Be Aware of Payments to P&O

Jethro26

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I think you referring to an older generation, I had a credit card when I opened my first bank account and I am in my sixties, you wouldn't get far if you visited the states and tried to hire a car.

I use my credit card now for most day to day spending and find it quite easy to monitor my spending on the card website, but always pay the monthly bill in full. However I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford even major items like paying the alance on our cruises.

I do understand that not everyone will be in the same position. But I stil feel that using a credit card wisely could be very beneficial to most people.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

Needs to be a direct debit. SO is a fixed amount. The principle is good nevertheless. 

I rang the card provider up and asked for them to set up a full balance payment every month .

The balance can be £9 ,£90 or £900 ,they just take it . Had this set up for years like this .

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

I rang the card provider up and asked for them to set up a full balance payment every month .

The balance can be £9 ,£90 or £900 ,they just take it . Had this set up for years like this .

Ditto. All my credit cards, whatever the balance is, are paid off in full each month. It is especially useful when away on a long holiday…… (those were the days - sigh).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Satellite city said:

Don’t remind me,  it had been going on for decades before, I remember the complaints we got all too vividly.

to be fair it was a bit of a nasty move by the petrol stations, aimed at preventing drive offs on unmanned forecourts

I have always wondered why petrol stations do not use the American System. Go in, pay what you want and come out and fill up to that amount and it then cuts off. Simple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

I have always wondered why petrol stations do not use the American System. Go in, pay what you want and come out and fill up to that amount and it then cuts off. Simple.

They do effectively, the pay at pump system authorises up the £99, and then charges what you put in. But you can also specify a certain amount, at least in our Sainsburies filling station, and the pump cuts off when you reach it.

Edited by terrierjohn

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They do effectively, the pay at pump system authorises up the £99, and then charges what you put in. But you can also specify a certain amount, at least in our Sainsburies filling station, and the pump cuts off when you reach it.

I noticed at Costco this week, they now authorise £120.

13 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I noticed at Costco this week, they now authorise £120.

Wait until you check out the price on the tyre pumps ...

That's inflation for you 😉😇

• Haha 7

On 8/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Yorkypete said:

They do that if you go to supermarkets called pay at pump

24 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Most credit card limits are around £1000, or £1500 or even £3000 that I have on mine, so I can't see that the minor amounts on the ship, like your daily drinks etc could matter one bit?

Very easy to go over those limits.  A full drinks package alone for two adults purchased onboard would be over £1100 for a two week cruise, let alone any additional dining charges or purchases in the shops. (Assuming no discounts)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Very easy to go over those limits.  A full drinks package alone for two adults purchased onboard would be over £1100 for a two week cruise, let alone any additional dining charges or purchases in the shops. (Assuming no discounts)

Agree it is very easy to go over limits. The important thing is to know how much money is in your bank account at a given time and how much has been spent using a credit card during any given month. It simply comes down to managing your money properly and only spend what you can afford.

• Like 1

My M&S credit card had a limit of £8000.00 and I use it for nearly all purchases, including all cruises and other holidays. I pay the balance off in full each month. I recently paid the balance for our Eastern Med cruise in September (5k). The points from that will be included in my Nov statement. I get vouchers with each statement and judging by the amount I received with my August statement today (£41), I should have an even bigger amount, just in time for Christmas. They can be used for groceries, clothes and home purchases. Works well for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Ah yes well, that's why I don't have the drinks package  🤣   Our drinks bill for 19 nights is usually in the region of £500 having used our OBC.  

We spent more than that in a week on Iona after using our OBC, you can not compare your personal habits with others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

We spent more than that in a week on Iona after using our OBC, you can not compare your personal habits with others.

Everyone's spending habits are all different. It doesn't matter how much you spend as long as you can pay for it when you get home. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Most credit card limits are around £1000, or £1500 or even £3000

Not sure that the term "most" is correct - although I would agree that may be the initial limit when you take out the CC.

My CC has a limit in five figures - and yes I have been known to use a large part of it to pay for holidays.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Most credit card limits are around £1000, or £1500 or even £3000 that I have on mine, so I can't see that the minor amounts on the ship, like your daily drinks etc could matter one bit?

My main credit card is £10,000 and I have a secondary which is £5,000. With only one for £1500, I would never be able to pay off our final balance for the 2 of us, never mind when the family have cruised with us.

7 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

This is why i always have a Cash Account on board not using my Credit card, settled up the night before you embark and you can always top the account up with more cash if you need to. Keep the Credit Card for purchases on shore.

Where do you get the cash from?

Brian

On 8/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, wowzz said:

Don't you just hate ageism ? My mum flashes her credit card everywhere,  and she is only 95! 

I suggest you read Megabear's posts regarding medical issues onboard.  

Without a credit card with a generous credit limit, you will have serious issues should you need medical treatment. 

Yep my mum is 83 and pays for nearly everything on her M&S card, always pays it off every month though. She likes her M&S points!

My Dad is 85 and like a sulky teenager the other day when he couldn’t get his new tablet to work 😆

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

From Cash Machines in the ports you stop at or if you want at the start put a lot more Cash in your Account than you expect to spend onboard.

So you use your card to get cash from an ATM and use that cash to pay your on board account. Inevitably, you will have some cash left over. Much simpler to use your card on board and pay the exact amount owing.

Brian

• Like 3