Crown Princess to home port in SF. Mask mandates, and more.

masterty

Please keep scrolling if this is all old news. I just learned it. We are finally back on board after a long pause. Last sailed Sky in 2020. We boarded last week to learn "Masks not Required". The staff is masking in public for us. One bartender mentioned there is talk of eliminating staff mask requirements next week. Her fingers are crossed. I also learned the Crown is coming to San Francisco. Told it would be announced August 9th.

There has been no Pub Lunch, no Crab Shack, no Chefs Table, no UST, no hot towels when boarding, no 24/7 IC. Staff mentioned it would all come back once staffing was back up to normal levels. Until then we are just thrilled to be sailing. No complaints whatsoever. Food has been good, staff friendly, drinks avalible. Enjoy your next trip and happy sailing. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, masterty said:

Please keep scrolling if this is all old news. I just learned it. We are finally back on board after a long pause. Last sailed Sky in 2020. We boarded last week to learn "Masks not Required". The staff is masking in public for us. One bartender mentioned there is talk of eliminating staff mask requirements next week. Her fingers are crossed. I also learned the Crown is coming to San Francisco. Told it would be announced August 9th.

There has been no Pub Lunch, no Crab Shack, no Chefs Table, no UST, no hot towels when boarding, no 24/7 IC. Staff mentioned it would all come back once staffing was back up to normal levels. Until then we are just thrilled to be sailing. No complaints whatsoever. Food has been good, staff friendly, drinks avalible. Enjoy your next trip and happy sailing. 

Is this hearsay or from a reliable source?  When will the Crown be homeported in San Francisco.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, masterty said:

It'll be hard to be fully staffed if more of the crew gets covid.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Looks like she will be in SF in mid to late October 2023.  

Thank you.  I was concerned that the cruises out of LA would be affected 2022/23.  Makes sense to move her to San Francisco in 2023 since the Ruby will be sent to Galveston.  I do hope that Princess will allow a smaller ship (not Royal Class) to be based out of San Pedro.  Preferably the Grand.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you.  I was concerned that the cruises out of LA would be affected 2022/23.  Makes sense to move her to San Francisco in 2023 since the Ruby will be sent to Galveston.  I do hope that Princess will allow a smaller ship (not Royal Class) to be based out of San Pedro.  Preferably the Grand.

I thought the Discovery was going to LA? 

21 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Ruby is headed to Galveston in December of this year.  In the meantime, we are getting the Royal here.  I wish she would stay.  I love the Royal class ships.  

But, Carnival is also home porting one of their ships in SF (at least for now) so, it makes sense that they don't want to leave one of their larger ships here in SF.  The Embarcadero is such a mess when there are two ships in port at the same time.  

41 minutes ago, suekel said:

It'll be hard to be fully staffed if more of the crew gets covid.  

This is so true.  

We never got the impression that the staff masking is an issue for them but more for their job security.  Some staff still get Covid even with all the precautions they take.  

It will not be a pretty sight when they are all coughing too and serving you food or drinks!!  Increase the quarantine cabins.

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:
2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Is this hearsay or from a reliable source?  When will the Crown be homeported in San Francisco.  

Looks like she will be in SF in mid to late October 2023.  

This is so disappointing. What (other than a flight to LA or Seattle) are our options? Will Celebrity home port a ship here? I will NEVER get on the Crown because of its history.

Must add that LA & Seattle are short flights from SFO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

This is so disappointing. What (other than a flight to LA or Seattle) are our options? Will Celebrity home port a ship here? I will NEVER get on the Crown because of its history.

Some one/city needs to take her in.  LA will get her for a year.  TIme to pass her along.  (I'm really sorry...it was just too good to pass up).  

I want the Grand in LA (or the Golden or the Pacific) but that's not going to happen.  I just don't want ONLY the Royal Class ships.  

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Some one/city needs to take her in.  LA will get her for a year.  TIme to pass her along.  (I'm really sorry...it was just too good to pass up).  

I want the Grand in LA (or the Golden or the Pacific) but that's not going to happen.  I just don't want ONLY the Royal Class ships.  

Not a fan of only Royal class either. Big fan of grand, crown, coral, and royal class. Not a fan of that 1 particular ship. I have made it perfectly clear IMHO that a good port for it until they can fix its multiple issues would be Aliaga Turkey or Alang India. 

Edited by Ombud
Typed 'for' came out 'of' .... fat fingers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I love the Ruby, not a big fan of the Royal, even though wed booked on it for 15 days this December 2022.  I will glad have the Crown replace the Royal, since similar to the Ruby.    Don't know what you mean by Crown history?  I have never been on Crown.   

6 minutes ago, pris993 said:

I love the Ruby, not a big fan of the Royal, even though wed booked on it for 15 days this December 2022.  I will glad have the Crown replace the Royal, since similar to the Ruby.    Don't know what you mean by Crown history?  I have never been on Crown.   

Engine propulsion issues aside .... I only need sewage in room / me sleeping on deck on 1 cruise to avoid a ship. Unfortunately I didn't have a balcony or I would've slept there instead. 

Ah well, the only itinerary that would be new-to-me would be the SF <-> Hawaii

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

And don’t forget that Princess also is home porting a ship in San Diego.  That will be my first choice over LA.  
I’ve sailed on the Crown a few times when she was newer, one of which was plagued by problems.   Seems like one can still have a great cruise on her but she has so many issues.  I wish we could get one of the newer Royal class ships here for several years.  
Celebrity probably won’t put a ship here in SF, as they just couldn’t fill the ships without just about giving them away in the past.  

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Engine propulsion issues aside .... I only need sewage in room / me sleeping on deck on 1 cruise to avoid a ship. Unfortunately I didn't have a balcony or I would've slept there instead. 

Ah well, the only itinerary that would be new-to-me would be the SF <-> Hawaii

I am not planning to go till December 2023, would guess problems will be resolved.  Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience.     Thanks for responding.  I am on the Royal this December.   With my DH being 90 we only go out of SF round trip, so whatever ship is here we are on it.  As I said, I am sorry they did not keep the Ruby here.  That's life.   Hope your future cruising are far better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Princess also is home porting a ship in San Diego.  That will be my first choice over LA.  

Yes, San Diego is a short flight and it's just 3 miles from airport -> pier.

• Like 1