Walkie Talkies

m8zenblue

It has been mentioned about regional laws, i.e. UK and US use different frequencies for licence free radios, but that is irrelevant when out at sea, since maritime law rues, and there are very strict rules regarding radio communications.

Unlicenced radios may also cause interference with shipboard systems, affecting everybody's safety.

8 minutes ago, ivanidea said:

It has been mentioned about regional laws, i.e. UK and US use different frequencies for licence free radios, but that is irrelevant when out at sea, since maritime law rues, and there are very strict rules regarding radio communications.

Unlicenced radios may also cause interference with shipboard systems, affecting everybody's safety.

I am pretty confident that if they really presented a safety hazard that the cruise lines would ban them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it acceptable to throw someone's walkie talkie overboard into the ocean? 😂

No.  Bad for the environment. The nearest trash can? You bet.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, Jim_Iain said:

While not prohibited, many reports by others cruisers that they find them annoying unless user uses ear phones or keeps the volume down.

Just like cell phones!   Nothing worse than grand parents catching up with grandkids on Facetime using speakerphone in the Retreat lounge (or anywhere other than their cabin).

53 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I am pretty confident that if they really presented a safety hazard that the cruise lines would ban them.

+1 to that.  Geek time.

Cruise ships don't use GMRS frequencies (462/467MHz) shipboard and a quick bit of math says the lower harmonics aren't even an issue for the S&R downlink satellite signals (1544 -1545MHz) -- not that the ship is listening to those, anyway.

@ivanidea

Nope.  Not a safety issue.

On 7/31/2022 at 12:47 PM, m8zenblue said:

I have seen this posted somewhere previously.

Are walkie talkies acceptable ?

Seems like a very good form of communication device.

But, I see in the prohibited items walkie talkies are not contraband.

I think I read that some passengers object to people using walkie talkies.

I find they work fine to locate your partner if you wake on different schedules. As a constant form of communication, they're a bit annoying to others, particularly CruiseCritic members.. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1