Ketchup

shipgeeks

Do you use ketchup?  What do you put it on?

In spite of growing up near the original Heinz factory (I still have my pickle pin from school tour), my family only used ketchup for the occasional hot dog or hamburger.  I have since learned that some use it on fries and scrambled eggs.  I see huge dispensers in the buffet.  I've never bought any for home use.  If I enhance my baked beans, I use bbq sauce, onions, and peppers.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything!  Should I??  What does it enhance for you, at home or on a cruise?

• Like 1

I use Ketchup on French Fries, in a Meat Loaf mixture, in my Baked Beans mixture, and if I don't have a seafood cocktail style sauce, for Shrimp and sometimes for Fried Fish.  Ketchup on a Hot Dog and a Hamburger is acceptable, but, I prefer Mustard for a Hot Dog and either Mustard and/or Mayo/Miracle Whip on a Hamburger.  Scrambled eggs?  No Ketchup.  

Your suggestion of using BBQ sauce in Baked Beans is an idea that I have heard before.  I may try that.  I wonder if BBQ sauce would be a good substitute for Ketchup and a steak sauce of some kind (like A-1 or Heinz 57) in my Meat Loaf mixture?

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

growing up near the original Heinz factory (I still have my pickle pin from school tour),

That must have been an interesting tour.  I remember being able to go on industrial tours and, in one case--a tour of an auto factory--being surprised at what I learned.  Visited a Green Giant packing plant in Rochester, Minnesota one Summer where canned vegetables were being packed.  Visited a GM factory in Ypsilanti, Michigan a few months after I had purchased a car that had been assembled there.  My car's brand was among one or two of other GM car brands of the same type that rolled down the assembly line.  That was eye-opening for me.  

47 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

in your entire life no one ate fries with ketchup in your presence?  

Maybe within the same restaurant, without my noticing.  Within my family and friends, no, never.

Do you?  Doesn't it make them soggy?  Salt is my essential, although I enjoy a bit of malt vinegar if I'm also eating fried fish.

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

Maybe within the same restaurant, without my noticing.  Within my family and friends, no, never.

Do you?  Doesn't it make them soggy?  Salt is my essential, although I enjoy a bit of malt vinegar if I'm also eating fried fish.

on fries, yes, not always, but often.  less soggy than malt vinegar.  Never on eggs for me but I know other people do

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Ketchup does not make the Fries soggy.  "Salt with your Fries"?  Yes.  Malt vinegar is appropriate for a Fish and Chips entree.  Malt vinegar at other times for Fries?  I wouldn't think of using that.  

We have a difference of opinion!  

4 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

on fries, yes, not always, but often.  less soggy than malt vinegar.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Ketchup does not make the Fries soggy.

Maybe the "sogginess" has to do with the amount of the condiment used?  

I agree that Malt Vinegar can make the Fries too soggy for my preference.  When I use it, it is very sparingly.  

Edited by rkacruiser

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

In spite of growing up near the original Heinz factory (I still have my pickle pin from school tour),

I remember getting the pin at the 1964 World Fair in NYC...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree that Malt Vinegar can make the Fries too soggy for my preference.  When I use it, it is very sparingly.  

We use it on Fries with Fish & Chips. Also on Fish too besides homemade tartar sauce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

In spite of growing up near the original Heinz factory

Unfortunately I don't want to knock any company but we have the BEST ketchup in the USA.

Made in Brooklyn.....Sir Kensington Ketchup. It taste like the tomatoes out of the garden. I have converted many ketchup lovers to this brand. Very little of the stuff commercial companies put into it.

It's the only KC used in the house for Hamburgers, Meatloaf, Salad Dressings and many, many and many more dishes. I love just take a spoon full to taste.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I don't want to knock any company but we have the BEST ketchup in the USA.

Made in Brooklyn.....Sir Kensington Ketchup. It taste like the tomatoes out of the garden. I have converted many ketchup lovers to this brand. Very little of the stuff commercial companies put into it.

