On board testing to comply with another cruise line requirement

clojacks

We are sailing on celebrity in January, and the same day we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale, we are boarding a Norwegian cruise in Miami. NCL still requires a negative test before sailing, but we will only have a few hours between cruises and about 30 miles! Has anyone heard of Celebrity offering on board proctoring of COVID test or have any suggestions beyond cancelling our Norwegian cruise through the Panama Canal?

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

January? I wouldn't even begin thinking about this until December. 

Simple solution is do an online test on your last day or early morning in port. There are also 6 months for the rules to change. 

You might not Jeremiah, but that is well after our final payment. So, in my opinion, we don't have 6 months, but about 3. It does sound, in just talking to NCL, that we can do a virtual proctored test on board Celebrity, so we will look into that.

4 minutes ago, clojacks said:

You might not Jeremiah, but that is well after our final payment. So, in my opinion, we don't have 6 months, but about 3. It does sound, in just talking to NCL, that we can do a virtual proctored test on board Celebrity, so we will look into that.

Perhaps NCL will test you prior to boarding??

What I've seen and heard is that Celebrity will test on-board only for consecutive cruiser on Celebrity and RCL

While you only have a couple hours to connect  to your next you will have 2 days in which to have your test done.   The home tests with either eMed or one of the proctoring services using any test may be your best alternative.    You could try while at see if you have a premium service or wait until morning of arrival and take it using you Cellular Phone  (if you are comfortable with technology and phone has the capabilities. ).  

Services like OnPoint Testing uses Zoom and  up to 4  can test at the same time, using any brand of home tests (must be unopened box)

6 hours ago, clojacks said:

We are sailing on celebrity in January, and the same day we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale, we are boarding a Norwegian cruise in Miami. NCL still requires a negative test before sailing, but we will only have a few hours between cruises and about 30 miles! Has anyone heard of Celebrity offering on board proctoring of COVID test or have any suggestions beyond cancelling our Norwegian cruise through the Panama Canal?

We were aboard the Equinox and Summit last year -- and the Reflection this year (many months ago) ... and we feel almost certain that Celebrity was then offering free tests, on the final full day of each cruise arriving in the U.S., not just to back-to-back guests, but also to Europeans who were required (by their home nations) to pass such tests before flying home.  That's not quite the case for you, Telly "Clojacks" Savalas, but your special case may allow for the same courtesy to be afforded to you by Celebrity.

As we mentioned, these events (if they really happened -- and are not figments of our imaginations) occurred months ago, and Celebrity may no longer be making such an offer to "foreigners."  Nevertheless, we think that it would be worthwhile for you,  "clojacks," to contact Celebrity and see if they will test you for your immediate-future travel (due to your pressing circumstances).

Maybe they will do it for free.

Maybe they will do it if you pay them.

Maybe they will not do it at all.

If they will not do it, then you could consider the following (if it is still available), which are notes that we jotted down, based on comments that someone posted here, several months ago:

"In an emergency, a very rapid (30-minute) CoViD-19 test can be had for about $80 at Instant Medical Care (1328 SE 17th St., Fort Lauderdale -- 954-200-6001).  IMC is open from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Saturday.  It is very close [5-minute drive?] to Port Everglades (cruiseport) -- in a small strip mall between Walgreens and the Embassy Suites Hotel, just north of the ship's terminal.  [Use Google to pinpoint it.]  The test result is provided in a hard-copy form that is acceptable to Celebrity."

CAUTION:  We did not use IMC, and we cannot guarantee that the above is accurate or up-to-date. 

GOOD LUCK, Telly.  We hope that you will make it through the unforgettable Panama Canal!

@jg51

You remember correctly - Disembarkation tests, first offered onboard, later just handed out at the pier (cynically assumed to be so that you weren't still Celebrity's problem), were for those needing to test prior to an airline flight. 

That said, while we heard of the very rare exception (anecdotal) during the worst of the restart, RCCL/CEL were generally publicizing and offering pre-disembarkation testing for only side-side cruises on the two lines' own ships.

If at all possible given WiFi considerations, I'd be taking along a test that could be proctored to get the deed done the day before disembarkation.  Worst case, if not comfortable with the process, one could ask for an assist with the technology ahead of time in the iLounge.

I doubt Celebrity at this time or in January is/will be offering tests for a scenario like yours.  It might have been possible to convince someone earlier in on the restart when people needed tests at the end for so many different reasons but testing is now winding down and Celebrity doesn’t want to be responsible for anymore positive cases than absolutely necessary. 

An alternative to the home tests others have suggested may be to have your Uber/taxi stop at LabDoctor (assuming they are still testing) which is very close to the Ft Lauderdale cruise port and very fast. 

21 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

You're talking about January. I doubt there will be any needed testing by then. Even Michael Bayley said it would probably end in 45 to 60 days if not sooner.

Not found in the recent (7/28) press release.  Was there an interview I missed?

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

<snip>  If they will not do it, then you could consider the following (if it is still available), which are notes that we jotted down, based on comments that someone posted here, several months ago:

"In an emergency, a very rapid (30-minute) CoViD-19 test can be had for about $80 at Instant Medical Care.  IMC is open from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Saturday.  It is very close to Port Everglades in a small strip mall between Walgreens and the Embassy Suites Hotel, just north of the ship's terminal.  The test result is provided in a hard-copy form that is acceptable to Celebrity."

<snip>

Providing testing will still be required at the time of your cruise, does NCL allow the testing to be done the same day as embarkation? From the guidelines referenced in post # 7, does "within two days of the embarkation date" include the day of departure?

1 hour ago, canderson said:

@jg51

You remember correctly - Disembarkation tests, first offered onboard, later just handed out at the pier (cynically assumed to be so that you weren't still Celebrity's problem), were for those needing to test prior to an airline flight. 

That said, while we heard of the very rare exception (anecdotal) during the worst of the restart, RCCL/CEL were generally publicizing and offering pre-disembarkation testing for only side-side cruises on the two lines' own ships.

If at all possible given WiFi considerations, I'd be taking along a test that could be proctored to get the deed done the day before disembarkation.  Worst case, if not comfortable with the process, one could ask for an assist with the technology ahead of time in the iLounge.

While wifi could be fine any part of the day, if they wait until 9pm, that is their best odds of not getting disconnected

9 hours ago, clojacks said:

It's very unlikely that Celebrity will be of any help and that you will be on your own. I think the simplest suggestion is to do an online proctored test early in the morning prior to disembarking Celebrity. This is assuming testing will still be required by January.

14 hours ago, jelayne said:

Since you will be moving to NCL maybe they can provide the test so you can board their ship.

If the cruises were reverse, do you think Celebrity would help me? I'm not asking any of the cruises to provide help, but rather have been asking for suggestions on how to accomplish what I need to get done. The suggestions of virtual proctoring, which I hadn't considered, appears to be a reasonable option.

40 minutes ago, clojacks said:

If the cruises were reverse, do you think Celebrity would help me? I'm not asking any of the cruises to provide help, but rather have been asking for suggestions on how to accomplish what I need to get done. The suggestions of virtual proctoring, which I hadn't considered, appears to be a reasonable option.

In my mind, you have 4 options:

1. Find a testing location at your final port stop on cruise 1
  2. Find a testing location in Ft Lauderdale after disembarking X
  3. Find a testing location in Miami prior to embarking NCL
  4. Take a proctored self-test online

The first 3 options will be costlier and far more time consuming than option 4.