Have I "outgrown" cruising? Or am I just done with Royal Caribbean?

32 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

I am not attacking you for this comment I just wanted to call out I see this excuse a lot. Its never an acceptable excuse in the service industry in my opinion though (not saying you are saying it is).

I see something similar with Disney World as well where people try to place it on employee shortages. Thing is when I cruised in Sept '21 or visited WDW in Jan '21 it was still an amazing experience because of the capacity restrictions.

I think the issue many have is they are only now visiting and don't realize having shortages doesn't need to diminish the experience if managing capacity correctly. Heck most of the OPs complaints likely wouldn't happen if the ship was held to 50% capacity. More room in pools (even with part of it closed), less stress on server with less people in restaurant (so they could follow up and correct issue), better quality food (don't need to pass of poor ingredients as acceptable because of supply chain issues since they don't need to make as much food), ect.

This is also one of the big hesitations I have with jumping in to an Allure or Symphony cruise in September vs going elsewhere for a "ship within a ship" suite.

I don’t disagree with most of your post, but if cruise lines started reducing passenger capacities, you would likely see more cruise lines cease to exist. This is just my view, but I am willing and have dealt with issues on recent cruises that in the big picture didn’t impact my cruise. I am just happy to be on a ship and hoping RCI (and other cruise lines) generate enough income to pay their debts and not cease operations. 

For what it’s worth, I have sailed on Harmony twice in the last two months and the service, especially at the speciality restaurants and bars, was outstanding. Definitely the best I have experienced in the 13 cruises I have been on since the pandemic. Of course that doesn’t mean it will be the same on other Oasis ships. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t disagree with most of your post, but if cruise lines started reducing passenger capacities, you would likely see more cruise lines cease to exist. This is just my view, but I am willing and have dealt with issues on recent cruises that in the big picture didn’t impact my cruise. I am just happy to be on a ship and hoping RCI (and other cruise lines) generate enough income to pay their debts and not cease operations. 

For what it’s worth, I have sailed on Harmony twice in the last two months and the service, especially at the speciality restaurants and bars, was outstanding. Definitely the best I have experienced in the 13 cruises I have been on since the pandemic. Of course that doesn’t mean it will be the same on other Oasis ships. 

I don't know about Royal, whom I am very loyal to, but when I was loyal to Carnival and I used to follow John Heald's (Brand Ambassador and senior Cruise Director) Facebook forum religiously, he would actually come out and say that Carnival is budgeted based on full capacity and they never cruise not being full.  Now, he did not define what full is.  Just like the government, full can mean 92% of revenue producing passengers or whatever.  Large corporations and the government tend to make things up as they go along, duh!

37 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We are flying in and out of PSP in November to go to our neighbors daughters wedding in San Diego, she is a dentist in the Navy marrying a helicopter pilot officer.  We are planning on doing some hiking the week we are there, and of course spend a night in PS so we can soak it in.  Love visiting downtown and the Shag store.  Trying to decide to stay in the Airstream park in Joshua tree or not.  We were supposed to be in Palm Springs last January, but covid killed that conference, and the one the previous fall in La Costa.  

November can be a great time here. The summer heat will be gone and the evenings are great. We love both Shag and Nat Reed’s art. We have a good number of pieces in our home. 

I have sailed on three different RCI ships after the lockdown and didn't encounter any major snafus.  The first one I had to wear a mask indoors -- not fun.  Other than that, supplies were plentiful, food was good and service was up to par.  I did enjoy my Celebrity cruises more than RCI but haven't been on Celebrity recently.  Can't say the same for Carnival, NCL and Princess.  I want to try MSC for something different especially if they still have the matching loyalty levels.  Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw and not the actual cruise company.  It's a good idea to try different lines before giving up on cruising altogether.  Just my two cents worth.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I agreed but for a different reason.  Our cruise to Bermuda a few years ago on the Anthem was a fantastic cruise.  BUT, I didn't care one bit for the port and the surrounding area.  Very sketchy at best.  Our pre-cruise hotel was right next to a Walmart and I'm telling you the people that were in that Walmart made the "people of Walmart" photos look like high society folks.  

I'm very partial to Port Everglades, Port of Miami, and/or Canaveral.  Very nice locations or locations you can get to easily from other very nice locations.  Galveston is nice too but I've never had to stay overnight, pre-cruise or post-cruise.  

YMMV

There is a sketchy area in Bermuda? Or are you talking about the embarkation Port? From my experience Bermuda doesn't have a sketchy area. If it does I didn't see it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I am not attacking you for this comment I just wanted to call out I see this excuse a lot. Its never an acceptable excuse in the service industry in my opinion though (not saying you are saying it is).

