Vibe Beach Club process to access passes or private cabana

T3xan

I am just curious how the NCL cruisers feel about the process NCL utilizes for customers to acquire Vibe Beach Club passes.  The process to me just seems very unfair in that it only allows a very small percentage of the cruises per cruise to have access to this area.  It appears there are basically now 2 ways to access these passes.  1) Reserve beforehand via the website and 2) once you get on the ship.   Most of these passes are being purchased as 'length of the cruise' passes meaning the few lucky ones to actually get a pass have for the entire cruise further reducing the number of cruises the ability to utilize this area.  Regarding getting the passes online ahead of time, there is no magic time these come available meaning its just almost pure luck if you happen to log-in at the right time to secure these, whereas once they hit online they are gone very quickly.  The other method of being the first on ship and rushing to locate the site in which they are selling the passes for that particular cruise and selling out in 5-10 minutes, again, means only a select few get to secure that area.  It just seems to me NCL would want as many guests to have access to that area.  It would seem to me a possible alternative way would be to limit the number of days cruisers can secure passes for the Vibe allowing more customers the chance to experience it.  But to advertise the Vibe they way they do and in reality only a very small percentage of people can actually use it, is a bit misleading and can be very frustrating for the casual cruiser.  I am just curious how the general NCL public feels about this process.

• Like 1

This is a fair question - but I doubt there is any process NCL could use that would make everyone happy. The Vibe is, by definition, limited in size and occupancy. If it were not, no one would pay for it, and making money is what NCL is in business to do. So they have to limit who is there. I thought about a few ways they could do this:

-Auction-style bidding - no one with a modest vacation budget would like this

-Priority based on Latitudes status - no new cruisers would ever get passes

-Lottery - the winners would like this, but the losers would not

-Land rush (until recently, the only way to get passes) - favors those who can get to the port early

-Purchase on-line (new method) - favors those who plan ahead, if you know about it

I could go on, but I think this makes the point. I'm personally very glad NCL isn't prioritizing based on Latitudes status, or cabin class, as they do for so many other things.

• Like 9

I 100% agree with @wile e coyote above -  "The Vibe is, by definition, limited in size and occupancy. If it were not, no one would pay for it, and making money is what NCL is in business to do". 

On July 6, our cruise(Panama Canal) was 234 days out. I called NCL and booked two Vibe passes for the duration of our cruise, there's no "magic time" for when the passes become available. People on here on CC were saying 90 days, some said 100 days, others said 125 days just like dining reservations. That's why I called - I wanted to know straight from NCL. If Vibe passes aren't showing available to you online to purchase, I'd strongly suggest calling.

• Like 2

I miss the old days of getting in line at the port at 8:15 am, waiting until 9:30 to start going through security, scribbling out your health questionnaire, checking in hoping to get boarding pass group number one.  Then waiting about 90 minutes in the waiting area watching while people attempt to bribe the poor port employee at the main entrance to let them in first, getting pissed off when you see people standing at the entrance blocking you and your precious group one boarding pass, freaking out when two wedding parties get priority boarding, thinking terrible thoughts about the people boarding ahead of you with mobility issues, racing up the gangplank, jostling with other passengers down hallways and stairs to either the Social or Guest Services.  Stressful, emotional, what a great way to start a vacation (not).  And we’re platinum so we get priority boarding.   Sorry, I’ll take this new process every day, all day.  Simply put, if I book a cruise and I can’t purchase Vibe with it now, I’m booking another date.   However, I will miss the competitiveness of getting the pass and the thrill of victory!  

Edited by Jim The Lizard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

What about those in the Haven who purchase Vibe Passes...How do we feel about them? 

People cruising Haven get the exact opportunity to purchase Vibe passes like the rest of us do, so I don't think I have much to feel about it.

I would say, if I was staying in Haven, I would still try to book Vibe - that 18+ limit has a big pull for us, Haven is all ages.

• Like 3

I have a cruise 306 days out and have the opportunity to buy Vibe passes.  NCL now has my money almost a full year before I even enter the Vibe as opposed to me fighting my way to Guest Service are and hoping for a ticket.

