Alhambra visit from Malaga port day

hal2008

Personally, I wouldn't consider going on my own as it's a 2 hour drive from the port to Alhambra.  It's easy to arrange with a tour company: I did it with Spain Day tours in 2019 and everything was great.  They get excellent reviews on these boards.   Only 32 on the coach bus, SDT stopped half way for a restroom break, we had a guide on the bus giving information and then were divided into 2 groups of 16 with an Alhambra guide.  Wonderful.

I live in the area and have been to Granada several times.  I would be cautious about DIY from Malaga even in a hire car.  If only public transport were better.  Yes it is possible, but for me risks such as breakdown/getting lost/unknown delays would make me avoid DIY for this tour.

The other consideration is of course where your next stop is.  If the next port is Valencia or Cadiz then consider it.  If you are going to Palma or Ibiza then catching up with the ship might be harder (In my opinion anyway). 

We did it as a shorex as a distance of 2 hours is outwith our own personal comfort time for being back on board, but others would most likely be comfortable with that time and distance and DIY.

As above, where is your next port of call after Malaga "just in case"?

Edited by edinburgher

I would be a bit slow to do it as a DIY on a 10 hour port stop.

When you allow time to get to the car rental desk (Maria Zambrano RNFE Station? or Airport??) and get your car and allow time for returning the car and getting back to the port, you are a lot less than 10 hours.

Depending on time of year, parking close the Alhambra entrance can be problematic and you may have a long walk (or even shuttle bus) from one of the remote car parks.

Do remember to pre book your admission tickets,  They are very precise with admission timings (Nasrid Palace).  If you are early, you must wait until your time slot.  If you are late, they will only admit you if the next group is below maximum numbers.

We have driven it on a long port day, but that was in the days before they were strict about timed entrances.  Now, it is difficult because you must buy a "Morning ticket" which allows you entrance from 8:30 until 2.  But unless your ship docks very early, the timing is very bad.  Just getting to a rental car agency can take a good half hour and you can find yourself spending a long time waiting to do the car check-out process.  

I will say what cruisers do not want to hear.  We really enjoy spending time in Granada and also other places in the region such as Ronda.  But the best way is to spend some time in this part of Spain.  There is actually a Parador (a quasi-government hotel) located inside the Alhambra and it is one of the more amazing hotel locations in Europe.  One must plan ahead to get a reservation, but we were blown away by our stay.  Having breakfast out on the patio with a view of the Generalife is special.  

If your cruise offers an excursion that includes the Alhambra (and also the Generalife) than book that excursion I do not like cruise ship excursions, but this is a case when it is wise.  

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, hal2008 said:

is it logistically possible during 10 hour port visit as DIY?

(assuming tickets can be pre-arranged)

We did it with Spain Day Tours and it was fantastic. 10 hours is enough.