I see something similar with Disney World as well where people try to place it on employee shortages. Thing is when I cruised in Sept '21 or visited WDW in Jan '21 it was still an amazing experience because of the capacity restrictions.

I think the issue many have is they are only now visiting and don't realize having shortages doesn't need to diminish the experience if managing capacity correctly. Heck most of the OPs complaints likely wouldn't happen if the ship was held to 50% capacity. More room in pools (even with part of it closed), less stress on server with less people in restaurant (so they could follow up and correct issue), better quality food (don't need to pass of poor ingredients as acceptable because of supply chain issues since they don't need to make as much food), ect.

This is also one of the big hesitations I have with jumping in to an Allure or Symphony cruise in September vs going elsewhere for a "ship within a ship" suite.

No worries  - I didn't take that as an attack.  I do think that going back to full capacity with known shortages is a poor decision.  While I anticipate that there may be problems on my upcoming October cruise, I intend to enjoy it regardless.  My big thing is that I won't be like the frog in a pot of lukewarm water, accepting this as "the new normal".  I can work with some temporary shortages, but if RCCL (or cruise lines in general) begin to realize people will still fill ships with reduce quality of service and food, I'll vacation elsewhere.  In fact, I already do!  My wife and I only cruise every few years.  We enjoy many other vacations, but cruises are special to us and we spend much more on those than any other getaway.   

Speaking of WDW, I have not been back since the pandemic.  My last visit was January 2019.  We had planned a trip for October 2021, but cancelled as masks were still being required indoors, and they required "reservations" so we decide do wait.  Once things totally reopened there and masking was no longer required, we see that they not only kept he reservation system, but they started this Genie "FP for fee" thing.  Um, no thanks!  I'll wait until the frenzy is over and thins go back to normal there.  And if they don't I just won't go.  

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 2:58 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

This is sort of insulting and minimizing. I have been on 6 cruises. The first 5 I loved. I noticed some significant changes this time around and for the first time found my enjoyment significantly impacted, and was trying to get the perspective of other cruisers to see if others are seeing it? If so, is it only RCI? Or is it all cruise lines? 

Seriously I specifically invited anyone not interested to skip the post. 

It's true that every cruise line and its sub lines are struggling after being forcefully shot down for 2 -years and continuously under microscope.  It was so predictable in March 2020.  I have no idea why the majority all of a sudden wonders these days about reasons of all businesses (cars, restaurants, cruises, hotels, food production and distribution, and everything else) not able to deliver the same level of quality as 2.5 years ago - even if all of them will be finally left alone right now (without pushing to jump on each occasion), it would take at least 3 more years to bring back the norm of operation; basically, "it is so easy to destroy, but so difficult to reconstruct" or "to break is not to build".

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:58 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

That's it. More fun times at Johnny Rockets when we asked "are these starters per person or to share"? He said to share. Then he brings our onion rings. Four small onion rings for four people. *****? And...my wife's burger never came at all. 

. I'm also curious why I can't make my own ice cream...sorry, frozen yogurt...cone outside on the pool deck? How is COVID more transmissible in that one spot as opposed to every other surface in the Windjammer? Or on the soda machine touch screens? On the Promenade coffee machine handles? Arbitrary and didnt make sense. 

Sigh. 

well I have said for quite a while that Johhny Rockets is a mess of a place to eat.

Milkshakes were terrible and the last burger I had was very overcooked and tasteless.

As for the frozen yogurt, I think it is to keep track of kids not working the machine and getting tghe stuff all over the floor.  Oh and the machine does needs refilling a lot as well.

I am glad to be served these days if for no other reason than to keep kids and perhaps some adults from mishandling.

I am on the ADV OTS in mid Sept so I hope things go well.  But honestly I have done Wonder, Symphony, and Allure this year and on each of them something is off or not quite to my liking.

Just might be what cruising is all about.  Never saw the Broadway show because of covid issues or supply chain.  Meals in MDR are iffy as well as cold air conditioning. 

And we all know how bad the MY TIME dining is for a lot of folks in that it starts at 6:45 pm.

I mean for some folks that is perhaps late and not what I call my time.

oh well, still like cruising but like the rest of the world, I have lowered my expectations just a bit.

OP, Methinks thou doth protest overmuch.

