Will Pre-board testing be scrapped?

adoctor

I had the Regent email.  They will accept unvaccinated passengers as long as they have a negative test 3 days prior to embarkation while vaccinated passengers will not need to test.  I'm not sure that I agree with the first part of this.  

Since the pre-cruise testing did weed out several fully vaccinated guests who tested positive prior to our Odyssey cruise to Alaska last month, I would think it would provide an extra layer of piece of mind. I tested positive two days after our cruise ended. Fully vaxxed and masked 100% of the time. Sounds like the cruise lines are trying to make it sound safer than it is, while at the same time still requiring 100% masking of crew. Something doesn't add up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Since the pre-cruise testing did weed out several fully vaccinated guests who tested positive prior to our Odyssey cruise to Alaska last month, I would think it would provide an extra layer of piece of mind. I tested positive two days after our cruise ended. Fully vaxxed and masked 100% of the time. Sounds like the cruise lines are trying to make it sound safer than it is, while at the same time still requiring 100% masking of crew. Something doesn't add up.

I tend to agree with you, which is why we are sitting out cruising for now.  We DO fully realize that the virus is with us to stay.  It's not a good scenario.  While we don't fear dying from the virus and we are fully vaccinated and boosted, we don't relish having concerns while vacationing.  So, for now, we are taking land trips.  

Oh please! Getting yourself tested within 2 days of sailing and complying with common sense rules is not a hardship. It helps deliver a safer ship - for the enjoyment of everyone on board and the welfare of the cruise line’s staff. No one needs or wants virus-positive people to embark and then spread the virus. That’s what this is about.

And who cares what Regent claims to be doing? Maybe their customers think it’s somehow smart - as in a cost-saving for their self-indulgent attitudes. Sounds like a cop out from taking personal responsibility to me.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, twodjs said:

What doesn't add up?  The latest variants are highly contagious, even when people are masked (especially if not using N95 masks).  The antigen tests are only about 60% accurate.  Testing and masking only reduces transmissions; it does not eliminate them.  If you don't want risk, then don't leave your house.  At this point, assuming you are vaccinated and boosted, you probably have a better chance of ending up in the hospital by crossing the street than you do from getting Covid, so it really isn't much of a risk in the scheme of things.  But if you are intent on never getting Covid, then just stay home.

• Like 4

Sorry tryber, I didn't explain my point clearly. By eliminating pre-testing and masking for guests, cruiselines are suggesting that the risk is very low. If the risk is so low, why 100% masking for crew? That's what doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Sorry tryber, I didn't explain my point clearly. By eliminating pre-testing and masking for guests, cruiselines are suggesting that the risk is very low. If the risk is so low, why 100% masking for crew? That's what doesn't make sense. 

I agree with you--eliminating masking does suggest that the risk is low.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  

I agree, four weeks ago we left the ship, because most if not all passengers were not wearing masks on the last two days we decided not to, big mistake!

We left the ship crowded bus, crowded airport, crowded plane, two days later Covid, I blame myself for letting my guard down, back home, mask, dont trust anybody anymore. Still feeling the effects after over four weeks.

3 hours ago, fudge said:

I agree, four weeks ago we left the ship, because most if not all passengers were not wearing masks on the last two days we decided not to, big mistake!

We left the ship crowded bus, crowded airport, crowded plane, two days later Covid, I blame myself for letting my guard down, back home, mask, dont trust anybody anymore. Still feeling the effects after over four weeks.

I think the problem is that we are in a phase right now where the risk of infection is high, but the risk of significant illness is low.  It's understandable that governments and cruise lines are not quite sure what to do with that reality.  People don't want to return to masking because they don't see a real risk of injury, even if the risk of getting Covid is relatively high.  In Los Angeles, we were very close to reinstating mask mandates because the rates of infection were skyrocketing.  But the rates of hospitalization and death didn't really move, so it ultimately didn't happen.  You are never going to make everyone happy with these policies, as there is no right answer.  (you didn't even make everyone happy when there was a right answer).

I'm not sure how much having the crew masked really reduces the risk of transmission, but from Seabourn's perspective, there is not any real cost to having the crew mask.  But the cost of requiring the passengers to mask could be quite high as I think they probably correctly perceive that the number of people who would refuse to cruise because of mask mandates are higher than those who are refusing  to cruise because there are no mandates.  

2 minutes ago, tryber said:

I think the problem is that we are in a phase right now where the risk of infection is high, but the risk of significant illness is low.  It's understandable that governments and cruise lines are not quite sure what to do with that reality.  People don't want to return to masking because they don't see a real risk of injury, even if the risk of getting Covid is relatively high.  In Los Angeles, we were very close to reinstating mask mandates because the rates of infection were skyrocketing.  But the rates of hospitalization and death didn't really move, so it ultimately didn't happen.  You are never going to make everyone happy with these policies, as there is no right answer.  (you didn't even make everyone happy when there was a right answer).

