Edge class - Fixed Dining versus Anytime Dining

MarkWiltonM

I just booked on Apex with fixed early dining but I seem to remember that if you want to sample all four of the main dining rooms you have to choose Anytime Dining. Is this still the case? If I keep fixed dining, how do I specify which of the four dining rooms I want to be in?

I don’t believe you will be able to specify one, but your dining room will be assigned.  In the months of lower passenger numbers, it has been reported that you can request the Maitre d’ in your assigned dining room arrange for you to dine in one of the others on a future night.  Who knows if this will be possible once the ship is sailing at capacity,

Even if you are dining in one dining room, it is possible to request some of the exclusive items from the others.  Except for the exclusives, the remainder of the menus are identical.

15 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I just booked on Apex with fixed early dining but I seem to remember that if you want to sample all four of the main dining rooms you have to choose Anytime Dining. Is this still the case? If I keep fixed dining, how do I specify which of the four dining rooms I want to be in?

I have anytime dining for an upcoming cruise in October.  In my CP I was able to reserve a time in each of the four MDR's on EDGE, though I seem to recall a post a while back saying this was not allowed but I was able to do it and it was added to the CP calendar.  I did not do this though for the menu in each, rather I did it because I want to experience dining in each of the different theme restaurants. 

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

In my CP I was able to reserve a time in each of the four MDR's on EDGE, though I seem to recall a post a while back saying this was not allowed

I can't imagine that was correct. Why wouldn't you be allowed to make dining reservations using the CP's dining reservation engine?

Edited by RichYak

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

I can't imagine that was correct. Why wouldn't you be allowed to make dining reservations using the CP's dining reservation engine?

If you have Select( Anytime Dining) you can  are reservations in any of the 4 MDRs.

With Traditional ( Fixed) you have either a early or late set time, have a assigned table and wait staff in one of the MDRs, there is no need for reservations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If you have Select( Anytime Dining) you can  are reservations in any of the 4 MDRs.

With Traditional ( Fixed) you have either a early or late set time, have a assigned table and wait staff in one of the MDRs, there is no need for reservations.

Agreed. @LGW59 has Select, so I question why they thought it might not be permitted.

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Agreed. @LGW59 has Select, so I question why they thought it might not be permitted.

Well I was able to make the 4 reservations I wanted, which when I decided to do it I was thinking I'd just give it a try and would probably not be able to.  I was just saying that I thought I had seen a previous thread here that it was not allowed as that was the point of anytime dining.  

I’ll post from using Traditional/Set And Anytime dining on Edge/Apex.

Using Set time on Edge, I selected one MDR prior with a set time. When I got on board, dined then, and stepped up to the Matre de and asked to dine in another MDR the next night. He set it up, no problem. On the 2nd night, the woman at the check in set us up for  the other 2. And so on. No Prob at all. In fact, I oould change times also.

For Anytime, I was able to do it on the App or by phone and so on. 

No real difference. I didn’t try the phone for Set Dining cruises, but it wasnt an issue…..for me.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On EDGE it was easy for us..we had anytime and booked res for diff venues at the same set time,  Worst was the first night b/c we booked the  restaurant where the set diners started out..too crowded and chaotic.  Tuscan and the Cyprus are smaller than the other two..all  had great food!

I know most understand the 4 MDRs have the same menus and add a few special app’s and entrees based on their venue, but its also fun to try the different MDRs atmospheres. Each a bit different and feel. 

Den

1)  Call X and request anytime dining

2)  If they say no, once you board the ship immediately ask where the MDR M'D is and see if they'll change you to anytime

3)  If you're stuck with traditional, you will be assigned one MDR and table at random

4)  If you have traditional, you will need to talk to your M'D in order to visit other MDRs