New testing protocols

MeganGC1983

1 minute ago, mrschrod said:

Where did you find this? On the Bahamas official site, it says that if you are fully vaccinated you do not have to test.

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

carnival website - https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed, I don't get it - why is Carnival so special?  RCI doesn't have this reversal in protocol application.

Really?!  Bahamas are not requiring RCI passengers to test? This is so disappointing.  It even says on the travelweekly.com site that Bahamas require vaccination proof of vaccinated passengers.  That's it. UGH.

Bahamas: open to vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers

Updated: June 16.

Vaccinated travelers:

Show proof of vaccination.

Unvaccinated travelers:

Travelers ages 2 and over must present proof of RT-PCR test taken within three days of arrival. 

The testing requirements clarification for the Bahamas and Grand Cayman will catch many by surprise. I would guess at least 1/2 of the Carnival cruises of 5 days or less stop in the Bahamas.

Even though they posted the clarification yesterday on the website, I expect many people to show up to board with no test results and be denied boarding and scrambling trying to find a place to get tested at the last minute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Really?!  Bahamas are not requiring RCI passengers to test? This is so disappointing.  It even says on the travelweekly.com site that Bahamas require vaccination proof of vaccinated passengers.  That's it. UGH.

RCL has not released detailed protocols yet and their new testing protocols don't go into effect until August 8.  If the Bahamas are requiring a test, I imagine RCL will have to add that clarification as well.

And throughout the pandemic, many countries have had different requirements for cruise ships that stop there compared to those that travel by air.  Canada is an example of this.  They require no test to enter by land or air but they require any cruise stopping there to require a pre-cruise test.   So just because you can fly to the Bahamas without a test does not mean they don't still require one for cruise passengers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

I am so mad they flip-flopped on this!  If I wasn't past final payment I would probably cancel in protest.  So ridiculous to get our hopes up and now we have to still find and pay for a test. 

Go to the Carnival website and click on the Have Fun, Be Safe link.  Under FAQ's, about half way down the page, you will see a section about self tests.  It has links that you can order your test to be mailed to your house.  (Do not open the test until you are told to.) It's really easy, no appointment necessary. Sit down in front of the computer when you are ready to do your test, log in, a proctor comes up, verifies you (need ID) and your test.  Walks you through the test.  Leave it on your desk for 15 minutes and go about whatever else you need to do.  Come back when the time is up, the proctor logs back in, verifies the result and emails it to you.  All done!   

If you have not used it, I highly recommend the Verifly app.  You upload vaccination and test results while you are at home.  A green box shows up around your picture once you are good to go and then you will spend less than a minute at the station that verifies your test/vaccination status.  (I do recommend paper backups just in case the app is having issues.)

The testing is an extra step, but it can be done fairly easily with the right tools.

18 minutes ago, prmssk said:

RCL has not released detailed protocols yet and their new testing protocols don't go into effect until August 8.  If the Bahamas are requiring a test, I imagine RCL will have to add that clarification as well.

And throughout the pandemic, many countries have had different requirements for cruise ships that stop there compared to those that travel by air.  Canada is an example of this.  They require no test to enter by land or air but they require any cruise stopping there to require a pre-cruise test.   So just because you can fly to the Bahamas without a test does not mean they don't still require one for cruise passengers.

Maybe Carnival shouldn't have told everyone we did not need one then.  Frankly, it's crap like this that pisses off customers.  I have not returned to many companies over policies that I did not like.  

15 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Maybe Carnival shouldn't have told everyone we did not need one then.  Frankly, it's crap like this that pisses off customers.  I have not returned to many companies over policies that I did not like.  

Carnival has been clear since this change was announced that this was subject to any requirements set by the destinations on the itinerary.  We knew this would affect any cruises that stopped in Bermuda and Canada as those two countries have been very up front about their testing requirements but that doesn't mean anyone should have assumed those would be the only two countries with requirements.  

Cruise lines are trying to navigate so many different requirements set by different countries while still balancing customers' willingness to comply with protocols, taking reasonable precautions for passenger safety, and making money so they can try to pay off all their debts and start to turn a profit.

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

The testing requirements clarification for the Bahamas and Grand Cayman will catch many by surprise. I would guess at least 1/2 of the Carnival cruises of 5 days or less stop in the Bahamas.

Even though they posted the clarification yesterday on the website, I expect many people to show up to board with no test results and be denied boarding and scrambling trying to find a place to get tested at the last minute.

It's so weird because our cruise leaves in 48 hours (this Thursday) and we still haven't received any communication via email or otherwise about this, even though it is clearly posted as an update on the website.  Kinda surprised they didn't push out an email especially for those sailing out on Day 1 of the previously announced policy change, as this could lead to a lot of confusion on Thursday as many may be completely unaware that they need a test since the announcement that no test was needed came via email blast, but the change has not been communicated as of yet via that same method.  I am thankful that I am such a logistics nerd that I check various sites every day, but can't imagine most are like me haha.

Edited by carolinablue704

13 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Carnival has been clear since this change was announced that this was subject to any requirements set by the destinations on the itinerary.  We knew this would affect any cruises that stopped in Bermuda and Canada as those two countries have been very up front about their testing requirements but that doesn't mean anyone should have assumed those would be the only two countries with requirements.  

Cruise lines are trying to navigate so many different requirements set by different countries while still balancing customers' willingness to comply with protocols, taking reasonable precautions for passenger safety, and making money so they can try to pay off all their debts and start to turn a profit.

And I still say Carnival should not have made a public announcement or emailed people until they had actually updated their policy in full. That is my opinion as someone who is affected negatively by this change. 