I had fantasy expectations, and excess anticipation for my first cruise after lockdown.  I found basically the same cruise as I had in Feb 2020.  My 2nd cruise after lockdown, I got to spend 11 days on board, relaxing, tanning, and enjoying the islands.  It's still the same cruise line.  I simply had to ditch my fantasies, and adjust to pre-pandemic expectations.  Yes, I looked forward to a new and exciting cruise experience, but if I'm repeating the same-old, same-old, I should expect a repeat experience. 

I came to the conclusion if I want brighter, better, more luxurious I'd better be willing to pay for it.  I'm quite content to go "camping on the ocean", visit a few islands, and spend my two weeks decompressing.  Royal Caribbean meets that expectation at a price point that lets me get away twice a year.   

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is a sketchy area in Bermuda? Or are you talking about the embarkation Port? From my experience Bermuda doesn't have a sketchy area. If it does I didn't see it.

LOL, ya I mean the embarkation port.  And you are right, I never saw a sketchy area in Bermuda.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, ya I mean the embarkation port.  And you are right, I never saw a sketchy area in Bermuda.

I didn't either and I hopped on the local bus not knowing where in the heck it was going.  Never saw any bad areas at all.  I loved the pink sand and all the shades of blue and green waters.  It was way more upscale than some of the islands in the Caribbean, IMO and nothing like some of the 'hoods in Miami. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

why what is wrong with Pier 91 in Seattle?

Oh man, I could go on and on.  But, just a few things.  

1.  If you take a limo or Shuttle from the hotel or airport, you can't be dropped off at curbside.  You have to go into the, well I don't know what to call it.  But, if it is busy when you get there, you could be several hundred yards from the terminal entrance.

2.  The line to get into the terminal, if you aren't suite class is hundreds, yes hundreds of yards long.

3.  The terminal, I believe from what I experienced/saw and I've read that it was not originally a passenger terminal, it was a cargo terminal and not to passenger friendly.  They did some work on the facade, years ago, to make it look more like a passenger terminal.

4.  Parking is not convenient or close to the terminal.

5.  Driving into the port is a mess and backed up.

Just to name a few things!

27 minutes ago, gmerick said:

OP, Methinks thou doth protest overmuch.

I had fantasy expectations, and excess anticipation for my first cruise after lockdown.  I found basically the same cruise as I had in Feb 2020.  My 2nd cruise after lockdown, I got to spend 11 days on board, relaxing, tanning, and enjoying the islands.  It's still the same cruise line.  I simply had to ditch my fantasies, and adjust to pre-pandemic expectations.  Yes, I looked forward to a new and exciting cruise experience, but if I'm repeating the same-old, same-old, I should expect a repeat experience. 

I came to the conclusion if I want brighter, better, more luxurious I'd better be willing to pay for it.  I'm quite content to go "camping on the ocean", visit a few islands, and spend my two weeks decompressing.  Royal Caribbean meets that expectation at a price point that lets me get away twice a year.   

Anyone who is satisfied with "camping in the ocean" would obviously think the OP, or anyone else with and issue, "doth protest over much".🙄 Most prople don't book a reservation on a billion dollar cruise ship to go camping. Absurd.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Oh man, I could go on and on.  But, just a few things.  

1.  If you take a limo or Shuttle from the hotel or airport, you can't be dropped off at curbside.  You have to go into the, well I don't know what to call it.  But, if it is busy when you get there, you could be several hundred yards from the terminal entrance.

2.  The line to get into the terminal, if you aren't suite class is hundreds, yes hundreds of yards long.

3.  The terminal, I believe from what I experienced/saw and I've read that it was not originally a passenger terminal, it was a cargo terminal and not to passenger friendly.  They did some work on the facade, years ago, to make it look more like a passenger terminal.

4.  Parking is not convenient or close to the terminal.

5.  Driving into the port is a mess and backed up.

Just to name a few things!

Sounds like the old Galveston terminal, except drop-off there was very convenient.  It was just a dumpy old cargo terminal and traffic was a nightmare.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Anyone who is satisfied with "camping in the ocean" would obviously think the OP, or anyone else with and issue, "doth protest over much".🙄 Most prople don't book a reservation on a billion dollar cruise ship to go camping. Absurd.

When my wife and I met, I had a 36 foot sailboat.  I ended up  selling it because she would not stay on it.  She said it was a "floating camper".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Well, let's think about this.... if their staffing and inventory of supplies are down, their expenses are necessarily also down.  I can't remember where I read this but there was an article posted here last year reporting that the mega ships such as Oasis and Anthem can still make a profit at something like 50% capacity.  So knowing this, and knowing that operating expenses are down to whatever percentage due to the lack of staff and supplies, trying to maintain 100% capacity at the expense of passenger goodwill and return customers seems like a bad business decision.