• Like 3

i guess im in the minority of 1. the last thing i worry about is getting a vibe pass, even when we're staying in the haven complex and i have the luxury of having the concierge try and get us 2. ive never been at the vibe, so i cant really comment on how much fun it may be, i can just say that getting a pass, when there is so much else you can do on board , is not a priority for me. 

before anyone tries to berate me for this post, please be advised that the vibe area just does not interest me, and certainly not to the extent of paying extra for passes. for those who enjoy the vibe, if we're ever on the same cruise, and im in a haven, if i can get you the passes, dont hesitate to ask me.

i always say, im the guy with a glass of champagne inone hand and an ice cold heineken in the other. ill be looking for you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, complawyer said:

i guess im in the minority of 1. the last thing i worry about is getting a vibe pass, even when we're staying in the haven complex and i have the luxury of having the concierge try and get us 2. ive never been at the vibe, so i cant really comment on how much fun it may be, i can just say that getting a pass, when there is so much else you can do on board , is not a priority for me. 

before anyone tries to berate me for this post, please be advised that the vibe area just does not interest me, and certainly not to the extent of paying extra for passes. for those who enjoy the vibe, if we're ever on the same cruise, and im in a haven, if i can get you the passes, dont hesitate to ask me.

i always say, im the guy with a glass of champagne inone hand and an ice cold heineken in the other. ill be looking for you

Now, now Eeyore! You're a party of 2. I don't see any benefit to the Vibe when in the Haven. If I were traveling outside the Haven I would absolutely consider purchasing a Vibe pass! The hot tub alone would make it worth it to me. Given that I'm not a huge seeker of the sun, I'm thinking NCL would get my money for a cabana. 

But hey, I'm glad the Vibe is there for those that would enjoy it. Lord knows, I walked across a more than crowded pool deck in April, so I completely understand wanting to get away from that mass of humanity. Thankfully, my husband and I are of the same opinion which is why we'll be with you in the Haven. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, CTCruiser001 said:

What about those in the Haven who purchase Vibe Passes...How do we feel about them? 

I am in the Haven and have purchased Vibe passes....Why?  Because we are traveling with a group and most are not in the Haven therefore they will not be allowed Haven access. They have bought Vibe passes so we decided to purchase them also allowing us to all spend time together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I am in the Haven and have purchased Vibe passes....Why?  Because we are traveling with a group and most are not in the Haven therefore they will not be allowed Haven access. They have bought Vibe passes so we decided to purchase them also allowing us to all spend time together.

That is a great idea I never thought about that. I have  forgone the Haven a few times because I went with a group. I do not have to be in the Haven to have a great cruise but it sure is nice when I can.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, T3xan said:

I am just curious how the NCL cruisers feel about the process NCL utilizes for customers to acquire Vibe Beach Club passes.  The process to me just seems very unfair in that it only allows a very small percentage of the cruises per cruise to have access to this area.  It appears there are basically now 2 ways to access these passes.  1) Reserve beforehand via the website and 2) once you get on the ship.   Most of these passes are being purchased as 'length of the cruise' passes meaning the few lucky ones to actually get a pass have for the entire cruise further reducing the number of cruises the ability to utilize this area.  Regarding getting the passes online ahead of time, there is no magic time these come available meaning its just almost pure luck if you happen to log-in at the right time to secure these, whereas once they hit online they are gone very quickly.  The other method of being the first on ship and rushing to locate the site in which they are selling the passes for that particular cruise and selling out in 5-10 minutes, again, means only a select few get to secure that area.  It just seems to me NCL would want as many guests to have access to that area.  It would seem to me a possible alternative way would be to limit the number of days cruisers can secure passes for the Vibe allowing more customers the chance to experience it.  But to advertise the Vibe they way they do and in reality only a very small percentage of people can actually use it, is a bit misleading and can be very frustrating for the casual cruiser.  I am just curious how the general NCL public feels about this process.

I think that the new way of purchasing passes ahead of time is a good idea. This is how it works with thermal suite passes. Maybe if the Vibe isn't full they could offer day passes like they do in the thermal suites?

I am wondering if the Vibe really sells out that quickly anymore? I thought that once they raised the price it did not sell out as quickly? If it is something you are interested in, then you can make a little extra effort to go on your My NCL regularly until they become available. 

