Be Aware of Payments to P&O

Jethro26

We have just returned from Norway on the Iona. This was cruise number 34 with P&O. Since we began cruising again post covid, I noticed last year payment notifications began appearing before and during the cruise in my credit card. I understand this is what they term pre authorisation payments. I have no problems with this until I have returned. on this cruise I decided to buy a watch for a milestone birthday for my husband so my on board bill was higher than usual. I have only a smallish credit limit at my own request as it’s used only for parking app and cruises. This morning my card was declined as I was apparently well over my credit limit. The final bill was taken out overnight and paid off immediately. All the pre authorisation payment were still shown pending according to my credit card company and until cancelled they affected my credit limit. I.e until P&O cancelled them, I effectively still owed that money. On finally getting through I was told the system they used would cancel these in 5-7 working days (if I’m lucky)when their books ‘balanced up’ and it was a credit card issue. NO P&O, it’s your system issue. On garnering that outstanding payment your system should withdraw those pending payments. I now cannot use my card until these have been cancelled. Anyone else had this issue?

Yes, but not with P&O.    Took £250 off a debit card.   Due to drink package and having been on the particular ship previously, I didn't spend anything ... well £17, but I paid that off by cash.   Nearly two weeks later, and the balance on a different cruise line pending, I went ballistic.   Payment refunded within 24 hours + a refund of the list of charges I had incurred as a result of dipping into an overdraft.   Personal email apology from the top (well, the UK top).

2 hours ago, Jethro26 said:

We have just returned from Norway on the Iona. This was cruise number 34 with P&O. Since we began cruising again post covid, I noticed last year payment notifications began appearing before and during the cruise in my credit card. I understand this is what they term pre authorisation payments. I have no problems with this until I have returned. on this cruise I decided to buy a watch for a milestone birthday for my husband so my on board bill was higher than usual. I have only a smallish credit limit at my own request as it’s used only for parking app and cruises. This morning my card was declined as I was apparently well over my credit limit. The final bill was taken out overnight and paid off immediately. All the pre authorisation payment were still shown pending according to my credit card company and until cancelled they affected my credit limit. I.e until P&O cancelled them, I effectively still owed that money. On finally getting through I was told the system they used would cancel these in 5-7 working days (if I’m lucky)when their books ‘balanced up’ and it was a credit card issue. NO P&O, it’s your system issue. On garnering that outstanding payment your system should withdraw those pending payments. I now cannot use my card until these have been cancelled. Anyone else had this issue?

Yes, with Cunard, a few years ago - a disgraceful and invasive practice!

The amount stays pending until it is called upon.  I booked holiday accommodation and a hotel back in March which didn't need paying for at the time, but the amounts were pending until I checked in and paid for the stays in July.

This is a well known issue and it is not of P&O's making it is the way in which some credit card companies operate.

We were on a cruise back in June and yes the daily spend was authorised on my card but when the final account was applied to the card all the pre-authorisations disappeared and did not affect my credit limit.

Why it works, as we would expect, with some CC companies and not others I have no idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jazzytelly said:

But the OP said it was a Credit Card

Indeed, my point was if you use a debit card the same will happen and many won't want their disposable cash held for days.  Remember the pay at pump in supermarkets furore when they held £100 even if you bought £10.00 of fuel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david63 said:

This is a well known issue and it is not of P&O's making it is the way in which some credit card companies operate.

We were on a cruise back in June and yes the daily spend was authorised on my card but when the final account was applied to the card all the pre-authorisations disappeared and did not affect my credit limit.

Why it works, as we would expect, with some CC companies and not others I have no idea.

If that’s the case, why don’t p and o change the way their systems work?

surely they are initiating something that can be done a different way?

my suggestion would be you have a daily payment taken every day so from midnight to 23:59 goes on that days bill.  At the end of the cruise you get an itemised bill.  For example: Mr City your on board bill is £300 and it is made up of:

then all they need to do is take the £300, in daily amounts.  

Much simpler?

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Indeed, my point was if you use a debit card the same will happen and many won't want their disposable cash held for days.  Remember the pay at pump in supermarkets furore when they held £100 even if you bought £10.00 of fuel

Yes, I understand it could put a freeze on your bank account, so you could not even turn up at the bank and ask for six fivers.......

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Don’t remind me,  it had been going on for decades before, I remember the complaints we got all too vividly.

to be fair it was a bit of a nasty move by the petrol stations, aimed at preventing drive offs on unmanned forecourts

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Just increase your credit limit on your card. Simples !

Just seems a lot of fuss over nothing.

Assumes people want a credit card or overdraft.  Many of the older generation don’t for example and lots have been brought up not to use credit where possible. Not had credit cards in years, CBA with them

1 minute ago, Satellite city said:

Assumes people want a credit card or overdraft.  Many of the older generation don’t for example and lots have been brought up not to use credit where possible. Not had credit cards in years, CBA with them

Don't you just hate ageism ? My mum flashes her credit card everywhere,  and she is only 95! 

I suggest you read Megabear's posts regarding medical issues onboard.  

Without a credit card with a generous credit limit, you will have serious issues should you need medical treatment. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just increase your credit limit on your card. Simples !

Just seems a lot of fuss over nothing.

Not everyone can get a higher limit that easily though. Banks are much tougher since the financial crash. 

I can well understand the reluctance to go that route just to accommodate a cruise line.  When I mentioned the suggestion from Princess of carrying three high limit credit cards a lot of people said they didn't even have one with such a high limit.  Many may not even qualify to have a card at all as the lending criteria may exclude them.  My mother never had a credit card and used cash and her debit card on every one of her cruises, but in fairness she did sail with me.

It is easy for those of us who want to just ask for higher limits but there are cruisers out there who just want to manage their finances within their set budget. 

Edited by Megabear2
Missed words
  • Like 3

Hotels also reserve funds in advance of arrival.  I have an Italian one booked in December 2019 which has reserved €600 since I booked.  The rooms have been held on to as they are in a small village with very little accommodation where we are attending a concert which has been cancelled three times to date. Hopefully come September we will finally get to use the room.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Satellite city said:

I think you referring to an older generation, I had a credit card when I opened my first bank account and I am in my sixties, you wouldn't get far if you visited the states and tried to hire a car.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I think you referring to an older generation, I had a credit card when I opened my first bank account and I am in my sixties, you wouldn't get far if you visited the states and tried to hire a car.

Fully agree. I think people mix credit (debt) up with owning a credit card .

I have been using them for the last 48 years ,handy for purchase protection 

when buying goods . I have a standing order set to pay in full at end of each month .

I know of plenty of people who do the same ,plenty of savvy pensioners out there .👍

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

when buying goods . I have a standing order set to pay in full at end of each month .

I know of plenty of people who do the same ,plenty of savvy pensioners out there .👍

A few dunderheads as well. We haven't set up a SO, never thought of it, but will do so now.🤔

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

The trouble is the bank may not accept an application from all pensioners.  I have accounts with three banks, none will give me a personal credit card. I was early retired on health grounds and according to the banks am high risk as a result. I do however get to piggy back on my husband's credit cards as a user.  Amex on the other hand do not judge me as I've been a personal and business user with them for nearly 40 years, and as such they kindly let me have accounts with them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A few dunderheads as well. We haven't set up a SO, never thought of it, but will do so now.🤔

Needs to be a direct debit. SO is a fixed amount. The principle is good nevertheless. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1