Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I know you weren’t addressing me but i recommend you check out Trinity reservations for good deals. You can tell from there which ones are reasonably close.  We usually stay at one of the Marriott owned hotels, often the Fairfield.  The Tru hotel is the newest in the string of hotels near the airport.  I’ve stayed in the Springhill and the Courtyard.  I prefer the Springhill but it’s only one night!  

The Marriott at the airport has a restaurant onsite, I haven’t been in their rooms though, th restaurant and lobby were up to par several years ago. 

We stay at the Marriott Airport hotel in Newark on a regular basis. Nice concierge lounge-restaurant is nice and rooms (although small) are comfortable, clean and no issues there! Regular airport shuttles to and from all terminals. I go directly to Marriott for best rates and never had a problem.

We really use the hotel when we have an early out of state flight the next day and need to be close in the early AM to save time and also to return our rental car. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Thanks for the recommendations; I appreciate your input.  I usually prefer a Marriott product and I will focus on these.  

With the exceptions of the fencing you can walk between the non Marriott names in a few minutes.  Last we were there in Feb the Springhill was just reopening.  The Marriott is on the airport grounds, or very close to it.  I think it’s walking distance like across the street, but I was there at night so I may not be totally correct.  Since you don’t have a car you don’t have to worry about the $40 parking there.  

1 hour ago, Loucat said:

We stay at the Marriott Airport hotel in Newark on a regular basis. Nice concierge lounge-restaurant is nice and rooms (although small) are comfortable, clean and no issues there! Regular airport shuttles to and from all terminals. I go directly to Marriott for best rates and never had a problem.

We really use the hotel when we have an early out of state flight the next day and need to be close in the early AM to save time and also to return our rental car. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

The reason I recommended the service is because they do a combination park and shuttle and variations of those that beat the direct cost, often because the parking has been discounted, but the shuttle service is naturally expensive too.  I do check to be sure which makes a cheaper deal.  When I stayed at the Courtyard direct and using a shuttle company we knew was cheaper but that was just once. 

i agree with your assessment of the Marriott airport, but I’m sorry to hear the rooms are slightly small.  

for what it is worth, for our trip out of BWI the Westin turned out to be the cheaper deal which shocked me! 

it’s worth mentioning that with the agency I used I got a short notice that my cruise was delayed 2 days when I contacted them they said that happens all the time and there was no charge for cancelling the hotel late.  That sold me on the company when they have offerings, they don’t always. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Couple pictures of Embassy Suites.  To be honest not impressed.  Poor service and our room wasn’t even made up today. 

427E3DB1-0A34-4059-A705-2FBBA9BFB008.thumb.jpeg.a77810f6ddb7eb41013644bde692cb04.jpeg

C7454A0E-92A9-41D1-A91E-794A8D144F1A.thumb.jpeg.efae3b1e2473a4227dfc6b0578b5aa3a.jpeg

6ED8D33A-EB31-41D3-9585-D5EC8D5DB483.thumb.jpeg.456a9e7b51f46541bcee857d859f77ad.jpeg

8B9EC8BF-06D2-423A-9198-291B74E1177E.thumb.jpeg.a70f03891dc696876266fcf52991116d.jpeg

Fresh cooked eggs and no crowds like FLL

4C2FD4BC-674E-4314-8B90-F98F39D0CA31.thumb.jpeg.1a40e54d35b85f315597bcb90d91ef3e.jpeg

D23C732D-C841-4381-B58B-D7DD2C46AA1E.thumb.jpeg.4f1dc6aea62265a5288ee8a71c47fec1.jpeg

That’s Newark for you, I haven’t been impressed at any of the 5 hotels I have stayed at in Newark, always pick a new place each time, but never better.

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be putting on the miles late 2023-24.    After the New Zealand cruise we are flying home but fling back to Sydney in April 2024 to do the Repositioning From Sydney to HNL and HNL to Vancouver. 

Hi,

Which ship(s) and dates for all of the above?  Curious.

BTW, I'm on the Eclipse and the wifi is the worse ever on X.  I keep getting kicked off.

Staff, however, is amazing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Military brat?

Kay (Navy brat)

Kinda -   Inelegance Devices.

I use to say my parent were in the Iron and Steal Fussiness -   My mother Ironed and my father stole. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Thanks for the recommendations; I appreciate your input.  I usually prefer a Marriott product and I will focus on these.  

To be honest while waiting for bus there were 3 Marriott buses for each other hotel  and what i say they pick you up directly in front of luggage on the second curb and at P4

• Thanks 1

Bon voyage Jim & Iian!  We tried our best to leave the Summit in good shape for you when we sailed her to Bermuda last month.  I hope the captain will do the Statue of Liberty sail by  for your enjoyment today.  It’s going to be another hot one!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Bon voyage Jim & Iian!  We tried our best to leave the Summit in good shape for you when we sailed her to Bermuda last month.  I hope the captain will do the Statue of Liberty sail by  for your enjoyment today.  It’s going to be another hot one!

I do also.    Good chance of it today unless the weather turn negative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Hi,

Which ship(s) and dates for all of the above?  Curious.

BTW, I'm on the Eclipse and the wifi is the worse ever on X.  I keep getting kicked off.

Staff, however, is amazing.

The Repositioning is on Solstice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Kinda -   Inelegance Devices.

I use to say my parent were in the Iron and Steal Fussiness -   My mother Ironed and my father stole. 

My great grandfather was a moonshiner in Alabama. My sister would tell people he was involved in grain and metal exchanges.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Next we walked past St Patric’s Cathedral 

7B21AA29-4EE7-4D98-856C-32F6612CA7D6.thumb.jpeg.a2889e98503ba422ecb58a0842d17719.jpeg

And past Radio City Musical Hall.  Ahhh so many memories.  My father use to take us there on Thanksgiving weekend to see the Christmas Show. 

62ECEF06-FB5E-4D3E-B5A5-D38751E36B7A.thumb.jpeg.04c664f1ed51ad0238fd512302fc289c.jpeg

Final stop was the food hall at Grand Central.  Passing the beautiful public library.  A must see if haven’t visited. 

AF780051-44D6-4617-9D17-6A6406AB23AD.thumb.jpeg.fb1203a7ce73ba2086f008c439ecec0f.jpeg

73792C5A-97D1-4616-BE23-C62235AFC3D9.thumb.jpeg.b863c48d5c1317aea2ecacb72e6bf9c7.jpeg

CAEE452B-E7B5-441E-A990-9C107DEF26FE.thumb.jpeg.2d7f8fa317590d4bb683fa83440c5801.jpeg

Jim thank you so much for the fabulous photos of NYC ! DH and I are native New Yorkers & commuted to Grand Central for over 20 years! Your photos touched our hearts! 

Wishing you and Iain an amazing cruise ! Stay safe and enjoy! 

Paula

• Like 1