It's the only KC used in the house for Hamburgers, Meatloaf, Salad Dressings and many, many and many more dishes. I love just take a spoon full to taste.

ketchup isn't really supposed to taste like tomatoes fresh out of the garden.  But I'm intrigued and may need to try it at some point

35 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

ketchup isn't really supposed to taste like tomatoes fresh out of the garden.  But I'm intrigued and may need to try it at some point

Once you try it and the ingredients in the prep it all works together.

Meaning out the garden is fresh and different from commercial preps with additives and extenders. 

Hunt's Ketchup is the brand that I prefer.  Tried the rest; Hunt's the best.  

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

homemade tartar sauce.

Not going to try to make homemade Tartar Sauce.  For some reason, the commercial brands of Tartar Sauce seem to be changing their recipes.  (Or, is it my taste is changing?)  Hellman's was my preferred brand.  Then, I migrated to Frisch's.  Now, I don't care for it as much as did.  This may be strange, but, there was a brand of frozen fish fillets that included a packet of ingredients when mixed with mayo made a decent Tartar Sauce.  Not sure that is still available.   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not going to try to make homemade Tartar Sauce.  For some reason, the commercial brands of Tartar Sauce seem to be changing their recipes.  (Or, is it my taste is changing?)  Hellman's was my preferred brand.  Then, I migrated to Frisch's.  Now, I don't care for it as much as did.  This may be strange, but, there was a brand of frozen fish fillets that included a packet of ingredients when mixed with mayo made a decent Tartar Sauce.  Not sure that is still available.   

Not This House - Bottled KC........we like speciality and different.

Enjoy making TS homemade. Adds a fresh flavor. Enjoy and a few ingredients I use.

The only commerical TS we use to like was the one Nathan Famous Hot Dog in Coney Island use to use. For their Seafood Section like Fried Shrimps, Scallops, Soft Shell Crab etc....

Agree with Hellman's Mayo. Once got confused with Salad Dressing in the Mayo section, Oh Boy!

I think it's a European thing.

Are you talking about Mrs Paul's FS.....We like them but prefer the local Seafood store FS..Not popular Gordon's.

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Are you talking about Mrs Paul's FS.....We like them but prefer the local Seafood store FS..Not popular Gordon's.

Gorton's doesn't have those packets in their products.  It may have been Mrs. Paul's (haven't seen that brand in the grocery for awhile) or Van De Kamp's.  

How about views about seafood cocktail sauce?  

Dayton once had a very popular local restaurant owned and operated by a female Chef and her family called The Barnsider.  After years of operation, she closed the restaurant and started a new restaurant by a different name in a part of our community that was growing.  Her recipes were used in the new restaurant and it was almost as popular as her previous one was.  One of her specialties was a seafood cocktail sauce that was so popular that it was marketed by our upscale grocer.  The sauce contained a good deal of Horseradish (according to my taste).  I like Horseradish, but, some times I thought it overwhelmed the seafood that I was eating.  Some that I have tried seem so bland that they are just a step or so above Ketchup.  

What do you prefer?  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I accidentally got ketchup in my eyes.  I now have Heinzsight.

I like it!  Thanks!  

On 8/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

How about views about seafood cocktail sauce?  

No response to my previous question, so I will try again.

And, let's add Tarter Sauce to the discussion.  

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

OK.  But, why ought I go to the trouble to do so?  

Once you try it you will know.

Mayo, Homemade Farm Pickle Relish, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Fresh Dill.....definitely different...

Great with Fried Shrimps, Scallops, Soft Shell Crabs, Fried Filet, etc......

• Thanks 1

Homemade Farm Pickle Relish,

Fresh Dill

This is not realistic for me.  Homemade farm pickle relish, fresh Dill?  Available for you, but not for me.  

On 8/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Once you try it you will know.

Mayo, Homemade Farm Pickle Relish, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Fresh Dill.....definitely different...

Great with Fried Shrimps, Scallops, Soft Shell Crabs, Fried Filet, etc......

And a few chopped capers and a tiny touch of mashed garlic!