I'm not sure how much having the crew masked really reduces the risk of transmission, but from Seabourn's perspective, there is not any real cost to having the crew mask.  But the cost of requiring the passengers to mask could be quite high as I think they probably correctly perceive that the number of people who would refuse to cruise because of mask mandates are higher than those who are refusing  to cruise because there are no mandates.  

Your comments are quite reasonable.  I think what is keeping some of us from cruising has little to do with masking or not masking--but the specter of being quarantined onboard in our suite for five to ten days.  When you look at that risk (and all that you would have to do to try to avoid the virus), going on a land trip looks more appealing for many of us.  I don't think anyone is actually afraid of the virus at this point--just not wanting to quarantine onboard.  

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Your comments are quite reasonable.  I think what is keeping some of us from cruising has little to do with masking or not masking--but the specter of being quarantined onboard in our suite for five to ten days.  When you look at that risk (and all that you would have to do to try to avoid the virus), going on a land trip looks more appealing for many of us.  I don't think anyone is actually afraid of the virus at this point--just not wanting to quarantine onboard.  

I get that.  All you have to do is look at this message board to see how many people are needing to quarantine (and many of them seemed to start posting their trip before quarantine, so it's not a self-selected group).   Nobody wants their vacation ruined by having to quarantine.  Unfortunately masks don't do much to protect you from this variant, unless it's an N95, and who wants to wear that all the time?  

My cruise starts 9/17.  If you look at the patterns the last couple of years, the cases tend to spike in the summer and peak in July, subside in September, and then really spike again in the winter.  For that reason, I'm hoping my September cruise will be relatively low risk.  I traveled for several weeks in Italy and Eastern Europe last year at the same time, and we never felt at much risk.  But we weren't on a cruise (we were driving).  And this variant is much more contagious, and unfortunately does not seem to provide much immunity, so people are getting it multiple times.  So I recognize there's a risk we could end up in quarantine.

Tryber, I agree with your description of the high risk of infection, low risk of significant illness dilemma along with the costs associated with any decision. We also had the opportunity to extend our recent cruise while on Odyssey, but declined after weighing the potential risk of testing positive and the quarantine after that first week. That was the right decision for us because I tested positive 2 days after our cruise ended. And yes, I did wear an N-95 mask any time I was in a public space.

Just saw this as well on Cruise Industry News - wondering how quickly Carnival Corp brands will follow

wow - I'm surprised...but at this point I guess we shouldn't be.

All I know is I'll be more comfortable boarding in October if I have my 5th shot now.....of course there is still no guarantee that it will prevent infection...but anything I can do to prevent from getting it again...dodged it until May of this year 

2 minutes ago, robertmartha said:

Just saw this as well on Cruise Industry News - wondering how quickly Carnival Corp brands will follow

wow - I'm surprised...but at this point I guess we shouldn't be.

All I know is I'll be more comfortable boarding in October if I have my 5th shot now.....of course there is still no guarantee that it will prevent infection...but anything I can do to prevent from getting it again...dodged it until May of this year 

Deleted

Edited by galeforce9

Markham does have his moments. All the same he tries to go with the flow, and upon reflection is somewhat more mentally positive today….

We left the brand new and lovely Silver Dawn yesterday in Barcelona after a week’s cruise, and we were required to show negative Antigen tests when we embarked in Civitavecchia. We were also instructed repeatedly to wear M95 masks on tours and tenders, and to exercise caution on board. Daily temperatures were taken by the butlers.

As far as I know there was no Covid on the ship, and it was quite full. How welcome is that?! We avoided the show lounge and main bar since they were fully enclosed/inside spaces. But we ate many meals in the wonderful Atlantide restaurant, which I should add, was never more than 75% full. Otherwise it was the outdoor section of Terrazza. Pre-dinner cocktails were always in the near empty Panorama Bar with its quick access to the deck. It was usually us, maybe 6 other couples, 3 or even one musician and several wait/bar staff. Where were everyone else? Maybe by the big pool and its comfortable padded sun loungers.

(And about sun loungers, may I carp one more time about the awful old unpadded narrow stuff on Seabourn ships? There is no comparison with the Silversea Moon, Muse and Dawn sisters!!!)

About mixing it up, and maybe exposing yourself to more folks who might be infectious, you may well know that Silversea is not Seabourn. There are virtually no sail-away parties  (with or without live music), caviar in surf or pool party, beach or marina days, welcome back on board red carpet event, Officers on Deck party, or the dreaded and silly Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Nayber Party on day 2. On Silversea the entertainment was, well, simpler, eg far fewer musicians. So it’s safe there but rather boring or staid, depending on what might feel the urge to opine. But for me, the reduction or deemphasis due to Covid of some of these fun times on Seabourn would be more noticeable there. Silversea? Not as much happenin’. So not much risk for that reason. Oh, well.