Something has got to give.... it is clearly an unsustainable method the cruise lines are trying to maintain right now when you have years-loyal die-hard fans of a particular cruise line coming here and giving bad reviews when they never had before.  If you read his posts carefully, the OP still has an 80% satisfaction rate with RC.  He's being honest and doesn't want to leave RC if he can avoid it.... and it sounds to me like he's coming here looking for a reason to stay rather than starting to look at other lines, but wants to know if this is a one-off or the new normal.  Personally I think he has a lot more faith in this forum than I'd have, not that it did  him any favors.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

Sounds like the old Galveston terminal, except drop-off there was very convenient.  It was just a dumpy old cargo terminal and traffic was a nightmare.  

Yes it was, but for some reason, I didn't mind all the minor issues there.  The new terminal should be real nice except for no parking garage.  I believe, but not sure, they are putting some surface lots around the terminal.  If not, it's a little way to get to/back from the other surface parking lots, they required a shuttle to the old terminal, I assume they still will with the new one.  

On 7/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

I may try another line. Problem is, I don't think a try "luxury" line is in the cards financially....Norwegian I have heard is just as hit or miss as RCI...and Celebrity may be nice, but I don't really want to reward RCI by still giving them my money. And I keep asking myself...maybe I should just pivot to the all-inclusive resort thing where, because I've paid up front (more admittedly) they literally only focus on all the little things that make my life easier and my stay better, rather than harder and more expensive. 

If you look at pricing (at least from what I've researched) cruising is still the most affordable "all inclusive vacation" option, especially if you don't have to fly to port. I agree the food has gone downhill - but unless you are going to a luxury all inclusive (with reflective pricing) - I doubt you will be impressed there either. Bottom line, it's your money and your vacation and you should be able to enjoy it - whatever that means for you.  

22 hours ago, kruzerci said:

You’re getting a lot of pushback, but I agree with most of your points. We have done 35 cruises with Royal over 20+ years and there have been two distinct periods during which the quality diminished drastically- the 2008 financial crisis and COVID. 

I am sailing the cruises I had booked and a couple bargain sailings, but other than that I have moved to Celebrity and Virgin for most future cruises. Celebrity has dropped in quality also, however, is a premium experience to Royal. 

Since you mentioned 2008 quality diminishing and have sailed since I'm curious - have you noticed a that quality improve AFTER 2008 issues at some point or do you feel it's just been downhill ever since? I only started with Royal in 2019 so I don't have a way to compare myself.

Three things are possible. Or some combination. 1) you have outgrown RC. Try Celebrity. But only if #1 is the only problem. 2) could be that cruising has not returned to pre-pandemic levels of customer service and food. In that case, maybe take a break from cruising? Try a “staycation” or road trip. 3) maybe you are burned out on cruising. See #2. 

29 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Three things are possible. Or some combination. 1) you have outgrown RC. Try Celebrity. But only if #1 is the only problem. 2) could be that cruising has not returned to pre-pandemic levels of customer service and food. In that case, maybe take a break from cruising? Try a “staycation” or road trip. 3) maybe you are burned out on cruising. See #2. 

All good options.  But, I'd like to add one:

4) Book a RCCL cruise for the near future, different ship though.  Don't sit around a stew over the last cruise.  See if there is a difference with a fresh memory of the last.  Make and informed and fresh assessment of the last vs the next.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure Best Western has two tiers of internet. Luckily, I keep it on Cell when its bad.

BTW, posted at 07:20

No idea why its in approval status🤔

Not sure why it needed to be approved.  Maybe the mods had to check the link to make sure no TA advertisements?

Funny you should mention Best Western.  I was going to book there tonight. Instead choose the Fairfield Inn by Marriott across the street. 

Fortunately I was only web surfing & CC only needs basic access so I saved myself $4.95🙂

20220731_000803.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

All good options.  But, I'd like to add one:

4) Book a RCCL cruise for the near future, different ship though.  Don't sit around a stew over the last cruise.  See if there is a difference with a fresh memory of the last.  Make and informed and fresh assessment of the last vs the next.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

There have always been things which have been less than perfect on all our cruises , but overall we have thoroughly enjoyed them and never had a bad one . It is possible for a sailing or ship to have an "off day" especially if they are training new staff , which I assume they are doing a lot of as they and many other businesses  are trying desperately to rehire post pandemic..I would wait a few months , book another RC cruise on a different ship and see how you get on. If all the things you were dissatisfied with are still there then it is probably time to look elsewhere for a vacation. If not , then great! Good luck!

• Like 1