matter what they did, it probably would not affect our October Canada cruise.  

I was born and raised in Canada.  But, as long as they continue to do what they do, I'll not be back as a tourist, any time soon.  On my last cruise, we made a port of call in Victoria, I didn't get off the ship even though I had to do the ArriveCan thing just to cruise to Alaska.  Other than my brother, ALL my relatives live in or around the Toronto area and they hate what is going on.  They refuse to travel because of so much uncertainty.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

With cruises less than 6 nights there remains a degree of uncertainty when someone who ends up positive actually became infected.   On longer cruises there is more certainty if a positive case occurred during the cruise.  

During any potential legal or social media actions blaming the cruise that degree of uncertainty means a lot.  The public will quickly decide you can't blame it on the cruise during a 4 night sailing for example.   The keyword is "outbreak".  

An outbreak takes time to get rolling.  Spread may occur on day one of a cruise but it doesn't balloon into an outbreak until the spread multiples on itself several days into a cruise.  On cruises less than 6 nights it becomes much more difficult to prove an outbreak occurred on the ship if one did in fact occur.  

This is important because if an outbreak occurs on a ship and there is no denying an outbreak has occurred on board the next question will be "Did the cruise line do enough to prevent the outbreak?".  Precruise testing is a key component of doing enough to prevent an outbreak.  

Till when? 2030?

• Like 1

I'm booked on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda in late August and got really excited when I read the press release, until I was reminded that a negative Covid test is still required by the Bermuda government for entry.  Oh well. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If true:

Better than nothing for who?  It doesn't change a thing for me.  I don't take cruises for anything less than 7 nights.  So, I get nothing!

I guess my boarding pass only has the COVID virus on it if it says 7 nights or longer.  In my opinion, it's a gimmick. Less people likely to show up positive, less people in the quarantine cabins, less public relations issues while on the cruise ship on a 6 or less night cruise.  

Oh well, it is less likely that I'll be looking for a cruise earlier than my January 2024 cruise that I've already got booked.  At least as long as the testing requirement is still there.  

Hey MP, Did you get out as a 0 or and E??

3 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Till when? 2030?

Once society continues to evolve and everyone stops hyping up covid.   The midterms will refocus mainstream media away from the pandemic.   Right now "cruise ship outbreak" is still a juicy click bait headline the media will jump on.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

1 day will make a difference?????

Maybe, maybe not.  Current variants tends to show itself in 3-5 days.  But you could still have it and be asymptomatic earlier.   So if RCCL's experience has been fewer COVID positives on board for shorter cruises and most on Board positives coming around day 5 or 6, it makes some sense.  But nothing about treating or prevent the spread of COVID makes complete sense anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, crewsweeper said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Current variants tends to show itself in 3-5 days.  But you could still have it and be asymptomatic earlier.   So if RCCL's experience has been fewer COVID positives on board for shorter cruises and most on Board positives coming around day 5 or 6, it makes some sense.  But nothing about treating or prevent the spread of COVID makes complete sense anyway.

It all just makes no sense, honestly and the majority of us know that 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Yeah, but a Bermuda cruise is a thing and kind of needs to stop in Bermuda. I don’t imagine passengers will accept, “there’s Bermuda 20 miles away! Okay, back to New York!” 

Well, ya, if the cruise ship advertises that they are only 20 miles away, which I think the ship would be a lot further away.  AND, some people would ***** and others wouldn't.  Just like everything else in life.  I'm participating in the ***** session because I don't like testing to cruise, not anymore.

• Like 2