Let’s hope we can stay and sail safely as things ramp up over time and adjust to the best advice we will get from the cruise lines, local authorities and our own cautious common sense.

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, markham said:

About mixing it up, and maybe exposing yourself to more folks who might be infectious, you may well know that Silversea is not Seabourn. There are virtually no sail-away parties  (with or without live music), caviar in surf or pool party, beach or marina days, welcome back on board red carpet event, Officers on Deck party, or the dreaded and silly Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Nayber Party on day 2. On Silversea the entertainment was, well, simpler, eg far fewer musicians. So it’s safe there but rather boring or staid, depending on what might feel the urge to opine. But for me, the reduction or deemphasis due to Covid of some of these fun times on Seabourn would be more noticeable there. Silversea? Not as much happenin’. So not much risk for that reason. Oh, well.

\

This is what keeps us from sailing on Silversea going forward.  We have sailed with them (once) and it was some years ago.  On that cruise, we sailed with friends and dined with them every night.  It was our first cruise ever--so I didn't know any different---but when I think back, the onboard experience was not very exciting.  The itinerary (Greek Islands) in April/May was wonderful.  The entertainment was more than forgettable, the CD was non existent, the Panorama Bar was usually empty and cavernous.  The food was good.  I ordered from the "spa menu' every evening and loved it.  I hear there is no longer a spa menu.  We didn't use our butler much and he was seldom seen.  Since discovering Seabourn, we have been sold on the more vibrant social scene--more smiles, more fun, more onboard events.  We are not party people, but a convivial atmosphere DOES add to our experience.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markham said:

Markham does have his moments. All the same he tries to go with the flow, and upon reflection is somewhat more mentally positive today….

We left the brand new and lovely Silver Dawn yesterday in Barcelona after a week’s cruise, and we were required to show negative Antigen tests when we embarked in Civitavecchia. We were also instructed repeatedly to wear M95 masks on tours and tenders, and to exercise caution on board. Daily temperatures were taken by the butlers.

As far as I know there was no Covid on the ship, and it was quite full. How welcome is that?! We avoided the show lounge and main bar since they were fully enclosed/inside spaces. But we ate many meals in the wonderful Atlantide restaurant, which I should add, was never more than 75% full. Otherwise it was the outdoor section of Terrazza. Pre-dinner cocktails were always in the near empty Panorama Bar with its quick access to the deck. It was usually us, maybe 6 other couples, 3 or even one musician and several wait/bar staff. Where were everyone else? Maybe by the big pool and its comfortable padded sun loungers.

(And about sun loungers, may I carp one more time about the awful old unpadded narrow stuff on Seabourn ships? There is no comparison with the Silversea Moon, Muse and Dawn sisters!!!)

Let’s hope we can stay and sail safely as things ramp up over time and adjust to the best advice we will get from the cruise lines, local authorities and our own cautious common sense.

Markham,

All is well on the Encore as you would expect.

Sailaway parties,Ross DJ on deck five aft on alternate evenings until 01.00 in the morning.

No more block parties which is a blessing.

Starting next week hosted tables are back and there is no covid on board.

I have seen very few masks and have not been to the show lounge.

I have tendered on three occasions and another today in Skiathos.

I have not eaten in the MDR at all as it is too busy and noisy for my dining tastes.

E&O seems very popular,the menus are good and people are generally dressing down on this cruise as the weather is hot.

Next week we will be only 375 on board which will please the very hard working new staff I'm sure.

Sunbeds are as you say on Seabourn but I generally have a double thick padded one on deck eleven which is twenty feet from my suite.

Where are you next?

Mr L,

What is next? In a week just a crossing on QM2 in QG. Same assigned table for all meals and I expect the crossing will be full. I know the food will be good, but I am going to miss the variety of choices, especially Italian, on Dawn. 

I reflect on Dawn now that I am back another day. Everything they did they did very well indeed. The cabins, eagerness to please and that food! But there is a void in my gut anyway, and it was pronounced at disembarkation. Nothing much - except for a warm goodbye from CD Vicki. We will be back there for a big cruise in Nov., and I will also celebrate a birthday there... But for the post-cruise letdown feeling which I always have on Seabourn there was nothing coming from Dawn. It was like I had just checked out of the best hotel in town, all fat, watered, cleaned and pressed. But that is all. 

So what am I really looking forward to? For the sheer fun of it all it has to be Seabourn, specifically our Quest Grand Voyage in January. No need for those awful loungers for some of this particular trip. Final payment is due in about a month, it’s an impressive number and it sharpens my mind. So I might as well expect the best and make that happen. Maybe with the Howdy Doody.  Of course, it’s too early to know who will be the CD, Capt and HD, but I am setting the bar high. And I am glad I booked so long ago. It’s Quest’s last Antarctic voyage! I am not sure I am the true expedition ship type. And it’s not just the prices - although that features. It’s also the short durations.

I hope to see you again on a Seabourn or Silversea cruise in 2023 or 2024.

• Like 2