Viking Mimir stopped due to low water

milling73

Currently on Viking Mimir, Budapest - Amsterdam. The captain informed us tonight that due to low water levels our boat cannot sail past Passau. We will bus to Regensburg and transfer to Viking Vili around that area. 
It is not known if that will be the only boat transfer, but he said there are other areas on Danube and Rhine that may have issues. 

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting. We know it was to be expected, unfortunately. Is it correct that Viking informed you in an e-mail about the possibility a few days before your cruise? It sounds from other posters that Viking now does this routinely when the problem arises.

Viking has a good routine and now several years of experience doing the ship swaps. I am confident it will run smoothly.

If you have got a couple of minutes - perhaps you could describe who leaves the boat with you, i.e. hotel staff or just the cruise director, and what happens to your luggage, like is it going in your transfer coach or separate?

I think it will be appreciated by other cruisers.

19 hours ago, milling73 said:

It is not known if that will be the only boat transfer, but he said there are other areas on Danube and Rhine that may have issues. 

The Main is fine (just to remind people), but the sun deck will likely be closed for a long time. On the Rhine it is the Rhine Gorge stretch that the captain is addressing. It may or may not be too low when you get to the Rhine, uncertain at the moment.

Welcome to Germany and have a great time on the rivers.

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks for reporting. We know it was to be expected, unfortunately. Is it correct that Viking informed you in an e-mail about the possibility a few days before your cruise? It sounds from other posters that Viking now does this routinely when the problem arises.

Viking has a good routine and now several years of experience doing the ship swaps. I am confident it will run smoothly.

If you have got a couple of minutes - perhaps you could describe who leaves the boat with you, i.e. hotel staff or just the cruise director, and what happens to your luggage, like is it going in your transfer coach or separate?

I think it will be appreciated by other cruisers.

The Main is fine (just to remind people), but the sun deck will likely be closed for a long time. On the Rhine it is the Rhine Gorge stretch that the captain is addressing. It may or may not be too low when you get to the Rhine, uncertain at the moment.

Welcome to Germany and have a great time on the rivers.

notamermaid

Our sole experience and it was pre-covid was on the Danube sailing Nuremberg to Budapest. Had we not packed our luggage ourselves and put it out... we might have not noticed the change. Our hotel staff went with us for sure. Can't honestly remember if the wait staff came along, wouldn't be surprised if they did, but don’t believe the chef and his kitchen staff came. For sure the ship's crew remained with their ship.

They fit the whole transfer in as part of a scheduled bus ride that was part of that days excursion. 

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

On our recent Viking Hild/Herja swap the cruise director and three (3) wait staff (one staffer for each of the four buses) came along. Once we re-packed, the luggage was put in the hall and the next time we seen it was in our identical room on the Herja. The luggage is trucked, separately, to the alternate ship. 

Yes. On rooms that is correct. All Viking river boats identical. Today we left by bus …2 1/2 hrs to Regensburg. Walking tour. Lunch paid by Viking. About 2 hr free time, then 2 1/2 hr drive back. Half of the drive so very very scenic, and we see views not seen from river. Up and over these tall hills, hairpin curves, small villages, farms. 
what i am getting at - dont cancel ur trip because U might have to repack or bus. It is not a big deal..in fact almost an added bonus. Viking takes care of everything. Go with the flow and enjoy each incrediblly fun and beautiful day!!!

• Like 4

While we never had to do a ship swap, I remember the first time our tour had to go by bus for a tour. Most of the trip was by scenic routes, and we appreciated seeing the countryside we wouldn't have if we had been on the boat. 

Thanks for all your info!  We are scheduled on Viking Tir in the fall.  May I ask an indelicate question?  Is there a restroom on the buses that you are being transported on?  Hate to ask but I know that there are others wondering as well!   Thanks for your reply.

We didn't travel with Viking, but I know our busses had them. Mind you, they were pretty tiny, and I don't think they were ever used. I think if you are on the bus for more than a couple of hours, it includes a stop for restrooms.

Yes... the Viking coaches have a small toilet near the back on the right. This right where the rear door is. These are coaches as opposed to buses. I.E a school bus or city bus. Think of a bus as being like a 4-door VW Jetta and a coach as more like a Mercedes S600. 😀

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 1

Oh the language difference, in Europe a couch is anything from a 35 to 50 odd seater, if you go up steps in the middle of the vehicle it will have  loo (facilities) and space for luggage. In the U.K. a bus is a double decker, I.e. one row of seats above another as at Lake Havasou City and London Bridge or open toppers now seen world wide. Just watch out if someone says your travelling on a Charabanc!

Now on Viking Vili. We rejoined the Vili at Nurnberg. We did not lose any cities, and most optional excursions took place. I believe Munich was canceled. The buses are very nice - large viewing windows, comfy seats, good legroom, and yes a tiny bathroom that people did use. 
We have enjoyed being on the bus, we see scenery not seen from boat, and more up close views of homes, farms, and villages. Best of 2 ways to travel really. Viking is very efficient in these situations. I advise anyone on upcoming cruise - dont cancel, enjoy the possibly new arrangements, and pack Light!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, milling73 said:

I believe Munich was canceled.

9 hours ago, milling73 said:

We have enjoyed being on the bus, we see scenery not seen from boat, and more up close views of homes, farms, and villages.

You sound in good spirits. Lovely. One does need to see the upside. Munich is easy to reach again on another trip, with its convenient airport. The villages are harder to arrange and reach.

So you will be in Bamberg soon and then be on the Main river. Enjoy, it is full of meanders and vineyards. Old buildings goes without saying 🙂.

notamermaid