Personally, I have never wanted to be in Vibe. I don't lay in the sun like that anymore and do not need my own personal bar. For adult only space I like Spice H2O.  It is good that they have options that do not cost extra.

• Like 1

OP….assuming since you’re here, you know how to get VIBE passes. That means, the question of taking the time and effort to do so is what you’re asking about.

VIBE has limited capacity by design.   You can check to see if it’s available to purchase in advance of your cruise.  Or, you can wait until boarding and take the chance you won’t get one of the VIBE passes.  That’s true for everyone. 

HAVEN guests MAY BE have an advantage because their Concierge(s) have some pull.  That is by no means guaranteed, however.  Plus, Haven guests have paid a fare that’s 2X, 3X, 4x or more for that privilege.

Is it worth it?  Bought a VIBE pass once.  I thought $99/pp was crazy high.  Now, it’s even more expensive.  Worth it?  That’s up to the individual.

I’m of the mind that if you can’t find any place, any bar, any bartender, any hot tub area, any other place on board the ship that you like, the VIBE isn’t going to change that.  It’s not a magical, mystical place. It’s a bar with hot tubs that have limited access.  That’s all it is.

If you want access, pay for it, and make the effort to track down a pass.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jim The Lizard said:

I miss the old days of getting in line at the port at 8:15 am, waiting until 9:30 to start going through security, scribbling out your health questionnaire, checking in hoping to get boarding pass group number one.  Then waiting about 90 minutes in the waiting area watching while people attempt to bribe the poor port employee at the main entrance to let them in first, getting pissed off when you see people standing at the entrance blocking you and your precious group one boarding pass, freaking out when two wedding parties get priority boarding, thinking terrible thoughts about the people boarding ahead of you with mobility issues, racing up the gangplank, jostling with other passengers down hallways and stairs to either the Social or Guest Services.  Stressful, emotional, what a great way to start a vacation (not).  And we’re platinum so we get priority boarding.   Sorry, I’ll take this new process every day, all day.  Simply put, if I book a cruise and I can’t purchase Vibe with it now, I’m booking another date.   However, I will miss the competitiveness of getting the pass and the thrill of victory!  

Ditto. We are Platinum and have only sailed in the Haven. Our July 2023 cruise, we are in a balcony and purchased the Vibe by calling the moment I found out we could (before it even went online).

I thought the same as you that if I cannot get the Vibe in the future, I would adjust my travel date.

It is that important to me for my week's vacation to have a lounge chair and bar service.

I never wanted the Vibe since we hung out in the Haven but I would read the stories on here about

lining up, running, stress leading up to the day of getting on ship, all to get the pass and it made me sweat at my desk just thinking about it LOL

Like you, I will take this new way any day. OP, if someone does research they will know they can book the Vibe online. Isn't it fair to the people that did research to be able to obtain. 

However, what I use to tell my now adult kids, there is no rule everything has to be fair. You figure it out and deal or do something about it to change it. If I didn't do research, I wouldn't have known about the passes being sold and that would be on me, not NCL. 

Anyway, OP, I absolutely love the new system. Doing online is much better than all the stress and running and worrying leading up to it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jim The Lizard said:

Omg best description ever!!  Brilliant!

• Like 1

Is Vibe all that much different from an excursion with a limited number of seats?    I think of the Tracy Arm excursion we did in AK - only 1 boat with fixed number of seats, when that excursion was sold out, it was sold out.  I consider it the best excursion I've been on, it's a shame others didn't get the chance to experience the  the glaciers as up close and personal as we did.   Seems everyone should have had that opportunity if they wanted to. 

Is Vibe really all that different?

I like that you can pre-purchase and my hope is that you can purchase as soon as the cruise is able to be booked.  That will encourage/reward pre-planning.  

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, T3xan said:

Like it or not truth be told their are X Amount of passes they sell for the Vibe. I would guess only 50% if that of the people sailing even know what it is. Their is no really fair way for them to sell the passes. For years you needed to arrive early and then do a made dash to get them. Booking online is at least easier now. Is it fair? Who knows? But that is how they are sold now. 

• Like 1