The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Tomorrow DH and i are going down to Jacksonville to the Mayo Clinic.  I am getting an X-ray of my right knee and injections in both my right knee and my left hand on Thursday morning.

I have to wait three weeks for the injection in my right hand.  Can’t have too much steroids at once.

When we were in Rome, our room had a small balcony with two chairs and a small glass table. i went out there one day and bumped into the table with my right knee. That was in addition to the pain I was having in the back of my legs after Covid.  It swelled up like a balloon and has been hurting me ever since.  I had ACL surgery on this knee back in 1984 so it has always been a problem.  Of late it has been more of a problem.  So I am having an X-ray to make sure it’s okay and then an injection.

I will be glad to get some relief on Thursday.  Everything takes so long

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@kazu I have a question.  I know absolutely nothing about training dogs so I'm curious why you use a different name ("Little") for training?  What happens if you only use the dog's original name?  I'm enjoying following along and learning about the process for Shadow.

Thanks!

~Nancy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@Cruzin Terri I think your very orange sunsets must be caused by the same dust that @MISTER 67 has been talking about.

And this site is possessed I did not try to make this bold.

Wont be on in the morning.  DH and I both have appointments with a new dermatologist.  Ours (who really took very good care of Chuck and the cancer,  quit and moved to TX)  So now we get a new one.

Its on the other side of town, and I have no idea how to get there.  Map Quest puts the office in the middle of 285.  ????

We do have water, but I would not recommend drinking it for a few days.  The dog's Mom still doesn't have water, has something to do with something she needs to change in her house, so the water company is sending a plumber over to her tomorrow.  I just hope that nothing else breaks down and we can get to the doctor tomorrow.

Hugs to you all!

Good luck with your new dermatologist today.

Graham 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Tomorrow DH and i are going down to Jacksonville to the Mayo Clinic.  I am getting an X-ray of my right knee and injections in both my right knee and my left hand on Thursday morning.

I have to wait three weeks for the injection in my right hand.  Can’t have too much steroids at once.

When we were in Rome, our room had a small balcony with two chairs and a small glass table. i went out there one day and bumped into the table with my right knee. That was in addition to the pain I was having in the back of my legs after Covid.  It swelled up like a balloon and has been hurting me ever since.  I had ACL surgery on this knee back in 1984 so it has always been a problem.  Of late it has been more of a problem.  So I am having an X-ray to make sure it’s okay and then an injection.

I will be glad to get some relief on Thursday.  Everything takes so long

Terri

Very best wishes Terri for your visit to the Mayo clinic and for your steroid injections on Thursday.

Graham 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

@kazu I have a question.  I know absolutely nothing about training dogs so I'm curious why you use a different name ("Little") for training?  What happens if you only use the dog's original name?  I'm enjoying following along and learning about the process for Shadow.

Thanks!

~Nancy

Shadow doesn’t have the same lilt in the voice.  It’s a downward one whereas little is an upwards one.  Right now I am trying to get this dog engaged and excited to come see me and do things.  Little can be said with an upwards lilt in your voice (which is cheerful) which encourages them.  Shadow can’t.  

I did the same thing with my other rescue.  Her name was Fox (horrible name for training - you need 2 syllables) although a great name for a dog.  I called her Little whenever she was frightened on a walk to get her attention and she would focus and carry on.  (She was ‘little” to me compared to the other 2 big dogs - so that’s how it started and when I saw the response I started to use it).

@marshhawkbest wishes for today’s visit with your new doctor.

@Cruzin Terriglad you are getting seen at the clinic.  Best of luck with them helping you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9

@kazu We rescued Bertie about 6 years ago, the vet told us he was about 1 1/2 years old.  Apparently his name was Hercules, but we decided to change it.  A new life and a new name.  With food (he was really skinny and malnourished when we got him) he responded willingly to the new name.  I don't think he'd respond to "Herc" now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ann @marshhawkgood luck finding the new dermatologist office.  I know I like to know exactly how to get somewhere new before I'm in a car with traffic trying to locate it.  Also I hope the water problem is over now and boiling water for usage is short lived.

Terri @Cruzin Terrihopefully your Mayo visit can take care of your knee problem and you can hold out a few days for a hand injection.  Safe travels!

Jacqui @kazuinteresting about the 2 syllable names and the up or down inflection being important.  Thanks for that explanation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Shadow doesn’t have the same lilt in the voice.  It’s a downward one whereas little is an upwards one.  Right now I am trying to get this dog engaged and excited to come see me and do things.  Little can be said with an upwards lilt in your voice (which is cheerful) which encourages them.  Shadow can’t.  

I did the same thing with my other rescue.  Her name was Fox (horrible name for training - you need 2 syllables) although a great name for a dog.  I called her Little whenever she was frightened on a walk to get her attention and she would focus and carry on.  (She was ‘little” to me compared to the other 2 big dogs - so that’s how it started and when I saw the response I started to use it).

We have friends with seven children. When they are in a large group setting and the father is attempting to get the attention of all of them, he will use the term "offspring" loudly. 'Hey kids', or 'children' doesn't work because it is easy to ignore and assume somebody else is being addressed. They respond to offspring, and once he has their attention, he is able to give direction. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, deepu007 said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

We took this picture before reaching Icy strait point, Alaska on Eurodam (july 30th from seattle_.

do any one on that cruise or experts know the glacier?

thank you,

glaciar.jpg

Please note that Eurodam stopped here for awhile and it rained on and off.

• Like 1