Conflicting reports on testing protocols

zebra

So confused!!!!  I am sailing in 2 weeks time on a 5 day cruise from the US.

RCCL website Healthy Sail Center, as of today clearly says, that from 8th August "fully vaccinated guests will only have to show a test result at boarding if 6 nights or longer."

Yesterday and today I received updates by email from RCCL and BOTH state that testing is required 2 days before boarding.

Why all the conflicting reports RCCL?????

Their website is in conflict because IT hasn't updated it yet.

Their emails are based on their old IT programming, also not updated yet.

RCCL phone reps are 3 out of 4 updated on the new protocols but 1 out of 4 are still outdated and wrong.

Right now, if the cruise is 5 days or under, and does not include Canada or Bermuda, you do not have to test, if you are vaccinated.

• Like 1

Emails are automated and pre programmed to go out on a specific date.  They just haven't updated the info in the program yet.  We routinely get "check in reminders" even after we're checked in.  

Edited by BND

Royal Caribbean said, “For those clients booked after August 14, 2022, please await the specific protocol details from us related to those sailings.”

The cruise line is starting to transition to allowing more unvaccinated passengers to sail, which will be a gradual process. Royal Caribbean President Michael Bayley recently said, “We will also continue to operate highly vaccinated cruises with a vaccinated population greater than society. This continues to exempt kids 12 and under.

Read Also: Four Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships Redeploy Due to Speed Regulations

Bayley continued, We will also welcome unvaccinated guests over 12 and guests with a certificate of recovery within 90 days to travel keeping in mind our ships will typically sail with 80 percent plus vaccinated guests onboard.”

• Thanks 1

John Heald CCL Brand Ambassador clarifies CCL's Bahamas statements

Before I head to my cruise tomorrow I wanted to share the news on testing which many of you have already received from our wonderful President Christine Duffy.
It reads as follows.
“ August 5, 2022
Dear Carnival Guest,
We are pleased to share that our COVID protocols continue to evolve. We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. Effective August 8, 2022, guests should be guided by the following COVID-19 testing requirements related to cruises visiting The Bahamas. This applies specifically to itineraries 5 days or shorter only:
• Vaccinated guests do not have to present a COVID test result at embarkation.
• All unvaccinated guests must present the negative results of a pre-embarkation test – either
a supervised PCR or an antigen test taken up to three (3) days prior to embarkation.
For complete information on vaccination and testing requirements and other protocols, please visit
our Have Fun. Be Safe. page here.
We apologize for the late notice but trust you will find this to be good news.”

10 hours ago, lola2013 said:

We sail on 8/21...eight nights to Bermuda...still have to test and can't do it until I get to Florida (two days prior)...GRRRRR!

Is the Bermuda travel authorization still required?  We sailed there in May and had to apply for the authorization. 

Have a good trip. 
m

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Is the Bermuda travel authorization still required?  We sailed there in May and had to apply for the authorization. 

Have a good trip. 
m

Unfortunately, yes.  I applied two weeks ago and am still waiting for approval.  I’m sure it will be worth it.

Susan

52 minutes ago, watcher_62 said:

John Heald CCL Brand Ambassador clarifies CCL's Bahamas statements

Before I head to my cruise tomorrow I wanted to share the news on testing which many of you have already received from our wonderful President Christine Duffy.
It reads as follows.
“ August 5, 2022
Dear Carnival Guest,

What CCL does has not impact on what RCL does.  

13 hours ago, zebra said:

So confused!!!!  I am sailing in 2 weeks time on a 5 day cruise from the US.

RCCL website Healthy Sail Center, as of today clearly says, that from 8th August "fully vaccinated guests will only have to show a test result at boarding if 6 nights or longer."

Yesterday and today I received updates by email from RCCL and BOTH state that testing is required 2 days before boarding.

Why all the conflicting reports RCCL?????

If you are sailing to Bermuda, you still need testing.  Bermuda requires it 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

What CCL does has not impact on what RCL does.  

I would disagree. CCL is the largest cruise company in the world.  RCCL is the second largest.  What one does directly impacts the other, and when you are talking about changes that directly affect their customers, every move one makes has to be responded to by the other, or they risk market share. 

Now, in this case, everyone watching the news this last week saw both RCCL and CCL move and "drop testing requirements" on cruises 5 nights or less, but where RCCL only continued restrictions for itineraries that included Canada and Bermuda, CCL included those AND Bahamas.  This caused a lot of confusion.  Today, CCL clarified that the itineraries that included the Bahamas were NOT requiring testing, which aligns with RCCL now. That is what I posted.

I apologize if the post confused anyone.  

8 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

I would disagree. CCL is the largest cruise company in the world.  RCCL is the second largest.  What one does directly impacts the other, and when you are talking about changes that directly affect their customers, every move one makes has to be responded to by the other, or they risk market share. 

Now, in this case, everyone watching the news this last week saw both RCCL and CCL move and "drop testing requirements" on cruises 5 nights or less, but where RCCL only continued restrictions for itineraries that included Canada and Bermuda, CCL included those AND Bahamas.  This caused a lot of confusion.  Today, CCL clarified that the itineraries that included the Bahamas were NOT requiring testing, which aligns with RCCL now. That is what I posted.

It was a very valid post, appropriate to the interests of those on this (Royal) board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Have a good trip. 
m

Bermuda has the $40 fee they get from the authorization in their budget into March 2023 so that won't go away before then.

2 hours ago, BND said:

Bermuda has the $40 fee they get from the authorization in their budget into March 2023 so that won't go away before then.

When they were actually checking tests themselves, it might have been a valid charge (and we cruised last Oct when it was $75 pp), but at this point that’s such a racket. Hopefully the cruise lines can at least make sure it doesn’t go on past that date. 

2 minutes ago, psac said:

When they were actually checking tests themselves, it might have been a valid charge (and we cruised last Oct when it was $75 pp), but at this point that’s such a racket. Hopefully the cruise lines can at least make sure it doesn’t go on past that date. 

It's for anyone coming into or returning to the country, by air or sea, even citizens.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, psac said:

The cruise lines have absolutely zero input on this, and wouldn’t think of weighing in on it. 

13 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Unfortunately, yes.  I applied two weeks ago and am still waiting for approval.  I’m sure it will be worth it.

Susan

Yes it is. We had our first trip to Bermuda in May. Unfortunately, we had a change in itinerary because of weather and instead of 2 overnights and a half day (I think it was billed as  three days in Bermuda)  we  ended up with about 24 hours and just one overnight. 

We packed a lot in

hope your cruise is fun. 
m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

We had to get the authorization for our May trip. We didn’t have any issue but others weren’t as lucky. 
m

14 minutes ago, Jaedog105 said:

Did this come to you in email? I'm sailing on 8/21 and haven't received anything directly from Royal. 

I can't recall if it was an email or a post on the website, it's been included in so many now... you should be receiving further updates given your sailing is after the 14th...

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We had to get the authorization for our May trip. We didn’t have any issue but others weren’t as lucky. 
m

We just got back on 28 July from Bermuda.  We both received ours about 10 days prior to the trip.  Some people had to call but I didn't hear of any issues.  

12 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

Thank you, I was confused and planning on testing in case the check in agent was ignorant

4 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Thank you, I was confused and planning on testing in case the check in agent was ignorant

Well, I can understand everyone's confusion, and the requirements seem to change day by day right now. If you are travelling soon (we leave tomorrow for Alaska), I would recommend you play it "better safe than sorry".  Better to find out you did more than necessary than be caught in a situation right at embarkation, as these changes don't take effect until the 8th.