54 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

It is absolutely underhanded and frankly disgusting that they made this big announcement championing the end of testing for most of their cruises and emailed out everybody, then the next day in secret updated their website to say it actually doesn't apply to their #1 destination.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Probably 100% of 5 days or less ( not out of California) go to Bahamas or Grand Cayman.

East Coast go to Nassau, Freepoprt, HMC or Bimini.

The West coast of Florida or New Orleans or Galveston go to Grand Cayman.

There is going to be alot of people missing cruises coming up.

Carnival e-mailed us about our 4 day Bimini cruise in September about no need for testing, with no mention about the Bahamas qualification.

Hopefully if RCI is able to cruise to the Bahamas without the ridiculous testing,enough people complaun or bow out before September.

Edited by bguppies
typo

25 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Probably 100% of 5 days or less ( not out of California) go to Bahamas or Grand Cayman.

East Coast go to Nassau, Freepoprt, HMC or Bimini.

Carnival e-mailed us about our 4 day Bimini cruise in September about no need for testing, with no mention about the Bahamas qualification.

Hopefully if RCI is able to cruise to the Bahamas without the ridiculous testing,enough people complaun or bow out before September.

Five day or less cruises from Mobile, New Orleans and Galveston primarily go to Mexico, so they will still require no testing.

1 hour ago, carolinablue704 said:

It's so weird because our cruise leaves in 48 hours (this Thursday) and we still haven't received any communication via email or otherwise about this, even though it is clearly posted as an update on the website.  Kinda surprised they didn't push out an email especially for those sailing out on Day 1 of the previously announced policy change, as this could lead to a lot of confusion on Thursday as many may be completely unaware that they need a test since the announcement that no test was needed came via email blast, but the change has not been communicated as of yet via that same method.  I am thankful that I am such a logistics nerd that I check various sites every day, but can't imagine most are like me haha.

I would definitely use VeriFLY, if you have not already planned on it. Make sure to upload your test results. It should help you bypass those that are arguing with the personnel at the pier about the testing requirement. You may only have a few dozen other fellow passengers with you at the buffet for the first few hours.

I feel sorry for the workers at the port that will have to feel the brunt of the angry passengers. Most, if not all, do not work for the cruise line, but are the front line workers that have to deal with the mess the cruise lines cause with ever changing policies.  

A lot of this confusion could be resolved if they made sure of all of the requirements before releasing statements trying to keep up with or beat their competition.  Between the lack of staffing, complaints about the food quality, the ever-changing Covid rules, etc., it will be a wonder if anyone decides to cruise again for a long time.

17 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I would definitely use VeriFLY, if you have not already planned on it. Make sure to upload your test results. It should help you bypass those that are arguing with the personnel at the pier about the testing requirement. You may only have a few dozen other fellow passengers with you at the buffet for the first few hours.

I feel sorry for the workers at the port that will have to feel the brunt of the angry passengers. Most, if not all, do not work for the cruise line, but are the front line workers that have to deal with the mess the cruise lines cause with ever changing policies.  

A lot of this confusion could be resolved if they made sure of all of the requirements before releasing statements trying to keep up with or beat their competition.  Between the lack of staffing, complaints about the food quality, the ever-changing Covid rules, etc., it will be a wonder if anyone decides to cruise again for a long time.

Appreciate the response and totally agree with people directing their anger at those who have nothing to do with the situation, as that is both unfair and unfortunate.  We plan to arrive later than normal this time around since we aren't going the suite route, so hoping by 1pm we will avoid all the craziness and walk right onboard with our room ready to go, but if not, all good, as I know all the bar locations by heart!

No one has mentioned the fact that up until yesterday, we could take the at-home antigen tests 3 days in advance if we are up to date on the vaccine (i.e. boosted). Now it looks like the at-home test can only be taken 2 days in advance. My family had planned to take our tests this Thursday, which will be 3 days. Good thing I noticed the change. I imagine not everyone is as anal as I am, though. This is going to cause problems for some people.

From the website: * BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, CANADA, AND GRAND CAYMAN: Pre-cruise testing requirements remain in place for ALL guests on ALL itineraries which include Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, and Grand Cayman. Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada can take either a PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with destination regulations.

4 hours ago, bguppies said:

Probably 100% of 5 days or less ( not out of California) go to Bahamas or Grand Cayman.East Coast go to Nassau, Freepoprt, HMC or Bimini.

Um, nope. 5 nighters out of Galveston and New Orleans go to Mexico ONLY.

That said, it's going to be a Cluster at the docks in a couple days.

Edited by jsglow

16 minutes ago, JessieMae said:

No one has mentioned the fact that up until yesterday, we could take the at-home antigen tests 3 days in advance if we are up to date on the vaccine (i.e. boosted). Now it looks like the at-home test can only be taken 2 days in advance. My family had planned to take our tests this Thursday, which will be 3 days. Good thing I noticed the change. I imagine not everyone is as anal as I am, though. This is going to cause problems for some people.

From the website: * BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, CANADA, AND GRAND CAYMAN: Pre-cruise testing requirements remain in place for ALL guests on ALL itineraries which include Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, and Grand Cayman. Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada can take either a PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with destination regulations.

Okay, so if I'm doing an at-home proctored test then I need to do it 2 days before embarkation?  Just want to make sure, because I didn't notice this as well.  UGH!

20 minutes ago, JessieMae said:

Where are you cruising to?  The 72 hours for PCR/2 days for antigen seems to only apply to Canada and Bermuda.  This has been a Canada requirement for a while.  (I haven't followed Bermuda requirements.). For other itineraries (including the Bahamas), it seems to still be a 3 day requirement.