Passports

MisterMatthew

Hello.  I hope everyone is well & their August is off to a fine start!

I have done only one cruise in my life & it was in APRIL.  It was to Mexico (aboard Zuiderdam).

Depart:  S.D., Calif

Return:  S.D., Calif

... and, thusly, this was what is called a CLOSED-LOOP cruise.  So, a passport is not required. 

Okay, eventually, I see myself cruising more and such.

How did you folks obtain your passport?  I have seen companies that will expedite "things" for a fee.  Otherwise, is it basically a situation where you need to physically go to a "regional" facility?

---- Matthew

Passports are issued by the US State Dept.  You will need to provide photos and the required identification.  Documentation will be returned with the passport.  As you're not scheduled  to cruise it's the cheapest way to go.  The site should provide an estimate of the return time.

Regards

Mjdenn

Probably don't need to expedite anything if you don't have a cruise booked.  Our initial passport was done starting with paperwork picked up at the Post Office (I believe).  Passport photos done at Walgreens.  We had to renew a couple years ago, and it was easily done through the mail, and I believe we did have to turn in with our current passport - which was returned with a hole punched in it.  I wouldn't go anywhere outside the US without a passport these days.

• Like 1

You can download and print out the forms from the website, then take them to the post office with required documents.  That includes a birth certificate.  Make sure it is a long form, with parents names…and also not the souvenir certificate from the hospital.  I never had a real birth certificate until I was retiring.  Thought social security might want to see one, so I ordered one through Vital Check.  What came was the short form.  But I had had passports since 1970, and used a form that said Notification of Birth Registration.  Not only did it get me my first passport, but it got me into the army twice.  EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Make sure you always use the official websites for these kinds of things such as the ones posted above. There are many sites out there that are not official government sites that are eagerly trying to separate unknowing people from their money!  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Make sure you always use the official websites for these kinds of things such as the ones posted above. There are many sites out there that are not official government sites that are eagerly trying to separate unknowing people from their money!  

Just to add to what oakridger said...

Some of these "express" companies are just out for the money.  Others can be a front to steal your identity.  I always use the government sites.  My sister recently had to get my nephew a new passport (change from minor to adult) and the government themselves offer an expedited service for a fee.  So there really isn't a reason to use a 3rd party company.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Hello.  I hope everyone is well & their August is off to a fine start!

I have done only one cruise in my life & it was in APRIL.  It was to Mexico (aboard Zuiderdam).

Depart:  S.D., Calif

Return:  S.D., Calif

... and, thusly, this was what is called a CLOSED-LOOP cruise.  So, a passport is not required. 

Okay, eventually, I see myself cruising more and such.

How did you folks obtain your passport?  I have seen companies that will expedite "things" for a fee.  Otherwise, is it basically a situation where you need to physically go to a "regional" facility?

---- Matthew

Most post offices have passport services. Check at your local one and if they don't they can direct you to the nearest one that does.

They don't create the passports, they just serve as a "acceptance agency" that can accept your documents and send them to the nearest regional passport office to have them processed. Some university campuses have acceptance offices as well, but a post office is usually pretty easy to get in and out of.

They probably want you to make an appointment which you can do online. Be sure and bring all the required documents and be prepared to take a few minutes to fill out the form. You can find the form online at the state dept site in case you want to look it over and know what it asks, but the forms will be available at the post office as well. 

When you submit your application if you want to expedite it there are 2 things you can do. 1) pay an additional 60 bucks or so to expedite processing which shortens the processing time by a few weeks, and 2) you can submit your forms via express mail so they don't take as long to get to the passport office and begin processing. Both these things can be done on your own at the post office without the need to involve a non-govt 3rd party service, so save your $ and don't deal with the 3rd party services. The people at the post office will be able to help you and walk you through any questions about the form.

The state dept site will list expected turnaround times for regular or expedited applications that start at 5 week and range maybe to 11 weeks or something. But they can sometimes be a bit faster. I renewed mine about a month ago and got it back in 15 days with expedited processing but without the express mail. So pretty quick.

Pro tip: for another $30 I think, you can get a passport card in addition to the booklet. It's good for driving across into Mexico or Canada, and for a variety of seaports in the Carribean including Bermuda. It's also really nice to have as a backup ID in case you lose one or need to get a new license or show 2 forms of ID for something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You can download and print out the forms from the website, then take them to the post office with required documents.  That includes a birth certificate.  Make sure it is a long form, with parents names…and also not the souvenir certificate from the hospital.  I never had a real birth certificate until I was retiring.  Thought social security might want to see one, so I ordered one through Vital Check.  What came was the short form.  But I had had passports since 1970, and used a form that said Notification of Birth Registration.  Not only did it get me my first passport, but it got me into the army twice.  EM

To add to this, if your birth certificate is unavailable, you can contact the records office of the county in which you were born and get a certified copy of your birth record which won't be the same as your birth certificate, (long form or otherwise), but will have a raised seal and will be considered an official record which will suffice to get you the passport. I'm in Alabama and got this done in about 15 minues for about $15 dollars at the dept of public health which keeps birth records for the county.

Edited by smears

If you think you will travel a lot, it is worth it to get the passport with extra pages. I recently had to renew a passport that still have 5 years left on it, but not enough pages for my upcoming world cruise. Dream big and go for the extra pages!

• Like 3

Hi, everyone.

And, a thank you to all.  I guess i never thought bout the idea that some passport sites could be phony bologna.  

So far, it looks like the P.0. is a place to do business.

I do still have my birth cert from my last cruise -- with the raised seal.

OK.  Get "extra pages".  ??  Huh?

-matthew

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

Hi, everyone.

And, a thank you to all.  I guess i never thought bout the idea that some passport sites could be phony bologna.  

So far, it looks like the P.0. is a place to do business.

I do still have my birth cert from my last cruise -- with the raised seal.

OK.  Get "extra pages".  ??  Huh?

-matthew

There is a spot on DS-82 to indicate you want the 52 page passport instead of the usual 28 pages (some of which are not useable for visas or stamping).  No extra charge.

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

A minor item but some post offices have designated days/hours to accept the passport applications. These would be small post offices manned by one postal worker.

At the large post office near me they require an appointment for a new passport but will take a renewal on a walk in basis.